Kung Fu Institute in Modesto, CA

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by FightingMonk2k3, May 3, 2008.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

I was looking through the phone book a few weeks back and I saw that there was a listing in there for a Kung Fu Institute in Modesto or something like that. I was wondering if anyone knew what they teach there. I haven't had a chance to call them or go in to see what they teach since I've been working and going to school.

2. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Is there a web link??

3. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

Kfi

I heard they teach tai chi & hun gar kung fu; to date I have not had the time to go & check out the facility or the instructors. The website might be listed under kfi. (?)

4. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Nothing much comes out of a google search either. Check them out and see what they got if your close and got time to kill.

5. FightingMonk2k3

I don't think they even have a website set up. I will definitely check that place out when I have the time to. If I find anything, I will let you guys know for sure. Thanks for the help. :)

6. jpv

jpv Valued Member

Kung Fu Institute

I used to attend the KFI when I lived in Modesto about a year and a half ago. I went for about a year. The style is Hung Gar and is taught by Sifu Neil Thomas who I felt was a very good teacher. He always broke down things really well, and was able to answer questions that you may have. My suggestion would be to just check the place out to what you think for yourself. I think classes are still mainly on monday and wednesday nights from about 6-8pm. So that would be a good time to go if you were interested.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-jpv

7. FightingMonk2k3

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to check out that specific school yet, but I hope to some time.

8. Baji Boy

Baji Boy New Member

RE: Kung Fu Institute Modesto

I study there currently. Typically, beginners start with either Hung Gar or Yang Taiji, and advance as fast as they can. But most all the training incorporates some Baji, Piqua, and Bagua training technique.

As a student advances, when he/she achieves a substantial level of proficiency in application & freestyle, a Hung Gar student can proceed to Baji/Piqua, or move into Chen Taiji, or simply advance in Hung Gar. With some higher skill levels, he/she can start Bagua training.

A Yang Taiji student can also move into Chen, or Hung Gar. A Yang student will have to do awhile in one of those before being allowed into Baji/Piqua or Bagua.

There are also weapons, even the entire art of Kung Wu Jian, the sword art made famous in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." And you COULD just learn that art by itself, as Grand Master Liu Yuen Chiao always maintained this art was easily capable of standing alone. (And just an aside, no one has ever had the huevos to ask for it, but he studied Iron Palm with Al Novak for several years, and I'm sure that with a fair amount of begging he would teach that also--and yes, he knows how to also brew the required deet da jow for bone repair) He's been doing this 42 years.

That's the short version.

Typically, training is on Monday & Wednesday, 6pm - 9pm. Often the freestyling is the last 30-60 minutes.

Tues & Thurs is fight training, and also a make-up day if you miss Mon or Wed. Riught now, we have3 maybe 4 fighters training for the Las Vegas Chinese Martial Arts tournament coming up on Aug 29, 30, & 31 at the Tuscanny Hotel. Taichi is also held Saturdays 9AM to 10:30 AM but in Beyer Park, behind Beyer High School on Sylvan Meadows Dr.

And just a side note: Sifu Thomas has been requested to judge at the tournament, and then has been formally requested by Grand Masters Su Yu-Chang and Jason Tsou to participate in the ceremony to take him (and our school) into the formal Wu Tang lineage, which would be recognized even in China & Taiwan. There will also be some other big dogs in the Wu Tang line who will attend, such as Adam Hsu.

That's it in a nutshell. Sifu is usually at the studio Mon - Thurs. Call him at (209) 529-2970. Email at KFImail@sbcglobal.net or me cybull@hotmail.com

PS We've had several students begin to put a website up, but never finish it. Sifu is always open to such a trade--at least he will listen to such a proposal.....