Kuk Sool Won

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by funkymonk, Oct 6, 2004.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

This is from an advert taken from 'Taekwondo and Korean Martial Arts' magazine

"This is a kickinthrowinpunchinfightinbreakinmeditatinbreathinfallin kinda style. Eveything for everybody.Try it for free! Just call and see,you'll be glad you did. If you combine the skills of aikido throwing principles with jiujitsu locking and joint breaking techniques, add the majesty of kobudo weaponry together with the stunning kicks of taekwondo,mix them all up with karate punches, inject the dynamic power of ki, sprinkle well with the knowledge of an acupuncturist, and finally spend two generations organising them into a pragmatic system of self defence and a way of living. Then you might have something which resembles the remarkable Korean art of Kuk Sool Won"

Does anybody on here know anything about this art because i'd never heard of it before and it sounds too good to be true. I can't see me ever leaving taekwondo but i'd think about looking at this art for different things like weaponry and acupuncture. :)

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it was written that way??? :D :D :D

3. Yoo Shin

Yoo Shin New Member

The founder of Kuk Sool Won started his school right down the street from where I live. I took a 3 day trial class their before going back to TKD and didn't think it was for me. They use a lot of more circular motions in there techniques vs. the lineararity of TKD. They have cool black uniforms and a lot of cool weapons but couldn't tell you much else from just 3 days. It was after I watched the Black Belt class spar, that I decided to go back to TKD. Just wasn't what I was used to.
    http://www.kuksoolwon.com/

4. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

A good chunk of that sounds like generic Hapkido
    HKD has joint locks and throws, similar to ju jitsu and aikido, kicks similar to TKD, strikes similar to TKD and Karate, weapons including swords, and depending on the style Ki work. Theres also several principles, including the circular one mentioned above. So......

Maybe it's just hapkido renamed? ;) :p

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

don't you all find this sentence truly amazing? :D :D :D

6. soo han

soo han New Member

kuk sool won is a comprehensive korean art created from what achient manuscripts the japaneese did not destroy its kicks are simmilar to hwarang-do in a sense that they resemble sun moo do and bool moo do. they also teach weapons and such ki manipulation and from the demonstarions i seen it prety good but good luck trying to finda school...... most are in texas

7. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Yes I know a few things about the other style I study:D

We pretty cover joint locks, falling, striking, meditating, stretching, wrestling/groundwork, and weapons.

8. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Developed from ancient long lost manuscripts the Japanese didn't destroy? Wow that has to be good!! The very best martial arts are the comprehensive ones we get from manuscripts.

Seriously it sounds like a gimmick to me. Truth is, don't go looking fo rhte best martial art ever. Just look for something that you like the looks of and an instructor you get a good solid feeling about. What a few classes and make sure you like their teaching style and training style. In the end the martial artist makes the art, not the other way around.

9. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

Missed opportunity

My friend studied Kuk Sul Won many yrs ago. Unfortunately he's not around to consult about it anymore. Nevermind...

10. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Andy the style itself is damn good, but the instructors that teach are sometimes bad. I managed to find a school that's by invite only, and know the instructor's good. Kuk Sool Won is a pretty easy style to learn, and even easier to apply.

11. Edward Hsu

Edward Hsu Valued Member

When I was in college, the only MA club they had was a Kuk Sool Won club...I have been in WTF TKD all my life, and the experience with Kuk Sool Won was an interesting one...personally I felt it's system was too slow for me, but it did introduce me to different aspects...it was the first art I did rolling/falling with (I continued on with my Hapkido training) and they showed me a few weapons forms.Other then that it wasn't for me personally but you should try it out and see if it is for you ...

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

LOL - I am not picking on the art. I was actually poking fun at the description. I'm sure it is credible.

13. William MacLeod

William MacLeod New Member

I think the martial art is awesom. I have been taking it for almost 13 years now both in Ireland, and Denver Colorado. I will be testing for my second degree black belt soon. Damn won't let me send the picture. Any way I have a picture of me in my dorm room with my black belt uniform that I got when I went to test for my 1st degree.

14. William MacLeod

Maybe that's the reason why most people here have never heard of it...I trained under Mr. Kevin Fitch mostly in Englewood Colorado. My uncle how ever was the one that taught me it in Southern Ireland.

15. woodrow

woodrow Banned Banned

It is rare to find an instructor I think. I took it. I thought it was very cool. If Korea had a chinese style martial art, it would be Kuk Sool Won.

I liked it because they did everything. Locks, punches, kicks, wrestling. I had never been to a school like that before. My favorite part was the acrobatics they did. I couldn't do them. Too uncoordinated. BUT! One of the top students was a gymnast or something. It was like a dream to watch this guy do cartwheels and flips and these fancy flying attacks. He was thin and not very muscular and he looked like a kid. He could really put the hurt on someone if they took him on based on looks only.

Then a student came from out of town. He was a black guy. I mention that because they always seem to do so well in the classes I have been in. He is invited to teach class that night. So one of the first things he does is a no arm cartwheel. Just throws himself into a cartwheel and comes up firm on both feet. No stumbling, no wobbling, nothing. Took my breath away. I would have paid money to be able to do that.

Maybe I was lucky. The instructor was an ex olympic wrestler. He was like a side of beef. Short and stocky and really wide. He was one of those guys that stayed in back while the students taught. That bothered me some. But then he was such a tough guy, I let it go. He wasn't a jerk tought guy like some of them. He was really solid and "ready", kind of like Bas Rutten if you know him. He doesn't get angry but you can tell by looking at him that he would tear people up.

I liked the art. If the instructor is good, you will learn something.

16. William MacLeod

There are three kind of kart wheels that we do. The two hand, one hand, and no hand. We also doing cool stuff like back and front flips, and in the air summer saults.