Kwonkicker

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SPX, Aug 3, 2010.

1. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I'm guessing all of us (even Betty and SPX) can agree on a few things here:

1) Kwonkicker's instructional videos are useful for someone learning the basics of taekwondo.
    2) Kwonkicker deserves props for going to Thailand, taking part in a paid fight, and winning. Most of us will never even attempt something at that level.
    3) The fight Kwonkicker won does not make him a professional fighter, and certainly does not make him a standard to which competitive fighters or taekwondo players should aspire.

Fair?

2. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

i think i can sum this all up or at least try and it will be short
    ok here goes

Dude is good, noone is hating on him his skill or his accomplishment for going to thailand and winning his fight, on the other hand noone is riding his jock either because we didnt see the fight he coulda fought someone who wasnt so great not saying thats what happend also we are saying he is good but are we saying great or exceptional or amazing no we are not but all in all good job bro keep it up and maybe someday you will be an international superstar

3. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Um. no.

4. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

looks like you got owned a bit there Master Betty:D

5. Master Betty

Actually no, I didn't. Because getting a fight with a hobbiest in Thailand isn't teh same thing as fighting professionally in thailand. Stop shiz stirring. And learn to fight.

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

The Thai promoters would not match a Farang with a Thai who was 8kg heavier,maybe the other way round they would but not with the Thai being bigger,theres no need to as there are plenty of 55gk Thai lads to fight.

As for the kick Ive said it before and Ill say it again its the best kick in the martial art book(when it lands) you cant condition to that type of kick especially if it hits the liver(I landed a few myself in the ring).

I say well done to the lad for following through on what he said he was going to do,but dont get carried away it was but a novice fight:)

7. Master Betty

Now THAT sums it up nicely.

8. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

I would say so lol well put Fire cobra much better than my attempt and thank you master betty for being straight forward and to the point

9. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I'm not going to lock it, but in my opinion this thread has run its course. I wish the guy luck on following his dream and I'll leave it at that. They say the worst thing you can feel is feeling 'bad about the success of someone else'. He won a novice bout and *should* feel good about it. But then, like with everything in life, its on to the next thing. :)

10. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

I wore body armour when you where suckling breastmilk kid;)

11. Master Betty

Whoa. Body armor. Hardcore.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

OK, let's give it a rest eh guys?

Mitch

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thought some of you guys may be interested in KwonKicker training in Thailand:)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8FaAMv_YmU&feature=relmfu"]YouTube - ‪Kwonkicker Pad Work Training - 5/24/11‬‏[/ame]

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I do like his kicking but the hands, knees and elbows need a lot of work.

Significantly I see absolutely no TKD in his technique, which - to my understanding - kind of validates MB's point that started his whole ball rolling

15. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hanibal,

See a comment from KK under the vid,he talks about kicking the pads:)

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I read his reasoning - sorry I don't buy it

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Me neither:)

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Honestly, his kicks look a lot like like the TKD turning kicks I do/teach. They don't look like WTF turning kicks, but that's a different kick entirely.

His front kicks look like push kicks more than classical front kicks, but that's to be expected given the setting. Again, they're something I teach in padwork in my hobbyist's TKD class.

Mitch

19. Master Betty

It's the issue I've had with this guy since I first saw one of his videos a couple of years ago - he's absolutely full of BS.

Having came from a TKD background into a muay thai scene myself, as well as having seen and coached others who've done the same, I can easily see the TKD influence in his thai kicks. They tend to be slightly snappier, faster and more easily retracted but this in turn takes a lot of the venom out of the kick. It doesn't change the fact that what he's still doing is basically a mediocre thai style kick and not a TKD kick.

What a douche.

20. Master Betty

Yeah but mitch, "looking a lot like" and "looks exactly like" are two very different animals. As I said in my above post - I can easily see the TKD influence in the kick, but a TKD kick it is not.