Large organization's a ripoff?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mmafiter, Jun 17, 2002.

1. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

Oooooh, that title should get some people's attention.:D

I thought this might be a pertinent question. What do you think of large organizations and governing bodies?

I think generally they are good for martial arts and bring a sense of community and friendship into play. On the other hand there is at times a sense that money is a major factor, and politics can always rear its ugly head.

I've been a part of a couple of major organizations and they were pretty good, but I did see that ugly side a few times.

What do you think? Flame away!:woo: :D

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ours has its politics and money issues, but fortunately that is kept seperate from the actual teaching as much as possible. To be honest any large organisation is going to have problems with politics, its simply the way things work. We're lucky enough to have a grandmaster who has the final say in everything and who can intervene if things get particularly bad.

3. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

The International Kenpo Karate Assocaition has always been about:
    1. Preserving the Art
    2. Being the Best you can Be

The IKKA has never been about money, it has always been about being good enough to be a member, upholding the ideals of a martial artist and even better being an instructor of this organization.

I have been half way around the world, I have experienced the most popular martial arts like Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan and others to the most exotic like Vovinam and Vajra Mukti. The quest always leads me back to the most profound of experiences, life is a circle of Kenpo and no matter what I will see in my life I have seen it or been exposed to it by the grace of Master Edmund Keoloha Parker.

By the way the IKKA is amoung the largest Karate oraganizations in the world with several Million practitioners, I am but a lowly and common 5th degree black belt. There are 1765 of us in the entire world under the IKKA.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Large organisations a ripoff???

The IKKA is obviously a great example of a large organisation. 1,765 5th Degree members? Wow :eek:

Anyone who has been around this forum for a while will know that Thomas does not feel ripped off, nor does he rip others off. Thomas lives and breathes Kenpo, and is as happy teaching one person as teaching twenty. A living breathing example that his organisation, large as it is, is by no way, shape or form a ripoff.

Sadly the same cannot for every organisation.

Better to ask;

Is the organisation large because it gives value for money?

or

Is the organisation large because it needs to make money?

Two questions divided by a fine line.

Thomas, If I ever get over there, I'll be checking out Kenpo.

Andy

5. gojutejutsuryu

gojutejutsuryu New Member

Affiliations to large "International" Organisations.

Eddie,
    Just read your short moan, or was it,?, about Big International Organisations. Interesting.! Can we with do without them, I dont think so. Yes, money does rear(pun) its ugly head now and again, but they DO provide a great service for Indepenent Martial Artists and the ilk. Also, you can virtually buy any diploma/certificate you like, on line thru a lot of these organisations, so, if you want to be a master of what-ever style you care to invent, you can be. Does it make it right.?.
    Personally, I detest that sort of behaviour and false-hood, but after 41 years in the study of the Martial Sciences, I'm a traditionalist and I believe I will remain one.
    A certificate earned thru hard sweat and continuous training, is after all, worth it.
    BUT, do certificates of rank really matter in the long run.?

Keep up the questions.

GojuTejutsuryu.

6. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I know of some orgs that all they worrie about is the all mighty dollar/pound/yin or whatever.

I am proud to say that our Org is not like that. The International Tae Kwon Do Union provides an Organization for all who practice TaeKwonDo regardless of age, race, sex, religion, rank or style. Politics are left out so that people my study, teach and learn together with that major hassle. Im just glad that i can say that im apart of them.