Kuma Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Kuma, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Though really ambitious of me, as I never update anything that much, I am willing to give it a shot. Been trimming down some as of late, so I'm right around 86kg/190 pounds at ~173cm/68 inches. Most of my strength training is now kettlebells, body weight, sledgehammer work, and the like since I exclusively train at home now. Current goals are focusing on flexibility and fighting stamina, as well as preparing for an Army fitness test.

Yesterday afternoon I put in a good session with the kettlebells and stretching. That night was my Kyokushin class. Knockdown class, so lots of fighting combinations and kicking on the pads. About 90 minutes total, pretty vigorous workout.

Fridays are my current "off" days due to my work schedule, so I just stretched today.

2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I've been interested in doing sledgehammer stuff. Looks SOO cool and from having chopped wood a few times I have to assume its similiar in terms of level of pain afterward, lol....

I'd be really interested in that part of your training.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I really like to use it in a circuit, typically combined with a kettlebell exercise, a body weight exercise, and a skill drill like round kicks on the bag, a kata, or something similar. Using the Tabata protocol for it is pretty fun too.

4. Bigmikey

Damn... you're gonna make me steal a tractor tire from one of the 90 farmers that surround me, lol....

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Actually chopping wood is worse as there is no rebound and you have to pull the ax out by yourself. I've never been so sore from sledgehammer work as I've been from chopping wood for three hours straight one day.

But it just feels so freaking BADASS to do. :love:

I like this format. Mind if I borrow it at some later date?

EDIT:

Believe me, they'd probably give you as many as you ask for for free - and be glad to have gotten rid of the damn things.

6. Bigmikey

I KNOW, RIGHT?!?!

LOL, I just had a visual of me rolling two tractor tires down the street, lol!!!

7. Rand86

Sigh... I've never broken a board in my life but if THAT'S how it feels like I can actually understand why TMA guys keep doing it.

If you ever get around to that, be sure to have a camera rolling... that came out wrong, didn't it? :Angel: ;)

8. Bigmikey

It IS kinda like that. I love killing wood. :D

9. Rand86

Something came to me just now - get yourself a bigger tyre and just FLIP it Mariusz Pudzianowski style to your home. That's your workout taken care of then and there!

10. Bigmikey

That would be even FUNNIER!!!! :hat:

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Go for it. My usual approach is to set a moderate rep goal for each exercise (say 20 snatches per arm as an example) then use the skill training as an active rest portion. I then just try to repeat it as many times as possible. Another option is doing the exercises for a set time (i.e. 60 sec of alternating one-handed swings).

12. Rand86

So... just so we're clear: it's sledgehammer, kettlebell, skill, BWE, rest? Or is the order not all that important?

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The exercises not so much but skill is usually last to use as active rest. Once skill starts to suffer, you don't want to do too much when you're dead tired so keep it in moderation.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Looking forward to this one :)

What's the army fitness test for Kuma? I had the impression you were a LEO?

Mitch

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm also an engineer in the US Army Reserves, though less than a year remaining now for me. That'll be a decade for me, but unfortunately that's the last of the military life for me.

16. Bigmikey

We talked about that right? You're a 12B, right? I spent a while as a 12C - Bridge crewman. Good ol' Fort Leanard Wood....

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's right, Mikey, though now I'm reclassed as a 12W, carpentry and masonry. Hoping to use that to my advantage with making some homemade training equipment.

18. Bigmikey

THATS right... its all coming back to me now. Sorry. Slow-witted today. Lack of sleep and the stress of a 15 year olds first bon fire party. I can report that no one was set on fire or killed.

I have always wanted to make some training equipment. Had a friend who built "the rack" back in highschool out of plumbing pipe and some 4x4s. I think that thing was stronger than the house he lived in, lol.

19. Rand86

If I say this log bears watching would something bad happen to me?

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Not immediately, but eventually I would find you.