kubotan

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nicolo, Jul 7, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

...WHAT???!!!! ... and break a nail???!!!! just kidding!:p

Honestly though, one of the techniques I learned was a choking technique to crush an assailant's trachea ... I am not as confident in my "choking skills" with my hands but I do feel confident on doing it with the kubaton.

The kubotan provides some added leverage. IThey say that wrist locks, arm bars, come-alongs, chokes, and leg locks become more painful with the kubotan. The kubatons rigidity makes it much more resistant to an attacker's efforts to power out a hold or lock.

Fortunately for the US the kubaton doesn't face the legal difficulties (as in the UK) and also of many other edged and impact weapons which are illegal in the US.

2. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

I once used a hard Tootsie Roll...

How do you apply a choke with a Kubotan? Is it like a hadaka jime for example but with the edge stuck into the opponent's trachea? Or do you just reach from behind and use the body of the kubotan for a choke.

3. Guppy^

Guppy^ New Member

Hi new poster here :),

I have been carrying a Kubotan for a while , and never used it for real yet but...

My Ju Jitsu Instructor showed me a few ways of inflicting pain with the affore mentioned item, to wrists was an easy and very painfull one.
    But none involved acually using the Kubaton to strike.
    I was under the impression its purpose was as a restraint to basically nip nerves between it and bone and cause pain with no lasting affects.

Never thought of the maglight idea , cool :)

Garry

4. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Does anyone know where I can get a a punching one, with the points coming out from inbetween 2 fingers?
    In Australia, hopefully with a key chain attachment.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ouch! Imagine having one of those in your pocket, you'll stab yourself. Technically not a kubotan though, just a western *******isation of one! ;)

Col

6. Dark Blade

Well, I aint gonna be putting it in my back pocket....damn...that'd be painful :p

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

*cough*pliers*cough*

8. Dark Blade

That's just evil.
    :D

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

KC, one of the things that we do when teaching womens SD classes is work with the itemi stick, basically a wooden kubotan. We show them how to use them and it builds up confidence in the person, then we show them how to do most of the stuff with knuckles and hands.

At the least, it teaches people how to turn things like pens, spoons, toothbrushes into weapons.

Col

10. shortstick

shortstick New Member

I have one a student made out of rose wood....very nice looking.
    I tell people its for keeping my keys floating in water.
    I got my wife the kind with the spikes that stick out the side. YOu can close your fist and those spikes are right there ready to go.
    Its on her key chain and she walks to the car with them in her closed hand ready to poke anyone that wants to mess with her.
    This makes her feel more secure, and that helps project a "I'm not an easy target" vibe. Sometimes thats enough.

11. LexS

LexS New Member

IMHO

Sorry for the image size but I posted of a tool I make at:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

I also make a straight 'Koppo' stick with finger cord from the same material.

Opinions:

Keep this image in mind: 'Committed, Focused Attacker'.

1) You don't want to defend yourself with your personal keys. That'll just bloody your hand and only anger an attacker. If a metal baton or full-strength OC spray doesn't always work for the police...

And what if you lose them to the attacker and he/she knows your address and where your car is parked?

If you're dead set on keys, use fake or old ones you can afford to lose.

2) Mace or pepper spray will ALWAYS get on the defender or in his/her eyes. If you are going to depend on this stuff as a main weapon, be prepared. Sample it (outdoors) with an assistant to help you wash it off your skin or out of your eyes. CAVEAT: get advice from a police training officer first. Some departments that use OC spray expose police cadets to it during training. Find out how they do that safely.

Consider: What if it discharges during church? At work? In your car on the highway?

3) Even carrying a defensive weapon is a calculated risk. I try to asses the risk of assault against the legality of its possession.

That which I usually carry is not illegal in the U.S. and is not detectable by metal detectors.

4) Substitutes: Combination lock as a metal knuckle, 2-3 AA battery flashlight as a yawara stick (lacks the finger cord of a Koppo but is legal everywhere.) Some 2 AA brands are made 7" long. See auto parts stores.

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Nice pointy stick Lex!

I like the idea about a loseable set of keys too...

I carry my kubotan in my handbag by itself. Sometimes with its friend the ninja stick. :yeleyes: