Kwonkicker

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SPX, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Not sure if this guy's been discussed here, but he's a former WTF guy who has combined TKD with MT and is going to be heading off to Thailand to fight pro pretty soon. He has a whole series of tutorials covering everything from stretching, to stances, to a wide range of kicks.

Here are some vids. Let me know what ya'll think.

Training Sampler:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFYefDi5rw"]YouTube- Taekwondo Kickboxing Training Sampler 2010[/ame]

Jump Spinning Back Kick tutorial:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cxkTpVlVSI"]YouTube- Taekwondo Jumping Back Kick Tutorial (Kwonkicker)[/ame]

Kwonkicker fight scene in a (very) low-budget film w/ outtakes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDVJ7YCk8U"]YouTube- Kwonkicker vs Shinobi Seishiro (Fight Scene)[/ame]

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You missed out the most important film clip

3. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Oh? Which one is that?

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

sparring.

5. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Is that in there? Awesome. I actually haven't gone through all his stuff yet.

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

ha not sure if there is any either... I just think thats what moi meant ie "where is the sparring". it's what I was thinking myself. Bag work looked cool but doesn't tell you as much as sparring/fight footage.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It would be nice to see him using his combination against an opponent rather than just his demos or clips from low budget films.

8. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I don't think he has any sparring vids. I agree that he should.

9. Moi

The fight videos don't exist from what I can see. If he's never been in the ring how do you think he's going to get on fighting professionally in Thailand? He doesn't even have a trainer. Just a wannabe poser!

10. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Yeah, I'd like to see him fight. I've seen one or two of his TKD matches, but no kickboxing matches.

If nothing else, he's at least fast, flexible, and has good form.

11. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I'm just going off his update on his channel:

"Heading to Thailand in (9 months) to finally start my professional fight career."

12. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Well let's at least be fair. These vids are to benefit straight TKD practitioners too and, unless he's a liar (which is possible . . . I don't care enough to do a background check), he at least has some solid credentials in that arena. . .

From the "Martial Arts Background" section:

My style is Taekwondo Kickboxing, my own mix of formal South Korean Taekwondo and modern Muay Thai & Kickboxing style competition. I've also cross-trained in general submission wrestling. My original and only Taekwondo instructor was Master John Barbara, 5th Degree Kukkiwon certified Taekwondo Blackbelt, Taekwondo champion of Malta and undefeated former Kickboxing champion of Europe. I currently train independently. I'm also a former stuntman, filmmaker and award-winning fight choreographer. It's my dream to one day fight in the K1 Max.

From the "About Me" section:

I am a 1st Dan in formal South Korean Taekwondo (Kukkiwon/W.T.F.). I started training in 2001. Some of my amateur titles:

USA Martial Arts World Championships - 2001 Champion (Taekwondo Division), USA Martial Arts World Championships - 2002 Champion (Taekwondo Division), California State Games Taekwondo Championships - Gold Medalist (2001, 2002, & 2003), Yushen Lai Taekwondo Invitational - Gold Medalist (2006)

I retired from Olympic style competition in 06', and began to put my full focus on Kickboxing styles of competition from then on.

Height: 5'7" (170cm)
    Weight: 138lbs (63kg)

13. Moi

I may be doing him an injustice but until he's stepped in the ring against anyone he's just playing at it.

14. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I don't necessarily disagree, considering he brands his style "TKD Kickboxing." But I do think that his competitive TKD experience should be taken into account.

15. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I will also add this:

Often times teachers/trainers don't have very good fight records. Many of the top MMA trainers really didn't do that well in professional competition. But they're very good at teaching others.

When I watch, for instance, his jump spinning back kick vid I see a lot of good instruction there on how to do that particular technique and some good tips to help me with my own skill in that area.

Whether or not he's fought a kickboxing match isn't really relevant in that respect.

16. Moi

I can't find any details for a John Barbara except from Kwonkicker's amazing publicity machine. He's everywhere with the same copy and paste self-advertising stuff you've posted here.
    Can't you invite him on Map?

17. Moi

A little but it really depends on which org and how many other people in the 'World' where invited to compete. Most of those wins where in the TKD division. Any of the Stateside guys know of these competitions?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  18. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I dunno. I could try. I mean, I don't know the guy personally or anything. I wouldn't mind seeing him go through the ringer here though and seeing what we find out.

19. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

"Taekwon-Do Kick Boxing" has existed for years in South Korea. It's called Kyuk Too Ki. Why do so many Western instructors think it's a brand new invention -- or theirs, even?

20. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I'm sure he knows he's not reinventing the wheel, because he has a Keiji Ozaki video on his channel.

Ya'll need to cut this guy some slack. He has some good tutorials but most of the comments have been sort of negative.