Kuk Sool Self Defence

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Silentmonk, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Kuk Sool Self Defence And Practical Application.

How much time does your class spend on practical adaptation of kuk sools traditional techniques into a more applicable modern day self defence?

Am interested as have noticed a few posts have mentioned that their classes do this before. Also how does this take form? How much time is spent on observational skills? Avoidance? The interview? working from behind a fence? (for both single and multiple attackers) Pre-emptive striking? Trigger words? Dealing with adrenaline influx? Tell tale signs of imminant attack because of an attackers inability to deal with this, or the ways they hide it? Why people are chosen as victims?? etc etc

What percentage of time is practical application and what percentage is just talking about it? Discuss. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  2. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

I do as much of this on my own as I can.

It's definitely something I would like to see more of in my Dojang, though.

You also might want to add "de-escalation" to your list of practical training.

3. Silentmonk

Yeah that i think might be being covered in "the interview" and "avoidance" but thanks for suggestion :)

4. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

so what is "the interview"?

I assumed avoidance was "being aware of possibly dangerous situations and just not getting into them".

5. Silentmonk

The interview basically is the confrontational conversation that pre-empts the fight, the time when the attacker decides whether they are gonna batter you or pick a new victim.(an interview) Its the time they use diversion tactics to open a window for attack or decide that you are not the walk over they are looking for. So therefore avoidance within this situation would be stopping them from taking the situation to the next level. So de-escalation. It can be done by verbal either passive or aggressive, or posturing again passive or aggressive, and is dependant on the attacker and the situation. Also this is best done from behind a fence as you need to discourage them from actually entering your space so they feel like they can't attack. I understand what you mean about avoidance being what you say aswell and was meant like that too. :)

6. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

although we don't go through it on a regular basis i have done some work on pre-emptive strikes, situation awareness, defending personal space and random attacks rather than just standing there waiting for someone to grab or try and kick/punch me.

it helps that my psbn is a police officer and also teaches self defence at a professional level outside of kuk sool so we can learn from his real life experiences.

:)

edit: damn silentmonk, only 5 behind! :bang:

7. Silentmonk

Hey dave can you actually do me a favour and get the official line of the Norfolk/ Suffolk police and pre-emptive striking i.e. what i should be saying on my statement if arrested :) "fear for my personal safety etc etc" cheers matey. :) oh thats 4 now haha

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

why? you haven't been arrested for assault after your attack on one of your defenceless female red belts, have you? :D :eek:

edit: i'm only joking before anyone comes in accusing silentmonk of being a woman beater. he really is a nice guy :Angel:

9. Silentmonk

No dave not yet ( i hate you ) This goes under the heading of avoidance also. I.e. avoiding doing a two stretch for defending myself but saying the wrong thing on my police statement.

10. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

ah thanks ^_^! great info.

11. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

I think this type of thing was available and offered as a supplement to ksw 15-20 years ago by people who were among the best in the field. Since it was not adopted, one must conclude that it was regarded as either unnecessary or unneeded. My guess is that it would require people to actually be objectively comptent based on preformance and knowledge rather than subjectively competent based on opinion and conjecture, limiting oppourtunity for advancement in ksw/ma for many. I don't believe there are many people in ksw who are competent to teach this type of thing. It take more than just being a cop who studies ksw or m/a. It seems like it would require more expertise in confrontational psycology, law enforcement, tactical/situational awareness, and other things, than in ksw/ma. These areas are not part of ksw in general unless a specific instructor makes it the case in thier own dojang. The risks of teaching this are high in the U.S. as potential vicarious and contingent liabilites outweigh the benefits of teaching it to the general public. And it's just not profitable. unfortunately this leaves those who desire to learn these skills with few options. Pursue the difficult task of finding one of the few who are qualified to bridge the gap from formal ma/ksw, to applied s/d. Or go into Law enf and get the training required to achieve these skills ouitside of m/a then figure out how to bridge the gap yourself.

12. Silentmonk

I think the basic problem is that as you say it doesn't look pretty so therefore it doesn't get attention it deserves. I know that there is at least one other person who has looked at this subject on a similar basis and from similar sources as myself over here. Sadly we seem to spend most of our time arguing on this forum. :cry:

13. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

In the states there are some very good coarses available. They are expensive though. I have not had a chance to take one yet, but I do look forward to it. Just need to get together the cash and the vacation time.

If anyone is interested in this stuff and can't go to a seminar, then you could start be reading up on this stuff. Good authors are Geoff Thompson, Marc MacYoung and Peyton Quinn.

Simple things we will do in class is practice techniques where the attacker grabs and then punches the defender. For starters we stick with a specific technique at a time. When those are good we go into random from a given set and from there into a random grab.

14. ember

ember Valued Member

PSBN Alanna had us work on an "escape from throttling" exercise a few times.

I had a few mini-course type of things. That grade school instructor I've mentioned gave us an acronym to use, SAFE:

Secure
    Avoid
    Flee
    Engage

In order of precedence:

Secure - situational awareness, knowing where you are and what's around you.
    Avoid - places that look dangerous, especially obvious things like dark alleys
    Flee - if you can
    Engage - as a last resort, *then* fight.

Other than that little schoolboy incident
    ( http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39828&page=3 )
    I've never had any problems on the streets. The other fights were more about power and control. :eek:

The rest? Walk with a purpose, even if you're not sure where you're going. If you've gotta be somewhere, do it in daylight and/or don't go alone.

Shoulda seen me in Seoul, I was sticking close to the guys I trusted most, head up, look straight, walk fast, and as tall as I can manage. Heading back to the hotel, just Brian and me, there was NO WAY I was going back that one street we came up, especially as little as we know the language. Nice busy thoroughfare a block over was much more appealing... and if we didn't see the bell where I expected it to be, *then* we could go back and try again.

15. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

haha XD good advice, but for some reason when I read:

I couldn't help but imagine you walking (or awkwardly tottering from foot to foot) with rigid limbs and an uncomfortable look on your face... maybe I watch too much Anime ; ;

I look sweet, but I guess I carry myself well… No one ever confronts me anymore (unless I’ve been drinking and bump into another drunk guy… >.> even then it’s usually all talk).

16. ember

ember Valued Member

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, not that!!! Just, back straight & head up. :p