Kyokushin or MMA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by yingyangzen, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It is?

Cool that's my problems with the neighbours sorted.

:D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. yingyangzen

yingyangzen Valued Member

I have to say after reading everything, I am stunned and so thankful...you guys really have done your home work and really take what you do and learned seriously. I have learned so much from all you...I apologize if anything I said may have come off in any offending way..but none the the less we all have to get things off our chest. So in conclusion if we have reached that point.. My question was...Kyokushin or MMA? I leaned more to Kyokushin because of the honor and tradition it represents, plus the conditioning of mind and body. Okay, a lot of people would say MMA is the complete all around fighting style, ground and stand up, but if I have the skills of a kyokushin karateka, I wouldn't even have to go to ground, or try to, I would finish the fight standing up. This is my take on it...the point of this thread was to see YOURS...and by seeing yours comparing it with mine...I have always felt which many of us do that there is no one style that is greater than the other...its all about the individual who makes it what it is..Correct me if im wrong. I do appreciate all the replies honestly.

3. yingyangzen

@ Late for Dinner, I am not here to discuss Isshin ryu, and I certainly dont need a history lesson about Isshin Ryu unless your going to tell me something my books havent already. This thread was about Kyokushin Or MMA. not my previous styles. Personally I believe that it all comes down to what the individual is looking for and whats to represent or lets just make this easy...personal preference am I wrong or right?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sweet zombie jeebers man! I am all for liking what you do for personal rather than pargmatic reasons but under no circumstances should ANY belief like this enter your thought process!!

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I think the problem was comments like this:

Do you study a weapon art?

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Haha, "but if I have the skills of a kyokushin karateka, I wouldn't even have to go to ground, or try to, I would finish the fight standing up."

Cool story bro, perhaps you should try out this bad-asserry in a ring/cage and become UFC champion.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

shhhhhh the more people walking around thinking this the better :D

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just be honest with yourself. I happen to like the formality of some arts and I like training in a dobok/gi. That's not wrong or right, it's just my personal preference. If you prefer the atmosphere of a kyokushin class just do kyok.

You'll save a fortune on Tapout gear too :D

Mitch

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I will punch the crud out of an MMA fighter's chest to defend Kyokushin's honor.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Me too. Covers up a developing paunch much better than t-shirts too.
    Not that two svelte and trim adonises such as ourselves would need that sort of thing. :(

11. yingyangzen

On my way to the store after thinking about this a little deeper I have to ask...Why would anyone Choose MMA over Traditional Martial arts? Now looking at the history of traditional martial arts compared to MMA? why would YOU choose or anyone choose to do MMA over Traditional martial arts. A purest...who has trained in Traditional martial arts, I believe in my opinion views the world much differently then an MMA fighter...Is there not much more depth? What about the spiritual part? Or Serenity? OR becoming one with yourself, living in harmony? ok these are things that can be achieved without martial arts but lets say someone decided to seek these things through martial arts...Would you recommend MMA? or Traditional..there has got to be more depth than just a ring or cage...It cant all be a test of man hood? Our traditional martial art tournaments the same as MMA? Obviously the rules change everything...MMA is as real as it gets, or is Kyokushin as real as it gets? What is more likely to happen on the street? My street fights only last a few seconds or less..Whats your take on this then? and please read carefully before replying. Someone preach me Intelligence = )

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Dear god man, make sentences and then separate into paragraphs or at least bullet points!

Firstly I would not recommend martial arts to anyone trying to gain anything in the way of spirituality or philosophy.

Secondly fighting is fighting is fighting. What I mean is there is no "nothing more." when it comes to martial arts beyond the moral conundrums of turning someone's head into pulp. It's a way of teaching combative proficiency.

Traditionally martial arts tournaments and MMA aren't that different. Actually Vale Tudo would probably be closer to TMA tournaments in their original form. It use to be just show up and fight... Sometimes to the death.

Your street fights? Hahaha. The fact that you even term it as such shows the level of immaturity in your combative education and that more than likely it's a schoolyard scuffle. Even the life or death situations I've been in I wouldn't term as street fights. I'd quite simply call it an attempt to stay alive. There's no "fight" about it. Just scrambling to not get killed.

13. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

why not do both

Kudo is a mix of Kyokushin and Judo, giving a good range of techniques.
    You said your fights last seconds? do you habitually batter people? do you wear offensive t-shirts?
    I havent had a fight for years and that was from my security job!

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

so despite your claims to the contrary you have learned nothing from this thread. This actually seems to be turning into a bit of a troll job.

15. yingyangzen

Wow, I think you guys get fustrated way to quickly, where is your patience at? If some of you are teachers or own schools I cant imagine how your students feel.

@1888 if you feel this is turning into a troll job then simply go somewhere else..thats not so hard to do is it? If someone is genuinely seeking information or to be educated this is how you respond?

@Sketco I do tend to get carried away and just type ill work on that..and thanks for answering my questions however Id like to see other peoples imput.

I have learned so much from this thread however If I have a question then I am going to ask it whether it is dumb or not...I am not another "know it all" I do practice and I take the time to really understand what someone is saying or asking..without making anyone feel stupid or other wise..No one here is better than anyone..regardless of your knowledge or experience. Help others to understand..Not feel stupid or Negative..

16. yingyangzen

@Slasha, I was speaking from past street fights, and I also work security= )"Orlando" is pretty rough buddy... now a days i dont have to lift a finger I can pretty much talk my way out of almost anything. Picking up my hands isnt even on my mind in all honesty. but should it happen Im confident that i will be ok..and if it turns out that im not..well thats life we cant win them all can we?

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

FYI - Isshin-Ryu was founded in 1956. 30 years after the Gracies founded their jiu-jitsu academy, and over a thousand years after Muay Thai.

How is it more traditional than those arts, by chance?

18. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

To answer the original post I don't think a good mma gym will have the bad attitude you talked about, doubtlessly some do, but I can name some tma schools that do as well.

You seem to like karate (me too :), great art) so go wil kyokoshin, I don't know much about their style but its very different from shorin ryu, less emphasis on being hard to hit, more emphasis on not caring if you get hit.

19. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I'm not saying its more traditional, I don't dare enter that debate, but kyokoshin as a style may be new, but it's roots are much older. Not a thousand years old, but karate as we know it took form in the eighteen hundreds, at least shorin ryu karate did anyway.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You are being accused of trolling because you patently do not read what is being said

Ever that or you are ESL and don't grasp the intricacies

Either way you are wrong