Langkah application

Discussion in 'Silat' started by silek, May 12, 2006.

1. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi Taker,

I'm a little confused by your post. In your system, a punch is considered a langhka? Perhaps there is a confusion of terminology, but langhka in the conventional sense refers to the lower body movements, and not to things like punches and blocks. While punches and strikes ARE performed during the langhka, they don't constitute the langhka themselves, as they aren't required for the movement (I hope this makes sense!).

Admitedly I don't know too much about Malaysian silat, so it just may be a case of lost on translation.

Also, I would have to differ or your comment that locks are crucial. While they may have their places under certain specific circumstances, I don't think they are crucial for each application per se. You can never second guess how your going to finish a fight off. It may well be to smash a brick in someones head if that's what the situation at the precise moment dictates... a world away from a lock! (Apart from getting locked up in prison if caught! :) )

Cheers,
    Wali

2. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Langkah

Peace to all,

Wali, it is a case of lost in translation. Your system thinks of langkah as steps in the sense of where the feet and legs go, which is correct. But langkah also means a move, as in a move in chess. In this context, a langkah can be a slap or a poke just like Taker is using it.

Warm salaams,
    Bram

3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Aha... The importance of context!

Thanks Bram.

4. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Perhaps that, like in chess, it means that you make a step with every move you make. you dont' stay in the same spot, even if you move 1 inch ;)

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Terminology varies from country to country, sometimes even street to street. No biggie.

Insisting that everything end with a lock is a biggie. Sometimes a lock is a good technique. Sometimes it is a stupid one. If you want style points from the judges it makes sense. If it really is "beladiri" it might be wiser to focus on the goal of neutralizing the attack rather than performing a particular movement. "I did the lock! Wasn't it pretty?" is cold comfort indeed when you are trying to tell the future by looking at your own entrails (hint: the oracle says "Short" :) ) Means and ends. It's always a good idea to keep them clear.

It also depends on what sort of attack you are dealing with. Is your goal to keep drunk uncle Fred from driving off with a blood alcohol level of .4? Something that keeps him immobilized and uses pain to focus his attention might be a good idea. An angry ex-boyfriend wants to kill you for leaving him? Mmm. Nope. Once you have him locked up what do you do, wait for him to see reason, shake your hand and go home? There's one where the "break it and move on to the next thing that needs breaking" or "Enter, while hitting, throw him on the ground, and do the tarantella on his head until it's not the same shape any longer" makes much more sense.

If it makes the performance artists happier she can make the takedown picture perfect and strike a pose before stomping an artistically correct mudhole in him. And wear a sarong while she does it. I assure you, not one in a thousand of the people who've ever done silat or silek or whatever the local name is will say "That wasn't silat. I didn't see a lock at the end."

You should never, ever make performing a technique more important than winning the fight. The technique might be the wrong one. It might not work. It might be the wrong fight.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Hi Todd,

I agree fully

Hormat Pekir

7. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Actually I disagree (slightly) ... that should read "you should never, ever, ever, EVER make performing a technique more important than winning the fight". :D

Salam

8. Taker

Taker Valued Member

Peace to All,

I see many opinions posted regarding locks in Silat's buah. Well each of us has their rights to address their thoughts, just as I will elaborate some more on Silat in Malaysia.

In many of the biggest Silat styles in Malaysia, locking techniques are crucial. So crucial in fact that locking buahs has became the spotlight of choice to promote the aliran to the public. Even in demonstrations, buah kuncian (locking techniques) is the top priority to show the public how good silat as a martial art can be.

In my style, Silat Cekak Hanafi, out of 21 defensive buahs, only 1 of them didn't end with a lock, the other 20 uses locks to finish the opponent. So why does locks is considered important?

There's more to locks than "keeps him immobilized and uses pain to focus his attention". I'll try to explain this based on my style of Silat.

1. Crush the opponent.
    You said that you wanted to "do the tarantella on his head until it's not the same shape any longer", for me its better to do it when he was locked. Locks should let you manipulate him easily without jeopardising your own safety, and let you "play" with him for good measure. ;)

2. Stop a fight.
    You had accidentally ****ed off your friend, he lost his temper and now grabs a baseball bat. He lunges forward to attack, so do you mudhole-stomp him till he's lifeless? :confused: There are locks that can be used to stop him with minor damage, and gives the opportunity to talk his senses back.

