Kyokushin or MMA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by yingyangzen, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You are acting like a ****. Stop it.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Countdown to ban in 5-4-3.....

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Actually ignore that.

You are acting like a Lou.

4. yingyangzen

yingyangzen Valued Member

Off to class fellow students thank you so much for your information and your kindness to give it... you all have been plenty helpful. this thread has reached its conclusion and I have all of you to thank for that..Adios via con diego = )

5. Typhoon535

Typhoon535 New Member

I've been involved in Martial Arts/Combat for a long time as well as very interested in their history so I wanted to way in my own opinion.

Martial arts were created for combat with a lot of emphasis on unarmed combat. Now one thing you have to remember that hand to hand combat was almost never a primary means of defense it was almost always secondary for a very large majority of marital arts. Just like for the samurai the Katana was NOT a primary weapon they are (believe it or not) not the best sword duelists in history. Why am I bringing this up? Well the same romantizing has happened with the martial arts used that happened with the idea that the Samurai were the best sword wielders (renaissance era lords were the best in history because of the frequent duels).

Now obviously the world has evolved, a martial art that was used during an era where after you lost your spear and sword you had a small chance to apply a technique and disarm your opponent, is not relevant today no matter how you look at it. A lot of these martial arts stuck around for one of two reasons: people wanting to preserve and learn that martial art for tradition, the martial art turned into a sport.

As a result today today martial arts fall into 3 basic categories: Traditional (taught the old school way with little change to the style itself), Sport, and for the same reason that the samurai learned technqiues in disarming opponent if they were ever weaponless today military and law enforcement learn disarming and take down techniques for the same reason.

If you want to learn self defense learning anything besides the 3rd category is not the best way to achieve your goal plain and simple. I don't care how awesome or deadly your traditional martial art is, if it really did well against a meth head attacking a disarmed police officer I grantee you it would be used, it's not.

If you want to learn a traditional martial the traditional way as part of history and a hobby, then more power to you. There is nothing wrong with it and you will learn some self defense techniques that are applicable. BUT where you will go wrong is in thinking that your traditional martial art is somehow superior in self defense to the real defense arts and more applicable to sports than the proven sports arts. Once again a lot of people learn things the traditional way for example horseback riding, knife throwing, old era smithing techniques to create historical swords. The main difference is these people aren't delusional that the old methods are better than the new, there is a reason why they are the old methods.

Last we have sports which someone has kindly pointed out dates back than most traditional martial arts for example Pancreatia (Greek equivalant of MMA except more violent beleive it or not). Death in Pancreatia was quite common and with the everything goes rules it's not surprising. Now sports people also often make the mistake of thinking that just because they are used to taking on one opponent, and often times are quite good at it, that they are somehow adept at combat. This is ridiculous sports do not teach multiple opponent confrontations, they do not teach how to fight against your average thugs and gangbangers who are not there to respect any rules and will use any sharp object lying around. Put a professional MMA fighter vs a 130 lbs kid from the phillipines and he'll get stabbed before he even knows that a confrontation is happening. They will not wait to acknowledge a fight that is a sport and the difference in confrontation is very very different.

Now as a closing I would simply like to say that know why you want to learn a martial art and know the limitations of the category you decided to learn. Me personally I love them all. Each has something very interesting to offer and in my opinion everyone should have at least a basic knowledge of the other categories from the one they decide to specialize in.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There's a flaw in that line of reasoning, UNLESS you've gone against multiple weapon-wielding opponents who aren't following any rules. Because, if you haven't, then you're in much the same spot as the sports fighter. Minus the assurances that you can hold your own against a single, well-trained and -conditioned athlete.

Just a thought.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Well, that and the fact that if the sort of person who can compete at a professional level in MMA genuinely wants to be able to deal with knives, ambushes and multiple opponents, he's going to get training appropriate to that and generally will apply the same pragmatism and work ethic to it that allowed him to become a professional fighter. Add in his conditioning, experience and attitude gained from years of actually fighting competent opponents every day and you have someone who shouldn't be taken lightly.

Rarely do I see competitive martial artists from full-contact, all-ranges venues like MMA with any significant illusions about what real fighting entails and how what they do carries over.
    I cannot say the same for the RBSD crowd.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Frank mir talkes RBSD, Gun and knife fighting -

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=P5HLvMqEx9Y[/ame]

9. Aleksandar

Aleksandar New Member

Did you mean Saleh Stevens MMA?