Language Learning

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Master J, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

So I have the option of learning a language at college along with my regular course. It's a 2 hour per week evening class.

Should I advance my French, or learn a new language (German, Italian, Turkish)?

I like to learn new languages as I love be able to speak with new people in new countries. Or should I just learn a new language in my spare time? Anyone have experience doing this?

2. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

I have friends from all over the world, so I just pick out words here and there and use them in everyday sentences. For example, I have a friend from Mexico, so whenever I see him I say "hola". With some of my other friends I speak Arabic. I have a friend from Greece, so I say "gausu" (hello).

It's best if you interact with people who speak the language so then you can pronounce it, listen to it, and use it in conversations.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

:D
    Naw... they have the same keyboard... just different input methods to arrive at the character and the strokes they need. They can also input via a stylus - like a wacom pen and tablet.

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I envy folks that can speak more than one language. My wife speaks 3 fluently and passably another 3. Her mom speaks 9. I speak 2, English and bad English. Tired speaking Hindi, once. The little beggar boy nearly had a coronary laughing at me. I can get by in Spanish, if I have to.

I find that I can understand spoken languages far easier than I can speak them.

Go for a new language. I think that people that can speak more than one, have a far easier time learning new ones.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol... if your wife is Indian then you're already on your way to learning Hindi... Star TV on the latest Indian serial or Bollywood film is pretty much a condition of marriage. :D

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Hindi. That's another language I've gotsta learn.
    You know...being half Indian and all ;)

Is it hard?

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

My wife isn't much of a Hindi movie watcher. She's more of the intellectual type (how did she get hooked up with me? Opposites and all that), so we don't get much of it in the house. My daughter picks it up everytime she goes to India. I try to encourage my wife to speak it to her as much as possible around the house, but she finds it hard to do so without someone else here to speak it. But, my daughter does pick it up fast. Plus, she watches Dora and picks up the Spanish pretty fast.

Me, I struggle with Japanese, even with my wife speaking it semi-fluently and it's the one language I wish I could speak. Spanish, I can get by with effort. Otherwise, I try and learn enough to be polite (thanks, hello, goodbye, beer please) in what ever language of whatever country I am in.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Hehe. French was the one language I've refused to learn even the basics of.
    I even said thank you to everyone in English over there.

Cheese eating, surrender monkeys ;)