Kung Fu Styles List

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Su lin, May 30, 2007.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

herbert:
    I spoke to Alex today. Serge Augier's teacher was Master Huang.

2. steel fingers

steel fingers Valued Member

Serge's credentials are totally legit as his is lineage.

Definitely no fibs there !

3. marmaduke

marmaduke Valued Member

Looking for something called "Northern Long Fist."

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Northern longfist is a branch/family rather than a specific style. It refers to longarm systems typically of Shaolin or Hui origin.
    If you're after info on a particular school, post a thread with some details on the main Kung Fu board.

5. herbert

herbert Valued Member

WTF is a "grand-disciple"???????

Contact the guy I mentioned; Liang Chao Qun in France, he is a genuine recognised disciple of the late Master Wan, ask him about Serge attending his workshop a few years back.
    http://www.wanlaisheng.com/spip.php?page=lesstyles&lang=fr

6. wushurichard

wushurichard Banned Banned

why did you delete my post?

7. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

The disciple of the disciple of that guy? Kinda like grandson maybe?

8. ROBER-E

ROBER-E Valued Member

nice list but what about kajukenbo? i see u have Wun Hop Kuen Do listed but what about chuan fa and tum pai they are kung-fu styles also

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Chuan fa is not a kung fu stlye it is a generic term that can apply to any style. It's just one of many ways to say martial arts in Chinese. Kajenbuko isn't a Chinese art. It's more like Kempo.

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Quan Fa (Chuan Fa in the fool spelling) just means "Fist Method" in Chinese.

11. ROBER-E

ROBER-E Valued Member

chuan fa is the American way of spelling it just like kung-fu or chi-kung.chinese its gung-fu or qi gong,they changed the spelling so we could read the name in English,nothing retarded about that at all..

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

13. ROBER-E

ROBER-E Valued Member

your wrong about that chuan fa could mean fist way,kenpo,chinese boxing or plain and simple just kung-fu...chuan fa kajukenbo was created when they mixed northern and southern shaolin styles with kajukenbo,so yes it is kung-fu....btw im not trying to argue with anyone im just sticking up for my art not many people know about it because there is not much info on the internet about it :D

14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I could NOT care less about Kajukenbo, nor am I picking on anyone's art.

I am saying the goddamn CHARACTER FOR QUAN FA does not even mean martial art.

Quan Fa =/= Wushu =/= Kung Fu

They are interchangeable words but ultimately they are all slightly different, if we want to go into semantics.

Don't argue Chinese with me man, you're going to lose.

Quan Fa DOES NOT translate to "Chinese Boxing." Actually nothing translates to "Chinese Boxing."

Unless you say "Zhong Guo Quan Ji," which is quite long and the direct translate to "Chinese Boxing."

Quan Fa means Fist Method, nothing more, nothing less.

Stop attaching your personal definition to it.

15. ROBER-E

ROBER-E Valued Member

ok well maybe your right because i dont speak or wright chinese thanks for the lesson,but that does not change the fact that it is a kung-fu style and belongs in the list and im sure that there's other people on this site that agree with me and it dont matter what u think the moderator can decide not you. like i said im not arguing with nobody so there's no reason for you to get mad

16. 19thlohan

No it's not. Before the Chinese government adopted the pinyin romanization they used to use the wade giles romanization. Many of the teachers who teach outside of China left before the change or spent most of their lives learning that system before the change and therefor still use it. In taiwan they still use that system. It's no more or less Chinese than pinyin. It's no more or less retarded either. It's certainly not the American way either it's just the way many Americans were taught.

No I'm not. Chuan means fist and fa means technique or method. It's a generic term that can be swapped out for any other generic term meaning martial arts.

If I take a bunch of techniques from a bunch of different chuan fa styles and blend them with a style that it not Chinese it does not make it a kung fu style.

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

In Wade-Giles it's spelt "ch'uan".Note apostrophe.

Signed-Just another fool.

18. Baskyn

Baskyn Valued Member

Hsiao Chiu Tien (Little Nine Heaven). I've heard of it.

19. tooksomechin_na

tooksomechin_na Valued Member

20. 19thlohan

Because it's a subset not a style. Chin na or cum na is the joint locking/choking/cavity press skills that are found in every style of kung fu when taught by a proper and qualified instructor, it is not a seperate style of it's own.