Kuntaw/Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by jcolour, Apr 5, 2005.

1. jcolour

jcolour New Member

Greetings to all members, my name is Jaison Colour and a newbie to this forum and the Filipino Martial Arts world. I have been studying Kali/Arnis for almost a year now with friends who teach me. We have no particular style, but try to be as well rounded as possible. I have yet to train with a master, but have watched many videos and dvds on different systems for further education.
    With everything I have learned about Kali, it seems my best chance to learn more about it is to learn Filipino Kuntaw/Silat. I have tried to research more about Kuntaw/Silat from the Phillipines but can't find much. I found this forum and have read through a few threads related to my question and thought I should give it a shot to ask everyone if they could point me in the right direction to learning more.
    Got Silat anybody?

2. DAT

DAT Valued Member

Try searching with this spelling "Kun Tao Silat". William de Thouars or Roberto Torres would be some other good searches. Basically this is a blend of Chinese Kuntao and Indonesian Silat.

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Jaison,
    what have your friends been teaching you? Striking, grappling, weapons work? What DVDs and videos have you been watching? I second the recomendation from DAT, Willem Detours is extraordinary. Its not Filipino silat, but if you read my response to your post in the FMA forum than you know my response to that.

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi jcolour,

Welcome to the Forum. In my opinion, this is by far the best Martial Arts Forum you will find in the web.

I can point you in the direction of www.reelcombat.com for instructional DVD's, or www.eastweststudios.com for general silat information. Again, this isn't Filipino silat, but bearing in mind that silat isn't originally a Filipino art, but an Indonesian one, it shouldn't matter. Ironically, one of the head instructors, Alvin Guinanao, is a Filipino!

Regards,
    Wali

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Of course, to a degree "Filipino" and "Indonesian" are artifacts of European and American colonialism. There's no sense sweating "Malay", "Indonesian", "Bruneian" (sp?) or "Southern Pilipino" too much :D

6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

7. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

jcolour,

The old saying is Silat is Silat.

So I have to agree that regardless if you learn Filipino Silat, Malaysian Bersilat, Indonesian Pencak Silat, Dutch Pentjak Silat or whatever else is out there, as long as it is real Silat it will be GREAT!

There are lots of videos out there on Silat and some correspondence courses as well. I have a Home Study Course you can take a look at: http://www.ict-silat.com/videos.htm

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

8. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hi, Filipino Silat is hard to come by even for Filipinos in the Philippines. It is even harder to find it outside of the counry. If you have the opportunity to come here to the Philippines, maybe we can go together and look for my friends down South. Meanwhile, since you are in the US, you can always try other Silat styles. In the end, all styles are good. All martial arts are the same.

9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

ALL MARTIAL ARTS ARE THE SAME
    Clouds. Rain. Dew. Spring. Waterfall. River. Lake. Sea. Ocean. They are all water.

NOT THE SAME
    Researchers such as Donn Draeger and O'ong Maryono pin-points ancient Sumatra as being the first to develop the conventions of Silat. I will agree there there really isn't any Moro (Filipino) Silat ONLY IF others will also stop claiming there is a Malaysian Silat, a Javanese Silat, a Balinese Silat, a Buginese Silat, etc, etc. It is all Sumatran. Maybe the Gracies should also stop calling their art Brazilian Jujitsu; it is really Japanese.

IT IS REALLY THE SAME
    The teacher of a martial art student died and he went to another club and inquired, "What is the martial arts here like?"
    He was asked, "What was it like in your previous club?"
    "Well," he answered, " the teacher was a fool, the students even greater fools, and the style he taught was lousy."
    "The club here is exactly like how you found your old club," he was told.

Another student whose teacher had also died went to the same club and asked the same questions. Asked about how he found his old school, he answered, "The teacher was great, the students were very good, and the style was excellent."
    "That is how you will find this club too," he was told.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  10. jcolour

jcolour New Member

DAT, Crucible, Wali, tellner, Ular Sawa, ICT, RedBagani,
    Thank you for your help. I think I may have found a lead through another member on Martial Arts Planet for Tausug Kuntaw/Silat. Thank you guys again for your help.
    Jaison