Kung fu books

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Su lin, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Wow this thread hasn't been commented on in a while! I have Shaolin Kung Fu by Wong Kiew Kit. Waterstone's said it was good. so I got it. True story!

It is focused more on how to get the most out of your training regardless of what style you practice and it has a good overview of Kung Fu in general. I think its a great read! Also the Choi Li Fut guy who was in the Sky One program Fight School (maybe ChimpCheng knows/is him? I know the guy was from Newcastle :O) had it.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Don't get the Chimp started on his famous Fight School mate! :p

3. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Did I just open a can of Kung Fu worms!? :confused:

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

If he sees this he will, but he hasn't yet so it's ok :D

5. NorthernMantis

NorthernMantis New Member

Just ordered "The Shaolin Grandmasters' Text: History, Philosophy, And Gung Fu of Shaolin Ch'an". Looks like a very interesting book.

[​IMG]

I'm looking for well put together and in-depth Chinese Martial Arts history books, if anyone knows of any please let me know. I'm not looking for something that has a basic chapter on history and then goes into 500 pages of diagrams with "how to" on forms and techniques.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

7. NorthernMantis

I saw that one, I passed on it because looking inside it appeared to be more of a kids book .. or comic book almost.

8. Qasim

Qasim Valued Member

Definitely for kids.

9. Rabu

Rabu Valued Member

Right.

I will give it a go.

Anything written by Stanley Henning, Brian L Kennedy, Elizabeth Guo.

There is a magazine printed in the US called "Journal of Asian Martial Arts" which contains excellently written educated articles which are peer reviewed. I would consider this to be a sort of 'New England Journal of Medicine" for martial arts in general. Many arts are covered in the articles submitted.

Adam Hsu I have only heard excellent things about as an author and researcher.

Jang Jwing Ming publishes excellent books as well.

Kung Fu Elements by Shou-Yu Liang and Wen-Ching Wu is an excellent book and a decent addition to any library of serious martial artists.

Books by Sun Lu Tang, especially his books on Hsing Yi application and theory.

On the Japanese side of the house, books written by Mas Oyama are an excellent read. Jigaro Kano as well.

Some things to watch out for:

Books which claim all martial arts came from China, specifically the Shaolin Temple.

Books which include the myth that Bhodidharma taught monks martial arts or Qigong. Or that empty handed martial arts were extensively taught at Shaolin as a main activity. (the Shaolin Manual listed earlier propogates this myth, as do many other sources. This has been completely and thoroughly debunked since the 1920's and earlier inside China.)

10. NorthernMantis

Thanks for the reply, I will look into those authors.

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Mr. Kennedy wrote an excellent book called "Chinese Martail Arts Training Manuals" with Elizabeth Guo which gave an interesting history on training manuals. Mr. Kennedy is also a MAP member.

12. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

LOL! thanks! Now that you mention it, the guy was just a teenager :/

13. cimerio

cimerio New Member

hello, everybody.
    can somebody recommend me a kung fu (taolu/kati) book??
    I am more interested in physical well being than combat or self defense. the kung fu movements, especially those based in animals, seems the best alternative.
    i am more than 40 years old, and with a RSI past. so, the soft movements and exercises are the best choice.
    the tai chi chuan is very slow and boring for me. I believe that I like more the kung fu.
    In this pandemy, all dojos are closed in Brazil.
    so, a book can help me? or should I rather see youtube videos?

14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Essentials of the Fist
    Ancient Martial Art Training Principles
    English Translation and Interpretation of a 400 Year Old Chinese Martial Arts Manual

cimerio likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Simply... Wing Chun Kung Fu
    by Sifu Shaun Rawcliffe