Kwonkicker

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SPX, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

There's a thread in which I explain this very subject on the muay thai forum. go visit the first page of it.

Suffice to say that "kickboxing" came from semi contact Karate trying to be full contact like boxers, back in the 60's/70's.

Muay Thai's a weeeeee bit older.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yup, boxing wouldn't do you much good in the Olympic TKD ring either :D

Mitch

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Losing by disqualification is still a win :)

4. Master Betty

Olympic boxer versus olympic TKD guy...

I know who I'm putting my money on.

5. Mitch

Tell that to Ben Johnson.

Mitch

6. Mitch

In an Olympic TKD ring? I know too.

Mitch

7. Master Betty

Aw yeah I forgot they stop the "fight" every time someone get's tagged.

8. Moi

Backing out the scoring area is the thing I dislike. Doesn't seem very honourable in a sport where honour can be forced down your throat. This isn't about TKD -v- muay Thai though it's about kwonkicker and his fantasies

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  9. SPX

SPX Valued Member

To be fair, that doesn't mean he can't teach how to execute a technique.

That's rough, dude. I'm sorry. What were you going to be doing?

10. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I just want to know more about what he's about, and what he's done.

11. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Dan Hardy has talked a lot about his TKD experience and says that it has helped him a lot in MMA.

Also, I know we're talking about WTF TKD here, but I could point you to some ITF guys who have transitioned pretty decently to MMA.

12. Moi

I agree he has great technique in isolation
    It was about 3 months work in 5 weeks installing the security in a rather large supermarket and adjoining petrol station. In a way I'm glad I didn't get it. It was probably possible but the pressure would have been horrendous. Think I'd have lost a few friends in the process

13. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I like that. Think positive.

Sometimes the money's just not worth it.

14. Moi

Once I found out I was probably more cheerful. Spent 3 days getting guys together for the job which wasn't easy as so many people have had to get a job since this bloody recession hit. Managed it but was too late. Didn't want to live away for 5 weeks without a break anyway

15. Master Betty

And those guys are in a minortiy. not to mention usually mid level fighters and rarely the elite. You'll also find that, ironically, most of them have trained longer in thai boxing than in TKD. The one that makes me laugh is when people talk about Bas Rutten etc as if they were TKd guys.

Moi has the right attitude. Until the guy has even a single ACTUAL ring fight then all his technique's worth jack. And most people who've never had a ring fight themselves won't appreciate why that's the case. Believe me, mentally and physically, one fight will change the way you see EVERYTHING about fighting. Including the way you train and fight yourself.

I can however, absolutely 100% guarantee you that kwonkicker is not going to fight professionally in thailand. Mainly because there's thousands of thais who're a million times better than him and will fight for less money.

16. Moi

Seen a lot of guys never come back to the gym after the first one as well. Even if they won it. It's not for everyone

17. Master Betty

Same. A lot of people think they're fighters. Have 1 fight. then lose all the hunger they had before the fight. Actually, before my first fight I can remember that I'd never been more sure of wanting to do anything in my life.

And another note to those people who've never had a fight - there are few feelings that compare to standing there after 5 long hard rounds and having the referee call your name as the winner, hearing the crowd cheering and the camera lights all flashing on you. Indescribable.

18. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Again, this is something of a strawman argument in this case as these vids were created as tutorials for performing certain techniques. If I had posted them saying he was an awesome fighter, then maybe it would be something worth discussing.

How do you know how good he is? You yourself have said that you can't determine that from watching him kick on a training dummy.

Make up your mind. . .

19. Moi

It's not you saying he's an awesome fighter it's him. Without even trying it

Main reason he's getting stick is if he was really serious about what he was saying then why hasn't he fought? Go on give it a guess why he hasn't.

20. Master Betty

actually I never once said that if you go back over the thread, though that's irrelevant since it's true. You can't say that someone's good by how they hit a bag. You can however tell if they're bad since the one thing EVERY good fighter has is technique and I'm sorry, if you're looking at this from a TKD point of view then a lot of those techniques look really nice and pretty and have the big WOW factor but at the end of the day that's not what technique is about. It's about a lot more things than just power as well, blanace, guard, stance, timing, speed, how they telegraph, what combos they throw etc. I can't be sure but I tihnk this guy actually has a video of him turning his back on the bag and throwing a left then a right back elbow.

My advice: the guy should stick to movie choreography. If, in fact, he actually does that at anything other than hobby level.