Kuk Sool Won v.s. Hwa Rang Do

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyeongsa, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

No, this isn't a "my art is better than your art" thread!

Kuk Sool Won and Hwa Rang Do both started in the same time frame. Both Grand Masters claimed to study ancient Royal Court and Buddhist methods. They even started an association together called Kuk Sool Hyul (or Hwe, in some records). However, the Masters in that association (which, if the records are correct, there are quite a few) had a falling out, and Suh, In Hyuk and Lee, Joo Bang have bitter words against each other for it.

So, my thoughts are this: Who started what? Who trained who? Who is more traditional and why? Whose roots run deeper in the Ancient Traditional martial Arts?

Your thoughts on this would be most welcome!

2. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

never seen their hyung. any youtubes i couldmt find?!?
    one master was based out of seoul, the other busan.

3. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

4. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

My thoughts.
    Why does it matter?
    Learn Train Teach

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

It matters only to the sycophants in the system! :hail: :evil:

6. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

ROFLMAO Nice one pugil! that was brilliant!

i just like the history behind things. "you need to look at the past to understand the future." thats what my teacher use to tell me. so, if i can find the similiarties between the two, or just start an intellectual discussion, it'll be useful, no?

7. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

ive heard of a few of the old group ( kim woo tak, seo bok sup, etc) that are senior to him, but maybe that has little to do with who contributed what.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

I have no idea about Hwa Rang Do and have onlyh studied KS for 4 years or so. so have no useful contribution. However, I would suggest the Bruce would have some significant input into this discussion if you can entice him in, since he is very, very knowledgable about such things and the origins of the Korean MAs. Also, Unknown KJN is a bit of a dark horse on things like this. Reading his posts shows he has some pretty detailed knowledge himeself.

I would suggest, Hyeongsa, these will be amongst your most valuable contributers although others will undoubtedly have other useful information for you.

As forKiwest and Pugil, LOL, when it boils down to it you are both correct. Like it. Learn, hard, train hard.

However, having an interest in history I like to see where things come from and how they happened and why. It is interesting to note from a totally dispationate point of view that even within living memory, (i.e. the last 50 years or so) there is some dispute over who did what with whom and why! (How much can we trust primary sources from much earlier???)

Cheers gents and ladies, as always, have fun!

9. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

lol.... the bruce. he does know his stuff well enough to get a 'the'

i feel bad for those that got burnt by his federation, but jb lee looks like he was/is one helluva (norcal talk) martial artist.

10. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

I'm not too keen to watch two 70+ year old men go at it.

But the voyeur in me would love to see their eldest (and IMO, most talented) sons go head-to-head in forms, sparring, weapons etc etc etc competition!

Sung Jin Suh (8th dahn KSW) versus Taejoon Lee (8th dahn HRD).

11. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

woof, now THAT would be a thouhg...master sung jin versus master lee. who would you bet your money on? both are EXTREMELY talented. i know master lee does a whole mess of grappling, while master sung jin likes to stay away from ground combat. intresting set up michelle!

12. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Well on one hand, Master Lee is a wide range of skills (as HRD tends to continuously add things) and grappling is a plus in any MA program. However, Master Suh has some amazing speed and power that I just don't see in Master Lee. Interesting concept...They are both outstanding mudoin in any case, amazing gents ;-)

13. MasterDunchok

MasterDunchok Valued Member

What's really great is that four years ago on this forum, people had no idea even what Kuk Sool Hwe was, and were violently opposed to the notion that Suh In Hyuk didn't commence it all as he claimed. Now it seems to be common knowledge, and everyone accepts that bit of history as a matter of course. I think that's fantastic.

Heheh, it could also be why the KSW is cutting their losses and packing up the show, what with their new demands regarding franchising.

14. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

i've noticed something (and please correct me if i'm wrong): it seems hwa rang do has no forms. tae soo do does, but its tae kwon do based. i checked the hwa rang do syallabus, and couldn't find anything in the way of forms until Master level.
    does anyone have any videos of Hwa Rang Do forms?

15. cgb1223

cgb1223 Valued Member

both Tae Soo Do and Hwa Rang Do has one empty hand form per belt rank. There are three weapons forms under black belt. Once students reach 1st dan there are 1 - 3 weapons forms per degree. I know a couple of the HRD color belt forms very similar to the Kuk Sool forms (their yellow sash is very similar to either the 2nd or 3rd kuk sool form). You won't find many video's of the HRD forms though. Once they started copywrighting the syllabus many of the demos that showed forms were removed from the web.

16. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

There is a form for every color belt sash in Hwa Rang Do see their curriculum. They then forms for every dan rank as well. I do enjoy their transparency, all requirements up to 10 dan posted...Nice :cool:

17. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i like the sash idea. how do you think it would look on a generals uniform? add a headband!
    i only say this bc i believe sashes are more traditional.

18. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

sashes and headbands would look cool. they do it in korea kuk sool won.

19. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Only in Korea D2

20. Unjeesunsu

Unjeesunsu Valued Member

A sash on a Generals Uniform??? I think that would look absolutely stupid. Sorry.

Headband maybe, for those that sweat a lot, but personally I would not want to wear a sash at all.

Unjee