3. Neutralize weapons.
    I've seen police reports that shown a knife user still grabs his weapon tightly in his hands even after being shot. It shows just how high the motivation of an attacker can be to ensure a succesful attack. You don't think with just a punch and kick he'll drop the knife don't you? In my system we use locks to disarm the opponent and uses it back onto him (makan diri).

4. Defeat the opponent.
    In my style there are buahs that crucially require locks, as it's the locks that put him down. There are locks that break the neck, dislocate the shoulder, crush the larynx and my favourite, make him eat the sand. :D

This is as far as I can elaborate. Again this is my humble opinion based on my style and surely it differs from yours, but anyway I do dope this post helps in one way or another. :Angel:

9. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Hi Taker,

Others could hardly discuss or debate your style on it's preference on locking techniques. It would be the same as going into a debate on wether (for example) Aiki Jitsu is a inferiour or better MA than silat is. I'm pretty sure (and hope) there are not many, probably none, of the members on this thread who would debate on this, since every art has it's virtues and is as good as it's practitioner.

As for the meaning of words. You refer to 'buah kuncian' as locking technique. An Indonesian teacher once talked to me about 'kunci' when he showed a technique. He used kunci in the sense of 'the essence' of the technique, which one could translate as 'key'. Just to show the different use of the more or less same words.

Hormat,
    Pekir

10. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Salam Taker,
    First of all, you are using the same logo as mine. ;)
    As a beginer in Aikijutsu and Silat, I can speaks without prejudice. Both are conected and complementary to each other. That's all I can tell you.
    Beware of using the hold's or wrist manipulation or locking technique. Your objective is not get hit! To many students applying this technique very carelessly. They apply the technique as they were practicing in the dojo, by grapping the incoming attack. It would be almost imposible to grab the experience boxer jab. They should learn how to avoid/deflect then atemi before attempted to grab their opponent hands or part of the attacker's body. Otherwise, you will be in deep doo doo.
    Taker, you are talking about disarming the attacker who have a baseball bat. Only in the movie that can happen or during the demo which the attacker only do one swing slowly or fast and furious but with control and/or the attacker was hurting and unable to swing his bat. Lastly, small space will hindered his movement with bat, we may be able to take an advantages on that situation. Other than the above. Don't assume you can, it can harmful to your health :)

Yes we all learned weapons disarmament to some degree. Use it wisely, use it as the last option. But again, I can be wrong too.
    Tristan

11. Taker

Taker Valued Member

Peace to All,

Firtsly about the locking techniques, as I mentioned in my post about tapak, my style of silat is using tapak dua as the foundation:

1. Block, step and hit (simultaniously) 2. Lock

In the first tapak I will block the attack, step forward and hit the attacker. Many of you posted about the hit is the key thing in a fight, and I never throw it away! I do say that I'll hit him before he is to be locked. I never said that I lock him first before hitting him. Hit is extremely important, and for a man who belives highly in silat locks like me, it'll be more crucial.

Some say we must never do anything much more important than techniques that wins the fight, and I never say to my fellow students that it doesn't. The hit or Pemakan is the #1 priority, and locking the attacker is a bonus.

About the attacker with the bat, if you had read my post a little bit more closely, I mentioned that what if he is your best friend, who just got mad at you 2 minutes ago because you just said something that ****ed him off? (your fault!)

Choice #1; Let him beat you to a pulp, cause HE IS your friend that just lose some screws for the moment :eek: .

Choice #2; Hit him back as hard as you can, because HE WAS your friend until he decided to attack you :woo: .

Choice #3; Run as fast as you can to the nearest police station and lock yourself up in a cell so that he can't come near you, because HE ISN'T your friend, just some street thugs trying to beat you up :confused: .

Choice #4; Use a technique with minimal damage, lock him and talk him to his senses back, because YOU ARE his friend and want to clear the situation :Angel: .

For me I would choose the fourth one, and that concludes my opinion, hope it'll help in one way or another :D .

