Kung Fu Register

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Andy Murray, Aug 14, 2001.

1. mr_yaxley

mr_yaxley New Member

Heh thanks - I'd love to get to the point where I can teach it. Though I'd probably have to go to Hong Kong first to try and learn from the guys that Cheung Lai Chun taught, or maybe the generation after that. And I don't know if they'd teach a white boy, heh, they're a little secretive.

Besides, that would be easy compared to getting my fiancé to come with me to Australia!

2. slig

slig he's so hot right now

yeah, i've found that too (in general). Not sure why they're so secretive about their styles. In the poilitical climates of old, secrecy would have worked for them. But realistically MA is a little redundant now days, given that you can kill a bunch of people from another country, or out at sea. According to an SAS bloke I know, melee combat is an absolute last resort and in a military situation, you should *never* be close enough to use a knife, throw a punch etc.
    Anyway, I would have thought the Masters would be keen to share their styles and knowledge before they died out completely. I can understand the mindset of people not wanting thier styles to be corrupted by the casual practitioner or a philosophical laymen, but you have to let it go IMHO. Alternately, they'd probably rest better knowing their kung fu styles died pure.
    shouldn't be too hard... it's the best country in the world :) :)

3. af_sting

af_sting Teoul Moon Kung Fu

I thought you were talking about Australia? Best at what? :D

Just kidding! Me and my wife really want to visit down-under while we're in this part of the world. Of course being involved in geography a little (I'm a meteorologist), I realize it'd take a long time to explore even a little of your continent. I don't think most people realize exactly how large (or diverse) Australia is.

Cheers,
    -Sting

4. gwa_sau_chap

gwa_sau_chap New Member

Hi everyone!! (New to the forum)
    I study choy lee fat here in British Columbia, Canada. In lineage of the Chan Yiu Chi. Everyone here in this forum is so friendly!!! Kinda scares me a little!!! Hehehehehe!!

BTW, anyone here participated recently in the 1st Traditional Wushu Festival in Zhengzhou, China? If so, how'd you do and in which categories?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  5. 7starmantis

7starmantis New Member

New here as well!

I have studied primarily CMA since I was 5 (22 years now) with about 5 years of JKD. I now study 7 star praying mantis kung fu and will continue until I am unable to train. I train in a realistic environment for pure "street" application. I'm a member of the US Kung Fu Exchange and do some full contact and san shou fighting as well. I'm in the lineage of Raymond Fogg.

7sm

6. moving up

moving up New Member

Chinese much better

I practice Shou Shu the way of the animal or the way of the fighting beast I love it! it is a 7 animal kung fu the bear,tiger,mongoose,crane,mantis,cobra,and the dragon are the animals in the Shou Shu system

7. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Hi everyone. I'm one of the Wing Chun horde, I'm afraid. I've not been studying long - six months or so - but I've found it to be almost addictive. I was attending a class in my town, but it closed, and now I travel up to London for classes.

I noticed a number of people in this thread say something like this, but I regret not taking up a martial art sooner. I think I've been lucky finding one that I love so much without having to spend years searching.

8. insomniactv

insomniactv New Member

hey, Seung Ga Faat, i saw you're a mantis stylist in DC - what's your school like/where is it? i got into kung fu a while ago in dc and could only find a Jow Ga school. I've been studying that for a bit, but always curious for more.

9. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

Hey! I'm practising Wing Tsun, the Leung Ting system, under Sifu Eugene Murphy in Dublin, Ireland. I haven't been practising long but I really enjoy it and I'm goin to stick with it. I hope to study it for years to came, and maybe I will study some other Kung Fu and MA's aswell 'coz I'm addicted!

10. bong-lap

bong-lap New Member

11. Tiger on Duty

Tiger on Duty New Member

12. CCM

CCM Valued Member

just joined MAP. I do Lau Gar kung fu and have been doing so for just over five years.

ccm

13. snowstorm

snowstorm New Member

Sup

Hey I'm Mike
    I study Twin Tiger
    style of Kung Fu
    It wuz invented by my current sifu
    eric gardere

I love itz fluidity

14. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Chi Tai Lung

Well this is my style. I train because I train in kung fu because of the times when i was a kid and used to watch Samurai Shodown on Sundays. They always had some kind of kung fu performed and I loved the hand styles and kicks that were shown. It look more interesting than Karate. Also it is the only place close to my home to train at reasonable prices.

Now Chi Tai Lung is a successful integration of Long-fist ( Shaolin & Choy Li Fut ) Short-fist ( Wing Chun & Poon Kuen ) and Internal ( Tai Chi, Ba Gua & Hsing I ) styles. Also if you would rather train in one style you can do so. Each style represents an element, Air through Void, and a technique. Air is evasion, Earth is breaking and locking, Wood is trapping, Metal is blocking, Fire is kicking, Water is escaping, Void is formless. Also each element has an opposite, Air-Fire, Wood-Metal, Earth-Water, Void-all otheres, All others-Void. It is an interesting and fun style. I even had success in putting to use against Karate. I am going back to learn after 6 years to attain as much knowledge as possible from Sifu David (Spellsinger) Hobgood. To find out a bit more on my Kwoon and it's teacher and history and styles go to http://shaolinartsofwisdom.com/index.html. I am not hyping the shool and I don't recieve a kickback for any kind of advertising. ( Free lessons, etc. )
    It is just where i go to and I really like it.

15. Pacmaster

Pacmaster New Member

Bak Fu Pai, Nanquan, and any drunken boxing i can get my hands on!!!

plus Shao Hong Quan, but i'm not really sure what to call that...

16. Pacmaster

Pacmaster New Member

Bak Fu Pai is almost exactly the same as your Pak Mei Pai, but not quite. I'm almost studying Pak Mei.

17. ironknuckles

ironknuckles contemplating....

Wing Chun Kung Fu
    Australia,

18. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Interesting. I'm particularly interested in how they "integrate" Choy Lay Fut into your full syllabus.

Well, by even mentioning the name CLF puts your Kwoon that much further away from my "potential McDojo list." :D

Welcome to MAP btw.

19. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Well the Fire element set is CLF. We kinda go through small sets then they get larger and more complicated as we go along or they did. It has been 6 years though and when I phoned the school the teacher said that there were many new additions to the traing and changes to it.

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

A hybrid style of Kung Fu.

We integrate Chin Na, Bagua, Mantis, 5 Animal Fists (Crane, Dragon, Leopard, Snake, and Tiger), Shuai Jiao, Mongolian Grappling into a single system. My school also offers T'ai Chi Chuan classes.