KS family tree

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

2. VegasMichelle

I think KJN Duncan and KJN Gause were contemporaries under IHS when IHS first came to the US.

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

See above or better yet, here.

4. VegasMichelle

Where did you mention KJN Hespelt? Did I miss something?

5. VegasMichelle

Yeah, that website is confusing sometimes. I think the gentleman's name is Seyd M. Saidi.

But what's confusing is the gentleman from Venezuela. Is Rolando Garcia the same person as Rolando Valbuena? The NYC guys mention Master Valbuena but the WKSA website shows a Master Garcia...hmmmm.

But hey, atleast the Suh brothers put up new photos of themselves to keep themselves up-to-date! Snazzy!:eek:

6. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Hello VM thread #82 Master Ken Duncan was the first american student under GM IHS In Korea as was Master Harmon and Master Gene Gause was under Master Harmon in SC then Under GM IHS. What do you mean contemporaries? Sung Soo Suh id GM IHS son and was Trained by GM IHS

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

IDK the man's name, but could the confusion possibly come from the fact that in Latino culture (i.e. in countries from central and south america) there are TWO last names, the first one from the father and the second one from the mother? If this is the case, his name might be Rolando Garcia Valbeuna (or Rolando Valbuena Garcia).

Of course the smart thing to do would be to ask Onatop. :rolleyes:

8. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

That's not entirely unheard of in British culture either. The two names are usually hyphenated thus: Bennett-Coles, for example, and it's usually (but not always) the paternal name that comes before the maternal name.

I'm not sure what happens in successive generations though! ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I was looking at info on Kuk Sool Won in Germany, but I'm at a little disadvantage since I don't speak the language :(
    So far it looks like:

Pak In Shyuk moved to Germany in 1965 with other Korean immigrants who were in the mining industry. { At the time he was a 2nd dan in Kuk Sool Won Hapkido?} He left in 1967 and went to Canada because his work permit ran out.
    Before he left he had trained two students Karll-Heinz Kickuth and Young Park to 4th Dan.

Lee, Keun Tae arrived in 1977? and was at one time head of the German Kuksool Hapkido Federation but since that time has been involved in Haidong Gumdo. I think he claims an 9th dan in Kuk Sool.

Kwon Kea Hong arrived in Germany in 1979 but didn't reestablish connection with In Hyuk Suh till 1988.

Can anyone provide any insight or more info? :)

10. otherbrother

otherbrother Valued Member

I might be able to help. What do you need me to look for exactly?
    I speak some german, lived there for a while.

OB

11. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Thanks otherbrother,
    here is where I took the info for In Shyuk Pak
    http://www.hapkido-nrw.de/texte/persoenlichkeiten6/index.php

I'm also curious about Lee, Keun Tae. I've heard that he used to be the head of Kuk Sool in Germany for a while. Can you verify what year he came to Germany? Here is his english bio
    http://www.meisterkorn.com/meisterkorn_englisch/lee englisch.html
    see also
    http://www.sport-dr-lee.de
    and
    http://www.kuk-sool-won.de/pageID_8252637.html

Thanks.

12. otherbrother

ImaJayhawk

I checked out the sites
    give me a couple of days
    I'll do my best

OB

13. otherbrother

ImaJayhawk

I don’t think this one helps much when it comes to the “KS family tree” but I said I would help and it seems interesting.