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  12. tellner

tellner Valued Member

It depends very much on circumstances. As I said, if it's someone who is a bit out of control but still basically alright and likely to respond to reason when he's had a chance to calm down minimal force pain-compliance is great. If you plan on using it as your main strategy to deal with a violent crime that places you in danger of injury or death, then with no real respect at all, I would say you are a damned fool if you put yourself at risk to keep from hurting the criminal. And if you endanger a loved one for the sake of an attacker's well-being you have taken complete leave of your senses and all morality.

13. Orang Jawa

I'm with you bro,
    Your friend will not trying to hit you with baseball bat, if he did, than he is not your friend. And you are in Indian Country..... :bang:
    Well, my BS bell is ringing again. I better keep my mouth shut! :rolleyes:
    Tristan

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  14. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Well, yes. If he's coming after you with a baseball bat he's not a friend. He's a murderous criminal. That's why the second part was included.

Exactly what portion of my post did you consider to be BS? Would you put your wife at even a particle of extra risk in order to make a criminal safer? Would any husband?

15. Taker

Taker Valued Member

Peace to All,

Well everyone have the rights to address their opinion, as well as to believe what they think is right.

About the bat attacker, how can your friend be a murderous criminal after it's you who makes him ****ed off? In my opinion, as a Muslim I should apologize and be friends again, and to make him listen to me, I could lock him for a minute or two, apologize and talk to him, release the lock while continue talking and let him cool down. It may take time, but at least I'm not losing a friend and break the Silaturrahim with anyone, which is a very big sin :bang: .

About how locks are important, all I can say is that's just how my style thought me. I just can't go to my grandmaster and say, "Hey, someone in the internet just said that locks aren't good. So why don't we throw it away eventhough it's the core of this silat that our ancestors passed down to us", can I? :confused: I believe in my style, as should everyone of us believe in each own unique art.

We are all from different styles with different methods, approach and teachings, but again our objectives are the same; to learn the art of self-defence, and to preserve the authenticity of this art known to the world as Silat.

About the wife topic, I don't know how that stemmed but for me, I'll just make sure she knows Ibu Gayong and Bisik Semak before I marry her, then it'll never be a problem :D . This is my opinion an I hope it helps in any way.

16. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

salaams all
    just to add my 1 euro to the discussion, langkah ,as in footwork, weight distribution, and evasive positioning is 90% of our silat Melayu - along with kuda kuda , which is the essential ingredient.
    Taker -From what I have seen of Silat cekak it appears to have dropped the kuda kuda , is this the case ?

ciao

sulaiman

17. Taker

Taker Valued Member

Peace to All,

I'm sure Mas Sulaiman has watched a few live demonstrations or videos maybe on Silat Cekak :cool: . Yes our style didn't have kuda-kuda, even tough almost every other silat style here in Malaysia, perhaps 99.9%, used kuda-kuda as their base, as far as to differ one style to the other you can just know it by looking at their kuda-kuda.

But Silat Cekak differs from all, and easily noticed, by standing straight while waiting for the opponents' attack. There are reasons as for why we dropped the kuda-kuda, as well as the bunga that comes along with it (there's no point for bunga without kuda-kuda).

One of them is to confuse the attacker that the Silat Cekak practitioner isn't a martial artist. By standing straight, the foe will think that he/she is "lauk" or easy prey, and then at the crucial moment he/she counters back when the foe least expected :eek: .

The other one is to train the practitioner to be ready at all, and I mean all, times. As we are ready by standing straight when facing the attacker, we develop ourselves to be ready for attacks whenever we're standing straight.

Ready = Stand Straight
    Stand Straight = Ready

That's all I can elaborate for now. Perhaps you could drop by to any nearest Silat Cekak Hanafi classes if you're in Malaysia, or you can visit http://vertika.dynu.com/cekakhanafi/indexpersilatan.php3 for more info, in Malay of course. Hope this post helps in one way or another :D .

18. Orang Jawa

Salam Todd,
    My appology, I was not reffering a BS ring to your comment, but to the person who made the first comment. :)
    I agree with you bro, I would never put my new bride even in nano risk, its only three weeks, may be later? Just kidding bro ;)
    Tristan

19. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Thanks Tristan. Speaking of brides, how is married life treating you?

20. Orang Jawa

Life is good, Todd, thanks!
    This ugly face is still glowing :) I hope it will never go away but I can't expect the impossible, right. Therefore, I'm going to enjoy it while it last :)
    Tristan