Langenschwert's Kunst des Fechtens Reading and Viewing List

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Langenschwert, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi guys,

For those interested in Historical German Martial Arts, here are some resources I've found useful:

DVDs:

The Longsword of Johannes Liechtenauer (this is THE DVD to get for longsword)

The Messer of Johannes Leckuchner (excellent)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfuMYqfmACM&feature=related]Here's a preview of "The Wrestling of Master Ott"[/ame] by Ringschule Wroclaw. They have two DVDs on Ott's wrestling. I have the first one, and it's very well done. You'll have to dig their email out of their posts on SFI. Worth every penny.

I.33 Medieval sword and buckler part 1 (a short but very well-done DVD dealing with the first few techniques of I.33: concise, elegant and insightful. The nicest I.33 interpretation I've seen)

Books and Manuals:

Fighting with the German Longsword (vey well written and useful for breaking down the system into logical if/then sequences. Mr. Tobler is a master communicator)

Secrets of German Swordsmanship: Sigmund Ringeck's Commentaries on Liechtenauer's Verse

SIGMUND RINGECK’S KNIGHTLY ART OF THE LONGSWORD

SIGMUND RINGECK’S KNIGHTLY ARTS OF COMBAT

POLEARMS OF PAULUS HECTOR MAIR (I don't have this one, but a student of mine praises it highly)

The Medieval Art of Swordsmanship: A Facsimile & Translation of the World's Oldest Personal Combat Treatise (I.33)

Medieval Sword And Shield: The Combat System of Royal Armouries MS I.33, companion to The Medieval Art of Swordsmanship

The Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570 by Joachim Meyer

I hope folks find this useful. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I hope do dont mind me jumping in a posting some more sources. Ive been personally trained by the author.

Some more.
    Not high quality pictures but the information is high quality.
    Fencing With Spear and Sword: Medieval Armored Combat
    Introduction to Liechtenauer's Longsword
    Grappling and Dagger Combat in Armor
    The Last Resort: Unarmored Grappling and Dagger Combat
    The last just came out and being reveiwed by Hugh to make sure there are no errors, so it is advisable to wait if you wanted to buy the grappling book.

3. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

me n polar bear were seriously unimpressed with the dvd The Longsword of Johannes Liechtenauer. they were up on their toes, the footwork and some of the techniques looked japanese to bears experienced eye and some of the moves demonstrated looked down right dangerous if you tried them in freeplay. its up on the dvd shelves and is unlikely ever to be taken down and watched again.

got no probelm with Fighting with the German Longsword and Secrets of German Swordsmanship: Sigmund Ringeck's Commentaries on Liechtenauer's Verse. They've help make me the sword armed nutter I am today. :cool:

Medieval Sword And Shield: The Combat System of Royal Armouries MS I.33, companion to The Medieval Art of Swordsmanship I have this one and one day hope to get round to actually reading it. got it half price on Book Depository

The Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570 by Joachim Meyer Also got this one half price on BookDepository. I love a discount!

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Really? I quite liked it. It's not perfect, though. I happen to think some of the zornhau binds bring the hands too low, which shortens the range a bit too much, and allows for someone striking higher to get his strong on your weak too easily.

Interestingly enough, their main background before HES was FMA, not JSA.

One thing to consider (having done some TV and a fair amount of recording studio work myself) is that filming/recording multiple "takes" seriously tires one out mentally, leaving a few rough edges. Then the editing process might take scenes that are better visually then they are martially. Not really an excuse, but certainly a variable in this kind of endeavour.

Perhaps it would be cool to start a thread dissecting the DVD so we can all benefit from each other's experience and analytical skills?

Best regards,

-Mark

5. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

There was a lot we didn't like. I watched it twice and then took it round to the bears and we watched it again. The evening turned into a bit of a flame session (although I have pinched a couple of drills I rather liked).

Wasn't happy with the lazy vomtag and it all went downhill from there.

It was a few months ago we went over the disc so might have to lend it to bear while he sharpens his claws for another flaming :eek:

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Ah, the lazy Vom Tag. I think they get that from the illustrations in the Von Danzig MS. I experiment with it from time to time, just for fun. For messer, it seems better than for longsword. Durer seems to show such a pose. It does help one telegraph less, since you can't c0ck the sword back as easliy (can't believe that was censored!). I even used it in a tournament just to see how it would work under pressure. It made for a nifty Schielhau.

Personally, I don't favour it. It makes it harder to bind a significantly taller opponent with a Zornhau, and it does seem to shorten range a bit. The available power seems less as well.

Best regards,

-Mark

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Oh it gets much worse than the lazy vomtag.
    The wandering around changing guards for absolutely no reason and infact leaving openings because both guys were moving in a rythmn and so all you would need to do would to break the rythmn and they are done for.
    Measure was all over the place.
    Repeated holes on their guard.
    Footwork was a shambles, mismash of kendo and Leichtenauer.
    On the plus side some nice ideas from drills.

The Bear.