KSW Black Belt Licence Agreement

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Unknown Entity, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Not to offer an excuse but, Tesechi conducted that interview with KSN under the false pretense that it would be a TKMA history book, NOT a HKD book. I am sure KSN would have denied the interview had Tesechi had been completely forthcoming.

2. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    -Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)​

3. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

ballet is only taught with french terminoligy, always has, no matter what country you are in be it europe, russia, china or the americas, professional or amater. it is part of the appeal and culture of ballet. the same applies to kuk sool.

i know of a tkd instructor who refuses to use korean in his class. does this make it any less an effective fighting sytem? no. does it make it less of an artform? yes. as has been said on various occasions, its not all about fighting. art is magic, it is a way of adding to something and making it more of an experiance, more interesting, more educational and more fullfilling. this as well as being a great fighting system are the appeal of a traditional martial art, no matter what country it comes from.

4. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i don't understand the problem :confused:we learn a korean martial art, whats wrong with learning a few korean words and terminoligy along the way? :confused: :bang:

5. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Nothing i think the point was that it is expected that you learn more than you need to know just to do the art. I.e. its nice to know the kicks, punches, forms, and instructors belt ranks. But should we be expected to know more??? ITs nice if we do, but expected to as part of a grading system???? :)

6. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

So, eveyone, everywhere, knows what "PliƩ" means.

But when I say "Ahn Dah Ree Cha Ki" or even "inside kick" not all people who practice Korean arts know what I'm talking about. Even if I'm not going to be changing schools, a common terminology helps.

7. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

haha it doesn't bother me mate, if i'm asked to do something for my next grading i'll do it. i'm just too easy going lol.

:)

8. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

So am I, but there will always be people who will complain, right?

9. ember

ember Valued Member

There will. There's a time and place for good-natured grousing. AFTER the training, testing, tournament is over. "Man, that was a tall mountain we just climbed".

But I do NOT want to hear it in the middle of it. I don't care if doing spin kicks down the Kingwood floor will make your feet red. Life is tough. Deal with it, or quit.

10. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

a round of applause for ember :Angel: :)

11. Silentmonk

Hang on this was originally about whether i should have to learn to speak fluent korean lol now im a moaner :eek: blooming heck :confused:

12. ember

ember Valued Member

ROFL :) Does everything have to be about you, oh center of the world ;) :D

13. Silentmonk

YES lol next question. No the quotes followed on from mine and Daves discussion about the learning korean bit lol I was just pointing out that the conversation had changed tack sorry I must be more humble :D

14. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

:eek:

I disappear for a while and in my absence one of the most interesting threads I've ever read, unfolds!

First I think it is a testament to "We are all brothers and sisters" that this kind of discussion can happen without degenerating into a flame-fest. A bow to all.

My experiences tell me that nobody connected to the WKSA adheres to all of the items in the License Agreement, 100% of the time. For that matter, I've never met anyone in any martial art organization that followed those rules 100% of the time. And those rules have been around forever in various forms, so it's amusing that some people are getting bent now that they hear about them for the first time.

WKSA is a private organisation. They set their own rules and they don't answer to anyone. I have seen a few people kicked out of the organisation (not just a single school) over the years, but it is pretty rare and to my best recollection, never once were any of the License Agreement "rules" cited in the dismissal process.

And as for the interesting discussion about Korean language, I always rather liked the idea of learning the language alongside the technique. But in practicality -- I was taught by both native-born Koreans and non-Koreans -- sometimes the pronunciations from non-Koreans is... just... hilarious...

15. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Nice point..

it is also interesting that the rules are applied selectively

Then why? What was cited? ...Please give examples(protect identities if necessary). I am curious as to why someone would be thrown out if they were, for the most part, following the rules?

This is SO TRUE it does have some comic relief value if not much else.... :D

16. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

The stated reason inevitably began with the ever-so-popular "lack of respect" (which, conveniently, in these sort of kangaroo trials, always seems to flow in only one direction) but the real reasons boiled down to ego and money.

Tragic, actually.

On to a happier topic: I think back to a lecture given one time by Barry Harmon KJN on the topic of "won" and it still brings a smile, he was perfect in his mimicry of the various mispronounciations of "won" that he had heard over the years.

17. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

I want to add in defense of the WKSA:

Every organisation made up of people is going to experience some degree of internal strife. At the end of the day, conflicts between various personalities are not my concern or anyone else's -- despite the entertaining value of gossip -- because we cannot control the actions of others, and our concern should be our own training. Unless you're one of the very rare people who attain master level, or marry into (or otherwise gain insider access to) the core of the WKSA machinery, you won't even know that this stuff happens.

When I bring any of this stuff up -- and I am very guarded about disclosing how I have come to know what I know -- it's because as my screen name suggests, "I Believed". I am not in the Won anymore, but I Still Want To Believe; I criticise some of the more egregious inconsistencies in WKSA policy because I want others still in the organisation to think. It does not mean that I do not love my teachers. In fact, a very wise person once told me that our students become our family, and whether they wind up loving us or hating us, and whether we wind up loving them or hating them, they will still always be our family.

18. Silentmonk

Ok i quoted this bit of "I believed" because I have been trying to put that in words several times, and I couldn't think of a better way of putting it if I tried.Whatever I say that may look like the contrary on any thread,it doesn't mean I don't love the art. I wouldn't train or teach in it if i didn't. :)

19. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Sexual harassment.

20. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

are we thinking of the same person? are you from the UK?