KSW Training Schedule

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by TXKukSoolBB, Oct 30, 2005.

1. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

After reading through many threads on this website...especially in the fitness area, I have come across different things to add to my training program that are improving my Kuk Sool practice (for exp. Plyometrics). I'm like most of you in that I work all day and on the nights that I teach, it is difficult to train. So, I find I am training more and more outside of class (for exp. 5:00am). I don't know how else to get in hyung, nak bub, demo, sparring, soo, weapons etc. practice. How do you guys get all of your training in? What does your typical training week look like? I'm curious and open to hear any/all ideas. Below is my typical week (subject to a moments change as I have two small kids :) )

Monday: a.m.-General skills (kicks, punches, forms (including weapons)
    and 20-30 minute Ross Enamait workout (they are all good)
    p.m.-teach
    Tuesday: a.m.-20 min interval on treadmill, 40 min power yoga
    p.m.- family crosstraining circuit: pushing the swing
    (upperbody), monkey bars (spotting and catching), change the
    diaper (speed and accuracy) :)
    Wednesday: same as Monday
    Thursday: same as Tuesday
    Friday: Monday a.m.
    p.m. BB Class with sparring and demo

Sat/Sun: A mix of whatever I can get it. Generally at least one 3-5 mile
    run at a moderate pace.

2. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i agree. it is very hard to fit in your own training if you work all day and then teach at night. i tend to do most of my classes with my students so i get a good workout every class, also after class we go of and do gymnastics for another 2hrs, which is fantastic for body conditoning an spacial awareness, out side of this i get together with my partner maxine and air nick for additional kuk sool, and gymnastics training training. as well as traverling to see my own and other instructors when i can for more training

3. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

My workout for the past 2 months has been

Sunday: 2-4+ hours of informal, "full contact" weapons sparring (staff, sword, bladed staff)

Monday: 7:30-8:30 help out with the intermediate class 8:30-9:30 blackBelt class

Tuesday: 5 min warmup, 30Min jog (~2.7-3miles w/elevation), med. weight/High Rep. weight training.(30min)

Wednesday: 7:30-8:30 help out with the intermediate class 8:30-9:30 blackBelt class

Thursday: 5 min warmup, 30Min jog (~2.7-3miles w/elevation), med. weight/High Rep. weight training.(30min)

Friday: I usually give myself off or do some fun training like weapons hyung

Saturday: Been trying to make it to the 8:30am bbClass at my dojang (hard when you don't go to bed till 3)... this last weekend I spent 1hr in the advanced class, 1 hr helping in the intermediate class then ~2 hours(I think) extra training with PSBN.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Wow, I'm not the only one stuck working out alone. My work is so bad that I cannot commit to helping with the class on a regular basis. Because of that and family life, my workout schedule is very irratic, although somehow I do manage to get in daily practice time.

I think kids street chalk is a workout loners best friend. I use it to practice my footwork for techniques, blocks, and counterattacks. I usually line up with a long seam in the concrete. That seam is where the centerline of me and my attacker are, and represents his attack vector. Then I mark positions on the ground with chalk. I usually uses x's for feet and ovals for the body. It is amazing how many cool excersises you can come up with using chalk.

If the cars out of the garage, then I can hang a staff from the rafters. The staff is over the concrete seam, and represents the attack line of a fist for instance. This helps so I won't look down. I try to use peripheral vision for the marks on the ground but sometimes I get lazy and catch myself starring down.

5. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Well i did just write up my training session and then i pushed the delete button and it all went so as i can't be bothered to write it all up again heres some advice. Do everything as quickly as possible, this is what i do

e.g i have homework to learn some french words, i learn the ammount i need to not get detention and don't bother with getting good marks.

Doing this might seem stupid but it cuts down on lots of hard work and makes life a hell of a lot easier. Also make sure you only train with things that are actually going to help you, like in our KSW in our class at least we don't do much stamina work, so just leave that out and train in kicking/form technique instead.

6. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Wow, that is cool.

What kind of armor do you wear? The kendo stuff? I used to train with a guy who dressed up like a knight and they'd beat the hell out of each other. He ended up quitting KS though :cry: he suffered one too many bad injuries.

