Kwonkicker

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SPX, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

This guy is openly mixing Thai boxing with WTF.

2. Moi

It's typical TKD though. There are thousands of videos and pictures of guys doing really crisp kicks with perfect technique. This guy has done that but added a few Thai techniques to his kitbag. He's practised them against his Bob and they look superb, on their own. Let's see them in even a little spar with a Thai boxer.

3. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I've seen plenty of vids where guys just do kicks that look great, but in terms of instructional vids these are definitely among the better ones that I've found. He's able to really break the technique down for the viewer.

I wasn't posting them to say "this guy's a great fighter," but posting them rather as helpful aids for fellow TKDists who may be trying to master some of these techniques. We are, after all, in the TKD neighborhood of MAP.

4. Moi

Err OK

5. SPX

SPX Valued Member

What?

6. Moi

I appreciate what TKD should and will be in small pockets. I applaud what TKD has become as a business but if it disappeared tomorrow I'm not going to shed a tear. Sorry

I'm posting 'cos he says he's going to fight pro MT and wants to be a K1 champ. I know someone who's fought in the K1 in Japan. He didn't waste time making technical videos. He trained and he fought and he trained and he fought. Oh yes, he had an instructor and trainer.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I didn't say you had to care. But don't be surprised if someone posts stuff that may be of interest to TKD players on a TKD board.

8. Moi

I've added a bit

9. SPX

SPX Valued Member

You have to understand that he has already been quite successful in TKD, so if he wants to post some vids as an authority on that subject, then I appreciate his efforts.

As for fighting in K-1, we'll see what happens. He has time,though.

10. Moi

As yet I'm not convinced on his TKD history

I'd like to know more of these comps he's won. I've checked out the invitational championship and can you believe it 2006 (the year he won it) isn't on their website at all? All the other years have either photos or a listing. The other comps seem to be broken down into a TKD discipline so it wasn't even a TKD comp. The first 3 wins on his list are when he'd have been a coloured belt, the first White/yellow stripe?

I'll believe anything he says when I see it. Nice technique though.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

From what I've seen I think it's a good tutorial vid, although I haven't watched it all.

However, I don't think it's actually a WTF style back kick that he's performing, but the older, ITF style reverse side kick.

The obvious difference is in the initial movement of the knee. In the WTF variant the knee raises in front of the body, parallel to the other knee, and strikes out backwards like a donkey kick. You can see a good example [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DctorSHn0yo&feature=related"]here[/ame]. The foot strikes using the sole of the heel with the toes pointing mostly downwards.

What the kwonkicker shows is a reverse side kick, where the kicking knee moves out sideways from the body first and then the leg stabs back in a motion much more like a sidekick, hence "reverse sidekick."

I have held pads for WTF kickers and their back kick is slightly faster IMO and though it may lack some of the outright power of the reverse side it will still [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlpJgp8Ldqw"]rock your world[/ame].

I suspect it may be more difficult to recover from than a reverse side too, in that there is less natural rotation to bring you round again.

I have been known to talk rubbish in the past, mind.

Mitch

12. Mitch

TKD and the Martial Arts in general are notorious for spurious titles so Moi's attitude is understandable. My org hosts competitions with thousands of competitors from numerous countries over the course of two days.

Is it really a World Championship in a meaningful sense? Probably not.

At the same time I hear and read about World Championships that involved 200 competitors. Now, there may have been a pretty damn rigorous selection procedure in advance, but even so....

Even Boxing, MMA etc are riven with politics, corruption and are hardly immune from discussion about "true champions."

Mitch

13. Moi

Thai boxing, kickboxing and as you say even boxing. Oh there was a time......

14. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Fair enough. Nice detective work there.

I'm trying to work up the motivation to send him a message on YouTube. His channel has a ton of subscribers though so I just have a feeling I won't get a response.

15. SPX

SPX Valued Member

How exactly do you define "kickboxing?"

Do you not consider MT to simply be a specific style of kickboxing?

16. Mitch

People have said this since time immemorial. In bike racing people talk about whoever is dominant at the time and say, "He wouldn't have had it so easy x years ago!"

There has always been corruption, dodgy dealing, environmental factors, good luck, bad luck, injury, politics, associations, gambling syndicates etc etc.

You only get to compete against what's in front of you.

Mitch

17. Moi

TBH until he fights he's nothing.

The fact I lost a 50 grand 5 week job today has nothing to do with me taking it out on this guy. I didn't really want the job anyway

18. Moi

That's true but know you might half a dozen world champs in a particular art all in the same weight. Wasn't like that 30 years ago

19. Mitch

Why? Do you like his tutorial? If so, learn from it and be grateful.

If you don't, well sometimes if you've not got anything good to say don't say anything.

If he's making claims about K1/Thai etc, it'll all come out in the wash as soon as he competes.

Mitch

20. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Not sure if it's been said later in the thread - I've been on holiday and I'm just catching up...

but TKD experience means sweet FA in the thai ring. Same way it means sweet FA in the boxing ring, the octagon and just about any other real fight arena. There's a lot of differences that add up to said poser getting owned.