Kyokushin and Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Bruce_Lee93, May 11, 2010.

1. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

Hey everyone, sorry I've been silent for so long, my computer hates me...:bang::bang:
    Anyway, do you think that Karate and Kickboxing go together? I recently started crosstraining in kickboxing as well as training in Kyokushin... how well to they complement each other?

PS: NO TROLLING!!!:woo::woo:

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

In all fairness this sounds like a bit of a trolling question...

why would you want to train kyokushin with kickboxing? What is the point? They both do the same thing, albeit in slightly different ways. All you're going to do is confuse yourself.

Can I lock the thread now?

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I train knockdown and thai together (in fact the style of Karate I do is founded on linking the two). I know "kickboxing" is so generic as to be meaningless by and large, but they can work together.

5. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

I do shotokan and Muay Thai. I do not feel it is confusing at all. They both have their advantages and disadvateges. Karate works for me with timing distancing and keeping a good outside range. My Muay Thai works for me on the inside at a closer range, and of course in the clinch.

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

sounds like a great idea to me.
    your kyoko knowledge will bring a lot to the table at KB sessions.
    will be interesting to compare to contitioning of the pratitioners in the two gyms/dojos

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

What kind of a thing is that to say?!

Kyokushin will teach you physical toughness, endurance, spirit, power, the ability to drop people with bodyshots, as well as kata and all the things usually assosiated with a traditional Japanese MA.

Kickboxing will compliment it well with speed, western boxing, footwork, evasiveness.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

He could be in a situation like mine, where Kyokushin is of limited availability now and so trains in kickboxing (well, Muay Thai in my case) to supplement his training.

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I've never found it usual to compliment a stand up art with another stand up art, is all.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Francisco Filho and Chuck Liddell have both trained both in karate (Kyokushin and Koei-kan, respectively) and in kickboxing.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Though it's slowly evolving out of it, Kyokushin fighters still often don't really handle punches to the head and face very well. If you want to go outside the realm of knockdown tournaments, you pretty much have to cross-train to get rid of that bad habit if you don't have much experience outside of it.

Even when I train outside of Kyokushin in a boxing ring or Muay Thai, I still find I have the tendency to keep my hands a bit lower than I should initially and need to be strict about it in the beginning of the workout until my muscle memory comes back.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

"Striking" is a broad term. I've found Enshin Karate to be very different to Shotokan Karate or TKD for example.

Mitch

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Even comparing the differences between Kyokushin and Muay Thai that I've seen so far I can tell there's big differences.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Could definitely be this as well. I fence epee as well as saber, not because I like epee as much as saber or even because it's ideal to fence multiple weapons (serious competitors tend to just focus on one), but because there's only one saber class and four sabreurs at my school but all sorts of epee opportunities.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm lucky to make a Kyokushin class a week now that my instructor's schedule has completely changed from mine and due to it being a 45 minute drive one way. Fortunately the Thai boxing place is literally 10 blocks from my house and offers 2+ times a week. I just make sure I train my kata and kihon regularly.