Last Three Fights - Critique Please

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Axelator, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I've been in Thailand for the last 5 months and I have an important fight for me coming up under k1 rules. So I'm looking for input on my last three muay thai fights.

The opponents obviously aren't prodigys or Thais that train every day. I think they've either fought as kids then stopped training or just train a bit and fight for money or as a hobby. Anyway they've all had dozens of fights which makes most of them pretty tough and all relaxed in the ring. Though there codnitioning is usually suspect.

It's also hard for me to get Thais at my weight (75kg). The last opponent was embarassingly underweight.

Anywya here are the fights. From oldest to most recent.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yKGXv2hFiI"]YouTube- jake4th.wmv[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT5RND9XdH8"]YouTube- jakejuly10[/ame] - My only loss in standup to date, though I thinkI could have won if it wasn't stopped.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqpTQbyGWw"]YouTube- Jake27thjune.wmv[/ame]

Thanks for any critisms or advice.

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Watched first match ...easy opponent lovely knees to finish ...

Second match it just stopped at 10 mins ...you were mullering him ....what happened/

he was one tough cookie though cause you caught him some beauties..towards the end you started to drop your hands to block or catch his kicks ...

No time to watch 3 yet ..

Good effort

Smurf

3. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

The second guy looks like Dhalsim.

4. Axelator

Thanks. Here's my first fight in late 08 for comparisson. I think I've gotten much better but I want to fight much more regularly now. I've got a long way to go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOYscexWfGA"]YouTube- 1st fight[/ame]

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I'm at work at the mo and can't go to links but I will have a look when I get home. Always enjoy watching guys smacking each other:)

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched some of the second vid. You look real good mate. I don't think I can really offer you any advice..

You looked in great shape, good reaction and footwork, caught the kick well. And your striking combos looked crisp, fast and had power.

I would just say keep up the good work, listen to your coaches and work to adapt what you do to a different ruleset.

Good job, and keep up the good work. Wish you the best in your future fights.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you know, i was actually expecting your name to be axel, not jake :p

kay, here's my uninformed non-nak muay opinion :p

the only thing i can critique is that in the second fight you should have maybe worked the uppercuts and straight punches more. the guy had his arms perpetually covering his sides but you kept throwing wide hooks. compare your flurry at the 6 minute mark with the punches you threw around 2:12, the last of which the guy didn't even react to (although it was a bit out of range :( ), and the uppercuts you hit him with at 2:27. the guy was basically unguarded down the middle (*resists temptation to make wing chun jokes*). i'm thinking you could have pulled a ramon dekkers and teep'd him in the face :D.

other than that, maybe try more supporting leg kicking after grabbing kicks? you seem quite good at grabbing mid-level round kicks but i only saw you kick the support leg once.

all in all, you're quite a good fighter, IMO. props for showing us the videos

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I just took a quick scan through them as I'm hands full at the moment. Nice work bro. Your ability to close from punch range to clinch is good. Good overall MT style structure. Not huge amounts of movement wasted and holding your ground. Diggin' it. I'll give them a closer watch and some comments as soon as I free up. Respect.

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Look good bro, only thing i would suggest and i'm no expert just an oppinion.. maybe throw in some body shots. Looks like you hit pretty hard so they may be benefical and thx for sharing!!!!!

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

YOGA FIRE !!!

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Pressed for time myself, but I did get to watch the first fight. Nothing really negative to say, you did a fine job of keeping the pressure on him, controlling the pace of the match, good defense, and some great striking.

Compared to your first match:

*You keep your hands up a lot more which definitely improved your defense against strikes towards your head.
    *Strikes definitely seemed a lot more crisp and fluid in the first video of the original post
    *A lot more punching in your first video
    *You maintained your guard a lot better now when you're in close and punching
    *A lot more combinations now, in the first fight you were a bit more hunt and peck
    *Very nice transitions into clinching now

Overall I'd say a huge improvement. Nice work. I'll watch the other two once I get a chance.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

So just to confirm, you won the third by decision and lost the second...how? You were comfetably winning when the clip ends.

I was all ready to critique you but you're really damn good so its not easy! Great conditioning as well, you stayed explosive right to the end of each round which isn't easy. Great KO int he first clip as well, real highlight finish!

Couple of things to maybe consider.

Use more combos involving kicks and punches, you're obviously good at them cos the few times you do throw them, at the begining of the second fight for example, they work a treat.

You're got a great high front roundhouse kick that could do serious damage, set it up with something else rather than throw is straight out once in a while and I bet you can land it hard.

Maybe try throwing more faints, your conditioning is so good you're able to throw hard for extended periods of time but it does get predictable at times. Faints would keep them guessing more.

Props though dude, you're really good, fun to watch. Post any others you have.