7. ember

ember Valued Member

Up to the week before Korea, I was doing:

Monday: ~1 hour weight training

Tuesday: Help with Intermediate & Beginner classes, 8:15 class

Wednesday: ~1 hour weight training

Thursday: Help with Intermediate & Beginner classes, 8:15 class

Friday: 5:15 class, 6:15 whatever's going on (watch testing, help w/ promotions, or my own weapons class)

Saturday: help with 10:30 class, attend 11:15 (or watch testing), sometimes SWAT at noon

Sunday: informal & easy group practice ~7 am, various locations (park across from Freeman library, down in Galveston, or at a friends farm). Start with staff, move on to forms & techniques.

But... now I'm waiting to check with my doc before continuing any heavy weight training. I may switch over to a general cardio on Mondays & Wednesdays, or go back to weapons practice at home. A lot depends on where I am with my academic classes, too.

8. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

hehe... I wear a modified Hockey (goalies) Mask, and a pair of Hockey Gloves... the rest of our body is exposed, it really helps that learning curve!! (kinda like learning the headBreaker, Jul Bong, technique with heavy wooden jul bongs ^_^)

Surprisingly, I only walk away with some bruises on my arms and torso. No broken fingers or collar bones… yet. d(^_^)

I know I’m no where near ready to use any Kuk Sool gum techniques effectively. I’m just doing this type of sparring to prepare my mind to react to that sort of threat/pain/reaction, without fear or hesitation.

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Cool.
    Are you using wooden, metal, or bamboo swords? My old KS partner seperated his shoulder using a metal sword, which kind of convinced me I wouldn't want to go that route.

10. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

We mostly use hardwood Bokens. And since the class is not affiliated with Kuk Sool, some metal foils, wooden bladed, full length staffs have also been used. As well as many different styles of eastern, middle eastern, and asian sword fighting.

The class is really all about adaptive fighting and I've had swords thrown at me, takedowns, punches and kicks are allowed (if you really want to leave an appendage vulnerable).

I've even had a very entertaining fight, where one guy had two swords. I disarmed one hand (after a very clumsy attack) Then backed the other guy up and kicked his own sword at him (much like the technique for "partner bong retrieval") as I lunged in for the killing blow as he was trying to block the stray sword....I don't really know what I'm doing, but it's fun as hell. =D

11. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

my normal training seems a bit lame compared to some of you guys but here goes.

monday p.m 1-2 hours in the gym. a mix of cardio and weight training

tuesday p.m 19:00 - 20:00 help out with junior students, 20:00 to 21:00 adult training, mostly brown belt up.

wednesday p.m 1-2 hours in the gym. same as monday but occasionally sit in the steam room and swim for 30 mins

friday, same as tuesday

i work most weekends but when i'm not i'll be in the gym for an hour or so doing a mix of cardio and weights.

:)

12. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

not lame at all, dave... but ... when do you fit in time for tea? :/

13. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

well...

i get in from work at around 18.15 and usually have a banana or something before i go out. when i get back home i'll have a jacket potato or salad before going to bed.

14. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

jeez that makes me sound like some ultra fit, super toned athlete.

unfortunatly i'm not :bang: . i like too much of the good stuff. beer, crisps, chocolate etc LOL

15. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

But seeing that...I need to add that back to my diet! :) Seriously, some good ideas from everyone. The sidewalk chalk from KSW123 is really original!

I would also like to learn more about KSN Matt's gymnastic training. That sounds very interesting and a little change of pace...while still related to what we do!

16. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

if KSN matt is the same person i'm thinking of, then he and KSN maxine are pretty awesome at gymnastics. them, along with AirNick and others perform a very impressive gymnastics demo at the uk tournaments. i only wish i was flexible and supple enough to do half of what they can.

17. psbn matt

fame at last. yes davefly76 that is who i am, and you wouldn't say that if you saw air nick fall flat on his face during our nak bub demo in korea, it was very funny and makes a change as its useually me that fall on my butt in falling demos. as for my gymnastic training, i see somthing i think looks cool on a video on on the web (bilang.com) and work at it untill i can do it. but i allways start a class with the basics: handstands, handstand walks, tuck up/straddle up/pike up to handstand, handsprings, roundoff, 1 hand 2 hand ariel cartwheel, front/side somersaults and tricking ect. a very good upper body and cardio workout. then you get to play and do the fun stuff.

18. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

*Prays it's edited out of the DVD*

19. psbn matt

i will always remember it

20. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

ksn matt,

when you do 1 handed cartwheels to you use your front or back hand? i've tried both and i can't seem to generate enough speed to go all the way over without putting my other hand down just before my first foot lands.

i used to be able to do 2 handed and straight into 1 handed no problem, using the momentum from the first cartwheel but it's all gone to pot recently.