Kung fu: just a series of principles?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Mr Punch, Mar 9, 2006.

?

Have you...? Well, have you...?!

1. Knocked someone down with a punch in practice?

78.0%
  2. Knocked someone out with a punch/kick in practice?

20.0%
  3. Choked someone out in practice?

36.0%
  4. Knocked someone down with a punch in the ring?

26.0%
  5. Knocked someone out with a punch/kick in the ring?

12.0%
  6. Choked someone out in the ring?

6.0%
  7. Knocked someone down with a punch/kick in the street?

56.0%
  8. Knocked someone out with a punch/kick in the street?

30.0%
  9. Choked someone out in street?

8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Anybody ever hit anyone round here? :D

How many of you have...?

(Multiple choice)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

What Do You Mean .

have i ever started a fight or just hit someone whilst knowing Kung Fu ?

if so then no

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I knocked somebody out once in a fight, but that was pure windmilling and before I did kung fu, it wasn't clear whether this should be counted or not.

4. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Plenty of times. But all either practice or in a ring so the "too 133t and d34d1y for teh str33t" crowd would probably say I don't know anything. Wait... I broke a guys nose in a fight once but he stayed standing.... kept trying to shove the blood back up his nose.... It was... odd.

5. Mr Punch

Sho thang.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yeah, so what?

7. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I'm interested in the results of the poll, if you aren't, ignore the thread rather than just try to derail it.

8. Mr Punch

So, er, I'm interested!

Bloody kids!

9. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I'm trying to figure out the point of this thread and how it opens up intelligent discussion on the topic of CMA without chasing our tails on topics we've repeatedly covered.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

One problem with the poll.... uhm, how many people in the KF forum actively compete? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of half the questions? As for self-defense... haven't been in a fight in over 20 years.

Why are we always on the same page? You know exactly where this is gonna go... right back to the same bs about "training intensity", "why don't KFers compete", etc.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  11. TheDarkJester

Because you're a lawyer, and I'm a relocated cynical snowbird residing in Texas?

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Meh, whatever works, lol.

*swats at DJ with a snake palm*

13. TheDarkJester

*pulls away to side with fung sao into a straight punch*

Keeyai!

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What exactly does this have to do with the original post title:

"Kung fu: just a series of principles?"

???

15. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

nope. Never got into a real fight, nor did i ever participate in a competition.

Sure, i got people winded from well placed hits in practice. But i dont follow up to the point they are on the floor either. Nor do i go all out chuck liddel style either in practice.

I mean seriously, who the hell chokes someone OUT in practice. Isnt thats why they invented tapping for?

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I think it's some attempt to get us to admit we don't spar or don't actually apply any of our techniques, thereby causing peeps to look at Kung Fu and go "oh, yeah, it looks good on paper, but it doesn't *really* work..."

17. TheDarkJester

Or that we're irresponsible over the top traditional wackos who shave our heads, wear saffron robes in our practice and go all out to hurt our training partners.

18. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Well let these people sparr a decent KFer and they will learn.... when i see the guys at the club i go to spar... they apply the techniques... but it looks so natural because it has become second nature...

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Well, just for the record, I have knocked someone down in practice just by virtue of hitting them when they were off balance, hit them over my leg (some people call it a trip or a sweep), and I've choked people to the point of tappage in practice.

20. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

They'd just find some reason for invalidating the experience. Those people are like god botherers, it gets really tiresome when you've heard the arguments a thousand times, responded to them a thousand times and they still keep popping up repeating the same drivel.