KSW Tournament in Katy Texas

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Quozl, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

HI All,

Two quick questions for you all:

1) In the World Championshp Tournaments, is the sparring full contact, and if so is it continuous sparring or does it stop when a point is scored?

2) For those of you living in the Houston Area, are there any decent hotels near Katy where the tournament in October appears to be, and other than the tournament, is there anything else of interest to do (cultual, historical, museums, NASA Mission Control Stations, general things to do of interest) in and around the Katy area.

I suppose having said "two quick questions", a third would just be bad manners! But here it goes any way.

3) How easy is it to get from Downtown Houston to where the tournament in Katy by public transport? (I ask as on looking on the internet for hotels the really decent ones appear all to be in the centre of houston, whilst the Katy area seems only to have very cheap motels (or so it appears from the internet!).

I am seriously considering coming over to Houston for the Tournament in October, and want to start sorting out hotels, flights etc, but am having real difficulty trying to find a decent hotel near Katy, and am not sure where best to stay.

Thanks all,

Quozl

2. PopeCoyote

PopeCoyote The words of the fool

1) If it's like previous years, sparring is light to no contact, depending on your center judge, no takedowns, and match pauses when a point is scored.

2) I don't live in the Katy area, but most of the attractions in the area that I know of are either downtown or in Clear Lake(NASA). To give you and idea, Katy is the western suburb of Houston, Clear Lake is a little ways away to the southeast.

3) Public transport? What Public Transport? Seriously, officially Houston may have some, but it's not worth it.

3. ember

ember Valued Member

1) But don't stop until the judges say stop, because even if you think you scored a point, they may not have seen it. Two out of three judges have to see it for the point to count.

2) Near Katy, I don't know so many.
    -- The San Jacinto monument is to the southeast somewhere ( :eek: after nearly eight years, I haven't been there yet). That's the sequel to the Alamo.
    -- Galveston has Moody Gardens, beaches, and an airplane museum
    -- Clear Lake has Space Center Houston (the visitor's center for the general public), the Saturn V and rocket garden, or you might be able to arrange a private tour through some of the Clear Lake students. Be warned, though, if you want to go the private route you'll need to plan well ahead (~2-3 months or more).

3) Here's bus info: http://www.ridemetro.org/

4. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Thanks Guys,

San Jacinto sounds pretty good. Isn't that where Sam Houston beat Santa Anna?

If Public transport is poor, and I'll check further the web page you sent thanks Embers, would you recommend car hire to get around the area and to and from the Tournament? What is driving like over there?

Cheers for your help.

5. XMan

XMan Valued Member

For goodness sake, rent a car!! This city is over an hour from one end to the other at freeway speeds, and that doesn't include Katy to Galveston. You'll have to take out a loan to pay for the cab rides. LOL

It's also about 45 minutes from Downtown to Katy IF it's not rush hour. So find somehting decent closer to Katy. You can do a distance search for one of the better chains to find one before you get all the way to Katy.

The standards for site-seeing are San Jacinto, Nasa, and Galveston.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

Just another piece of info you might find interesting: Interstate 10 through Katy is sometimes referred to as the Katy parking lot.

7. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ok, I said before in another thread but Ill say it again. As you have seen there arent many nice hotels in the katy area, the closest is the Omni hotel on Katy freeway(US I-10) and Eldridge Pkwy. Below is the website, The hotel you are looking for is the "Omni Houston Hotel at westside" you can find it on the website under the "by hotel" scroll menu on the left. Also below is the hotels general location. Public transit is and will be a joke on the weekend. So car rental is definetly a priority. As to what is availible in the katy area, well there are a number of things to do , there is the equestrian center in Katy, There is a scale model of the forbidden city in katy, with gardens, there is ofcourse Katy Mills Mall which is on the other side of the freeway from where the tourny is, but katy is kind of in the sticks, ( middle of no where) Now if you are planning on staying more than the weekend METRO(Houstons Public transit) can take you to any of houstons fine cultural attractions.

Omni Hotel Webste
    Driving Directios from Tourny to Hotel

8. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Thanks Guys, for all your help.

The Omni looks pretty damned good.

Car hire it is then! (lol).

Arrive a couple of days before and leave a couple of days after the tourney and see San Jacinto and the Forbidden City (maybe.)

Generally have a good time!

Now all I have to do is get time off work! That will be fun!

Once again thanks a lot for you help.

Quozl

9. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I just moved 5 minutes north of downtown off of I-45 and Main. I've got room for 1 or 2 people at my house if anyone wants to crash there, free of charge. Just respect my digs like you'd respect your own. It's only about 15-20 minutes from Katy if you take the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane. I'm planning on going to the Worlds so if anyone stays with me, they can catch a lift to the event. If anyone's interested, PM me and we can discuss it further.

10. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi Jsun,

That is a very kind and generous offer. I would like to thank you on behalf of everyone on this side of the Pond. I may be in touch.

All the best.

11. KSW CANADA

KSW CANADA Valued Member

Hello
    looks like i will be promoting this year some time to 3rd dahn. my instructor asked me recently to get my pictures done for the cirtificates and back to him asap. safe to say it will be at the summer seminar at the end of june at our club.

i am planning on attending the worlds in 08,
    i know there is 3rd dahn comp. i know there is no sparring for 3rd dahn but
    some of the other events like sword and staff, are the double short short and staff forms, and hyung is kyuk pah.

now here is my question(s)
    1: which set or sets of tech are allowed in comp?
    2: what break is done for breaking comp?
    lastly 3: what about weapons competition like knive throwing, and archery???

can any one please help

i dont want to go all that way and look completly lost lol :bang:

if you want you could email me directly at
    kuk_sool_won@hotmail.com
    thanks again

12. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ee Un Ji Ap Soo - twin attacker technique set

Sahm Bang Cha Ki - Three directional kicking ( usually Scissor kick with front kick while still in air- but it really is judges choice)

Sadly the Katy ISD wont let us do archery or knife throwing at their complex, we tried but no dice.

Weapons also include of course double short swords and staff hyungs.

And there is 3rd dahn sparring- bring your gear just to be safe.