Here is the first one; PAK IN SHYUK, “ the technique genius “ 1938 - 1995

He studied at Dong Kuk University in Korea, and visited numerous temples to learn and to train. Early on, he studied with Grandmaster Suh, In Hyuk, Kuk Sool Won Hapkido and was a Second Degree when he came to Germany. Pak became acquainted with the group of Master Kim, Sou Bong and trained with a German - Korean group in the town of Oberaden. Since Master Kim was with the Dan Han Hapkido school, it came quickly to tensions between the only in Germany residing Hapkido rank holders. When Kim left for the USA, Pak trained the group in Dinslaken. In 1967, Karl Heinz Kickuth tested for First Degree in Kuk Sool Won Hapkido. Pak also trained in Beckum and Dortmund. He also tested students and taught his students Kickuth and Park Yong all techniques of Kuk Sool Won Hapkido up to 4th Degree Black Belt. In 1968, Kickuth already received his 2nd Degree. The certificates in that time came from Korea, and were signed by Suh, In Hyuk. In 1968, Park lost his Visa, and left for Canada. Pak opened his first schools in Elliot Lake and Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. Some of his students are still active. The certificates for the Canadian students were also signed by Suh, In Hyuk. In his Seventies, he moved from Ontario to Toronto, he opened more schools and had countless students. He suddenly moved away without leaving an address. He ended his work on his new system Kong Shin Bup, the ideas for that he already had while he was still in Korea. It is a Yu Kwan Sool system, which is hard /soft, and had 270 Ki Points and 3000 techniques, also added historic Korean arts (Tae Kyun Soo and Bahk Do). There are over 3600 Kong Shin Bop Hapkido techniques, and about 270 defense techniques. Master Rudy Timmerman met with Pak, In Shyuk in the 60’s, was impressed by his Kuk Sool Hapkido school and stayed with him until Pak left. In 1985, after many years of looking for him, Timmerman found him in Edmonton, Alberta.
    Pak had changed his name to “James” Pak. Pak had several personal tragedies, and also had lost one eye. Pak was part of the Kuk Sool Won Hapkido with Grandmaster Suh, In Hyuk. With the rift in their partnership, Kuk Sool Won Hapkido split into the now known World Kuk Sool Association and with this, Pak taught his own system Kong Shin Bup. In 1984, he visited Kickuth in Germany to have him promote and endorse his system Kong Shin Bup. (It states that other than Kickuth, Master Bakalorz and Detlef Klos nobody actually new Pak then) He promoted Kickuth to 7th Degree, W. Barkolos and D. Clause to 6th Degree, Erica Feldmann and another female student to 5th degree, and promoted 16 others in Kong Shin Bup. In the following years, Grandmaster Pak concentrated on another system developed by him which he named Tae Kyuk Do. In order to concentrate on this, he gave the leadership of Kong Shin Bup to Master Timmerman, which he promoted to 8th degree. After Paks death, Timmerman became Grandmaster of that system. Pak died in 1995 of a heart attack never being able to promote his new system Tae Kyuk Do further.
    The pictures show #1 Grandmaster Pak sitting in the middle with a tie, standing 4th from left Kickuth and all the way to the right Detlef Klos (who wrote this article)
    It says that his legacy is still honored today since 80% of the techniques came from him. There are no more active students of his systems other than in this “NWHV Organization”

I’ll keep checking on the other sites but if it is all right with you give you names and connections only so that people don’t get ticked with me for taking up so much space.

OB

14. otherbrother

The next one is about the Haidong Gumdo Association, founded by GM - Kim Jeong Ho / Kingdom - Koguryo/Korea - 37 bc - 668 ad
    World Haidong Gumdo Federation President - Kim Jeon Ho
    European Haidong Gumdo Association Technical Director - Han Sung Hyun
    German Hidong Gumdo Alliance President - Dr. Lee Keun Tae

More in a couple of days.

OB

15. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Thanks otherbrother. :cool:

16. otherbrother

ImaJayhawk

Last one, it’s a little strange, it’s a “sports school for korean fighting arts”, teaching Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do & Kuk Sool Won. Not a single picture of Kuk Sa Nim, The trainer, an 8th degree is called “Grandmaster” F.Mellis. I cant find him on the HQ site under schools in Germany. Under Fotoalbum you can see several other “Grandmasters”. That’s about it. Nothing really that would help the family“tree”.

There is one German KSW school in Worms, Master Kea Hong Kwon a 7th degree. He has over 35 years of KSW under his belt, ha, and among others he was taught by Master Choi, Dea-Sik and the late Park, Jangh-Ho. He came to the 50th Anniversary with some of his students, really great group.
    He came to Germany in 1979 to study medicine and opened his school in 1988.

In the mid 90’s Kuk Sa Nim, Suh In Hyuk noticed Kwon and gave him the honorable duty to promote KSW further ???
    As an he didnt know about Kwon before that?

Anyway, if you want to I could write Master Kwon and ask him who and what he knows.

OB

17. shabafroozan

shabafroozan New Member

Hi,
    I am PKJN Farshid Shabafroozan, I thought to correct your comments.
    Kourosh Soroush, was my student until his 3rd degree black belt and he was not Darius Gaffari's direct student. Kuk Sool first was introduced to Iran by Darius Gaffari but he left the country after 2 or 3 years.
    He returned for seminars first after 6 years and then every 2 or 3 years until 2005 that he resigned from Kuk Sool Won. So most black belts in Iran were my direct students until 1998 that I moved to Canada and Kourosh Soroush is one of them. Despite that I moved to canada since 1998 still Most instructors in Iran who run a school were my direct students.

18. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Thanks PKJN Farshid for the information. Here is the most up-to-date list (I think)

In Joo Suh:
    - In Suk Suh
    - In Sun Seo
    Eung Ku Lee:
    - Jung Oh Lee
    Byung In Lee:
    - In Joo Suh
    Barry Harmon:
    - Yi Kuen Oh
    - Man Rok Oh
    Choon-Ok Harmon:
    - In Sun Seo
    Sung Jin Suh:
    - In Sun Seo
    - In Hyuk Suh
    Seung Ku Yea:
    - Eung Ku Lee?
    Kae Hong Kwon:
    - Dea Sik Choi
    - Jang Ho Park
    SungWoo Alex Suh:
    - In Hyuk Suh
    Yong Chul Song:
    - Jay Lee
    Philip Holmes:
    - Mok Yang Kim
    Richard Roper:
    - Mok Yang Kim
    John Ives:
    - Mok Yang Kim
    Normand LaRocque:
    - In Shyuk Pak
    Frank Garza:
    - Paul Garza
    Jerry Sallee:
    - Mok Yang Kim
    - Jay Lee
    - Marlin Sims
    Jung Oh Lee:
    - In Hyuk Suh

Jay Lee:
    - Long Kyu Park
    - Joong Song Park
    Paul Garza:
    - Yi Kuen Oh
    - Man Rok Oh
    Marlin Sims:
    - In Hyuk Suh
    - Joong Song Park
    Rudy Timmerman:
    - In Shyuk Pak
    Dickson Kunz:
    - Jay Lee
    Daniel Middleton:
    - Gene Gause
    - Soo Taek Lim
    Ed Sanchez:
    - Paul Garza
    Gary Evarts:
    - Barry Harmon
    Jack Harvey:
    - Paul Garza
    Ken Duncan:
    ?
    Sung Soo Suh:
    ?
    John Watson:
    - Mok Yang Kim
    Donald McCondach:
    - Mok Yang Kim?
    Tom Brewer:
    - Barry Harmon
    Steven Isaacson:
    - Mok Yang Kim
    - Larry White
    Hafez Adle:
    - Barry Harmon
    David Williams:
    - Philip Holmes
    Steve Whiting:
    - Philip Holmes
    Martin Ducker:
    - Philip Holmes
    Wayne Murray:
    - Jay Lee
    Bob Zefo:
    - Paul Garza
    Darius Ghaffari:
    - ?In Hyuk Suh?
    Frank D’Amato:
    - Barry Harmon?
    - Sung Jin Suh
    Jonathon Simonds:
    - Rudy Timmerman
    Larry White:
    - Yi Kuen Oh?
    - Man Rok Oh?
    - Mok Yang Kim
    Cheryl Cherowitz:
    - Jay Lee
    - Marlin Sims
    Gene Gause:
    - In Hyuk Suh
    Victor Quarles:
    - Barry Harmon
    Tim Sheehan:
    - Barry Harmon
    Daniel Jolly:
    - Larry White
    - In Joo Suh
    Joe Foster:
    - Barry and Choon Ok Harmon
    David Hespelt:
    - Barry Harmon
    Jeff Green:
    - Bob Zefo
    Seyd Seidi:
    - Sung Jin Suh?
    Tony Renya:
    - Kunsan, Korea, in 1982
    - Sung Jin Suh
    Terry Heaps:
    - Jay Lee
    Karl Stolt:
    - Jonathan Simonds
    - Rudy Timmerman
    Fritz Herrmann:
    - Barry Harmon
    Tim Seitz:
    - Paul Garza
    Farshid Shabafroozan:
    - Darius Ghaffari
    Yvon Senecal:
    - Normand LaRocque
    - Rudy Timmerman
    Alesia Harvey:
    - Jack Harvey

Kaori Nebgen:
    K. C. McLean:
    - Sung Jin Suh?
    Sultan Al Thani:
    - -
    Arby Hinojosa:
    - Byung In Lee
    Michael Nebgen:
    Rolando Garcia:
    - Eung Ku Lee
    - Seung Ku Yea?
    Kourosh Soroush:
    - Farshid Shabafroozan
    Jan Butler
    - Paul Garza

19. shabafroozan

shabafroozan New Member

Thanks for correction. your list is very helpful.

20. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

Wow!, There arn"t many that claim direct tutaledge from the GM hisself!
    When did the grand master stop teaching, ( other than semenars and such ) ?

To clarifie: I mean run classes on a regular schedual with regular students.