Lau Gar Discussion

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sub zero, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Ok.

Iknow there are a few LG guys out there who don't post on the alresy exsisting LG thread. I don't know why. Maybe it's becasue your lower grades and me paul and andy tend to tlak about the more "advanced" syllubus.

So where do you train?
    What's your association?
    Who's ur instructor?
    And why do you like LG?

P.S. I fully expect this thread to fall flat on it's face.
    :p

2. stumpy

stumpy Valued Member

Lincolnshire Lau Gar
    BKFA/BCKA
    Paul Reed

I've only recently started. I like the (to me) more complex side of forms as well as the contact element.
    I started because I wanted to try MA for fitness as I was bored of the usual exercise stuff that I did. This was a class that welcomed beginners, didn't expect them to pay rediculous sums in advance.
    Paul is a teacher who draws a lot of enthusiasm and comitment from students. He asks only that you try your best and give it full effort. Not that you are faultless. His lessons are normally good fun as well.

3. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Irvine
    Andy's sepratisit movement :D
    Greyghost aka Fraser. Andy when he isn't there
    its fun helps me develop good standup skills

4. stvn

stvn Valued Member

I train in Ayr with Alan Henderson & occasionally in Irvine with Greyghost & co.
    Both clubs are related to each other (Three Dragon Kung Fu).
    To be honest, I started training in LG because it was the only Kung Fu club in the local area & I didn't fancy starting any of the other available arts at that time.
    I've been training for just over a year now & I'm fitter than I've been in years, but it's only quite recently I've started to really appreciate what I've been doing. I'm working on Jorn Sau just now (going for orange sash soon) and I'm amazed at how much is in the form that I never saw when I first started learning it (& I'm sure its only the tip of the iceberg). I've also started looking at Kay Boon Sau Fa for alternative applications.
    I've been reading the other LG thread & most of what is being said goes straight over my head as I haven't learned the forms being spoken about but I feel encouraged that i'm at least looking in the right direction.
    To cut a long story slightly longer, I can't really put my finger on what I like about LG, but I'm liking it more as time goes by. Who knows, I might feel the same way no matter what art I was training in.
    Long may it continue.
    :D

5. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

I train at my club.
    The Association is irrelevant.
    Andy Murray is my Sifu.
    I don't like Lau Gar...Lau Gar likes me.!

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Sorry of the association question offends. As i am sure you know alot of things differ in llubus etc between associations.Thats the only reason i asked. No politics involved.

Ok so it looks like everyones in scotland apart form stumpy.

stumpy, could you describe a basic training schedule at your club to me?

7. stump

stump Supersub

I no longer practise Lau Gar but when I trained I trained in

UCD Lau Gar club (uni club in Dublin) - Steve Keeley & Steve Spain
    the club was affiliated to the BKFA

Clive parkinsons club in Plymouth - his own organisation

GBMAA club in Worthing, W Sussex - Newton Lowndes was the instructor

Lau Gar is a great form of Kung Fu to teach everyone the basics of striking....I never advanved past Brown Sash so I can;t speak for the higher grade stuff except that I found it not to be for me.

It boasts some fantastic martial artists though

8. Sauron9949

Sauron9949 New Member

lau gar - Kickboxing

Hey, not sure if this is relevent but i train in I.A.K.S.A. Kickboxing, it's based on Lau Gar kung fu. I train with Jayne McLaren in Glasgow, at caledonian Uni's ARC. the chief instructor is David Baptist, he trained with master Yau, and i have been told he really wants to teach lau gar again, so if that happens i think i would start with him.

Sauron

9. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Sauron.

I know Dave Baptiste very well. ;)

There's at least two very different approaches to Lau Gar in Scotland.

Have Fun!

10. Andy Murray

I'd edit but it might offend

Lau Gar has some fantastic Martial Artists.

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I trained with Frank Lynch, along time ago.
    Lau Gar, Newport, Wales (South East Wales).

He used to sometimes teach the class on Rollerskates (I kid you not), hence why the club broke away from him and the BKKF. Then the teacher was Dwtty (Little) Keith, can't remember his other name.

Good fun for three years. Mostly sparring and a few forms and weapons under F Lynch, equal parts sparring, self-defence applics from forms and weapons under Dwtty Keith.

12. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

oh dear.:D

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Sub zero...

no offense taken......it's just never bothered me...

14. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Good.It's hard to get things across just thru typing.

Me neither. I hate politics in MA. Just tha there is as andy said a difference in practices between the differing orgs.

15. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Sokklab

When you say the club broke away....was that during a rollerskate conga by any chance? ;)

Paul

16. SoKKlab

It was just as we were practicising our spinning back heel kicks, we span off out the door and never looked back.

Although we were Inline at the time, after a while we were Baured and Trucked off with his Truckulant Manner, he was (Heel)stopping us from Getting up to Speed. (Ball)Bearing it was too much.

The club took a while to Get Back On It's Feet.
    We were Wheely good though.

17. Andy Murray

*Groans* @ Sokklabs skating jokes!

18. SoKKlab

I only Skated the Truth!

19. Andy Murray

*Scoff* all you may Sokklab,
    but seeing as my first pair of Roller Skates were delivered by post, as strap on attachements to my school shoes (Courtesy of 25 packets of Rolo's) I can't help but be offended by your comments.

Didn't you appear in Cliff Richards' wired for Sound' video?:p

20. SoKKlab

That was me, in the dress.

I skated past Cliff a coupla times. He was a Big Wheel then, but now he is a Heel!

He lost his sense of direction and spun out, they gave him the boot after that. It's just not Hockey, those Ruthless Pucks!

I Rink that you are Baiting me these Skateful comments.
    Since I've been on this forum, I haved Skated a fineline and laced myself in gently, but no more Spin-the thigh's the limit!

A man can only Skate so much before his good sense of Bearing goes.

Oil Tell you something: I am offended at your insulting my Lineage in RollerFu.

I spent many seasons absorbing what was bootful and rejecting what was bootless.

I am now a much better Skater for it. I have had hundreds of streetskates and no one has my speed power and following wind (parp). If you can't take the Grazes...

My Mixed Martial Roller Fu is Better than your Trad Ball Bearing style anyday of the week. And I've got the Ball Bearings to prove it. But you'll have to get InLine.

IME the URC is the only Rink that matters. Only against Fully Re-skating opponents can you hope to Grind.

The puck stops here! Stop practising your outmoded Lines, give them the boot. Rink for yourself Brothers!