13. Axelator

Thanks for all the advice. I struggle quite a bit fighting full thai rules to be honest. My clinchwork is pretty poor (Only been clinching 5 months), I never throw elbows and I rely on my hands alot (which scores basically nothing in Thailand).

I definitely agree with using more straight punches and upper cuts. I really need to improve my outside game overall I think. when I'm close and can get under my opponent I feel very comfortable but in full thai when they can just clinch or throw an elbow it's a pretty dangerous place to be. However trying to stand at kicking range and try out kick a thai is normally a bad idea. I seem to have substitued my jab with a left hook too which isn't really a great thing.

also with the body shots. In sparring maybe 50% of my punches are to the body. I like to always work body - head or head - body and then try and finish with a low kick. It's taking a while to make that low kick instinct but it's getting there. I wish I had some videos of me sparring just boxing so you can see how it looks when I dont have to worry about getting elbowed in the face or tied up in the clinch. Once I ge the low kick down I will try to mix it up so I finish my hands with either high, body or low kick.

I think using more feints will make it easier for me to get past the legs and use my hands. I struggle with people who have a very good push kick as they can normally keep me at bay with it.

The 2nd video here I lost as the ref stopped the fight due to a cut near my left eye. The cut was gettign bigger and was about 5mm away from joining up with my eye which apparantly is a big problem. My nose also was broken in the third round of that fight. I was kind of glad that happened because now I know that I wont quit or feel scared when I see my own blood and get beaten up a bit. They had to drag me out of the ring, I was very dissapointed that the fight was stopped.

I guess I will post uip my own list of things I think I need to work on too.

- Don’t move back from kicks
    - Always throw longer combinations with both hands (right)
    - Work on checking kicks
    - Work on technique when leg caught.
    - Less power more speed on combos
    - Use more upper cuts
    - Change angle after attack
    - Practise low kicks so I’m not off balance
    - Move with kick when catching keep body upright.
    - Use left low kick
    - Keep hands up on combinations
    - Work on parrying push kicks
    - Use More Kicks

I'll be adding quite a few of the points on this thread to the list. I have a k1 fight in Korea on the 21st of august so I'm really trying to step up my game for that. I think k1 rules or modified thai rules is where I can be sucessful so this fight is really important to me.

14. prana16

prana16 New Member

I think people are a little confused as its the third video is the one where you are cut not the second.. at least for me.
    Fights look good though. I'd say kick more as well or you may find yourself losing on points even if you are generally dominating and controlling the fight. Kicks looked good might as well use them.. Good composure and pace as well.
    You say these are your last 2 fights, how many fights have you had in thailand?
    You got some decent opponents in those fights at least.. maybe undersized but at least they were game and obviously knew how to throw a kick.

15. Axelator

Ah ****, I made a mistake in my original post. The second video I won by dec. That was my most recent fight. The thrid was the fight before last and I lost by ref stoppage due to the cut.

I've had all 4 of my Muay Thai fights in Thailand. I hadn't done any Thaiboxing before coming to Thailand only kickboxing.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Bro you're doing well. You seem to have picked up a fairly good structure. By that I mean a posture and a movement. Lot's of people don't manage it. Perhaps you are better off not having studied Muay Thai prior. I say that sincerely as it means you didn't develop any bad habits. I've got a few of those bad habits myself.

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

1st fight: Nice knee and a nice first fight. Bet you were glad to get past that hurdle
    3rd fight: Hell of a step up in opponent. Couldn't believe that first elbow he threw. Guess he was trying to tell you something from the outset. I liked the way you came back after the doc had checked you out. Shows courage
    2nd fight: Nice grabs but you kept letting him go? At least a sweep please

The K1 fight. Is that K1 rule one fight or a K1 event?

Very impressed

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

+1 on being impressed. Showing a lot of composure and you're not afraid to stand in the pocket and fight. I can't critique because I'd barely be able to get on the flight to Thailand let alone get in the ring. A big round of applause from me. :)

19. Axelator

My first fight in Thailand I didn't post up. They nearly always give you a crappy opponent first to assess your skill level. So I basically got a human punching bag. I still fought badly as it was my first full thai fight, but won by KO in the third.

The k1 fight is not in the organisation k1 it just uses k1 rules. I think it's some S Korean promotion, k1/ muay thai is pretty big over there. I'm pretty nervous, there's three guys the gym I'm at going. One is a Thai who has nearly 200 fights and was ranked number 1 in Rajadamnern stadium at his weight. The other is a prodigy from Germany who's only 18 but has about 25 fights, been training in Thailand for a long time and has already fought and won in this promotion. Then there's me who has 7 fights.

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's the standard stand-up ruleset at our shows. You can then change it to MT or to kickboxing. Will aggression score in Korea?