Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Pericles, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

i think your mate would be better off with something different to krav, its a great art and everything but its more common i beleive for stuntmen to be high kicking more movie based martial artists, so a style such as TKD,freestyle karate and wu shu would go down much better.

i dont krav is that quick to grade anyhoo, a couple of years of TKD would set him for his desired career, i mean if he is talented,maybe the belt grade wont matter, i mean if at green belt hes kicking,flipping and doing all the things movie watchers love and he can demonstrate this, then the company shouldnt mind.

id get him on TKD and/or wu shu.

there are much quicker RBSD systems in which he could get a grade if the grades all that matters, but im guessing theyll want skill demonstrated inw hich case its better to wait and do it the old fashioned way.

2. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

The problem is: to get on the British Stunt Register you need 6 disciplines at a high level. These can be from various fields (scuba diving, gymnastics, driving etc) and for fighting, a "high level" counts as brown belt AFAIK.
    i.e. you don't have to be a master, but you do have to know your stuff.

I have no idea why he got the idea Krav Maga might be an easy route (i think he misinterpreted it being quick to pick up basics of self defense with it being easy to grade to a high level), but as i said - i thought i'd ask.

personnally i'd love him to learn Kickboxing/TKD/Similar - then I can spar him!

oh, that reminds me (wrong thread but what the hey): I sparred full contact last week and survived! :)

3. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

Name of the krav maga orgainization in America? Help please.

4. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi there,

Tartovski - I'm afraid there are no longer coloured belts in krav maga. At least not in the International Krav Maga Federation, which is the (only?) mainstream krav maga federation that spans beyond Israel.

There are five beginners grades (Practitioner 1-5), followed by the intermediate grades (Graduate 1-5) and eventually the black belt grades (Expert 1-5). Beyond Expert 5 is Master grade; the only Master instructor I've met was the guy who taught the instructor to Israeli special forces! Unlike other martial arts, you can generally teach others once you reach G1 (i.e. before you reach black belt/Expert level).

If you train a few times per week, then you can expect to grade once every 6 months.

The instructors course lasts several weeks. If you have studied no krav maga, buy have a solid background in other arts, then you can take the instructors course. Your friend could try this. However, your friend would have to be confident that he had a chance of successfully passing the course.

Sadly, krav maga in America is a mess. This is because somebody took the Krav Maga name and turned it into a cardio-kickboxing brand. Proper krav maga goes under the name "Imi System" in America.

You could also look for Kapap, Hagana FIGHT and Commando Krav Maga, although I have no personal experience how good they are.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  5. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

www.kravmaga.com
    krav maga worldwide
    they have schools in the US, canada, South america, japan, israel and europe now.
    there is a rift between the israelis and the governing body they established in LA
    while KMWW did franchise schools - you have to have another BB AND pass a three week course to teach basic - G1 level courses....
    i'f say if your in NY call Rhon www.kravmagainc.com
    if your in miami rick blickstein -
    if your in toronto look into commando KM
    if your in the US anywhere else - KMWW is the place to start looking for school
    as long as you avoid the ATA cimbo schools.. you'll likely find decent instruction
    some areas like Las vegas, st. louis and denver have awesome schools

btw..... i now live in WI and althoug i am a certified instrutor (diploma with both darren and with eyal for those who know what that means) i do not teach KM at the moment

good luck..... and in imi's words
    walk in peace

6. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi again,

I'm not a KM instructor, but have trained "at the source" in Israel. My understanding was that KMWW was the organisation responsible for diluting krav maga ... However, this isn't based on my own experience. It's just what Americans (training in Israel with me) and the Israelis told me.

For what I know to be the real deal, based on my experience in Israel, check out these links:
    The official IKMF web site: www.kravmaga.co.il/
    In North America: www.imi-system.ca/links.html

Cheers

7. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

yep, your with eyal's branch.. and as i said theres some bad blood. not surprised you heard one bashing the other. as i said, i have a diploma from wingate (where yours will be/was issued as well). and btw, the "source" is not always a good thing in the case of KM. KM lost tin court in israel to trademark it's name there. and jerk-off can claim they are teaching Krav Maga there as the term was ruled "generic for contact combat" and not "unique"

in the US KMWW trademarked it successfully in the US and CA. this actually, is where the rift's root comes from in the states. when the other international instructors moved into areas KMWW had taechers with local territories.. conflict began.. in the beginning, before KM was a "common" term here in the US.... nobody cared to teach it.. now that there is money in it, well, instructors from abroad want to teach what they know... but to not want to pay KMWW for the natioanl ads, legal structure, etc.... they built here to protect themselves from suffering the defeat KM in israel did when they tried to trademark it.

if you go tot he boards on KMWW and search you'll find this topic beaten to death... if you go to talk with rhon (linked in my previous post) or to the IKMF leaders and probe for the crux of the matter - you'll find this is the case

btw - the "official" IKMF international site is www.krav-maga.com
    same crew

cheers

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. Gerry290

Gerry290 New Member

Hi
    After many years in Kickboxing, and some Trad MAs.

About 4 years ago I took up Krav Maga which was by a guy who was instructor under IKMF... though he changed the alot as to what Krav Maga is as per IKMF.

After a few years in I went to israel and did intensive 1 month istructors course in Israeli Krav Maga under Israeli Krav Maga Assoc.

I taught Krav Maga in ireland myself for a while.

Then I moved to Thailand and do Muay Thai, I am here obout 18 months.

recently I re qualified as an Instructor under Tactical Krav Maga.

This is a form of Krav Maga developed by an guy in Israel called Itay Gil
    who was in the Yammam for many years and then trained the Yammam too.
    his web siite is www.protect-usa.com

I have not met Itay yet, and hope to soon.

However I did my Instructor under Carl Halley who is International Training Manager in Tactical Krav Maga from Australia for details on Tactical KM see
    www.tacticalkravmaga.com.au

Now getting down to it, so far with experience of 2 other "styles" of Krav Maga, and also being a kickboxer, Muay Thai, and having been in a few street situations in my life, I find for my own personal needs, Tactical Krav Maga to be very functional.

In fact it is a very simple system, and has very little technique, it is taught was was trained to the Yammam.

It sort of reminds me of Paul Vunaks RATT system in JKD. Basically pre emptive punch the head off the attacker before he gets a chance to get you.
    Ok there is a bit more to it that that.

Tactical Krav Maga also takes the view, that if you cannot learn and do a technique after 3 attempts to learn it, then you probably cannot use it, or remember it, if your have to do it for real.

Its like the Cavalier wrist lock in some KM schools, with over 20 years martail arts experience, I could never get a proper Cavailer on... for what ever reason... maybe its just the way God made my body! LOL! :) so chances of me doing it under real pressure are zero!

So thats my take on KM...also Tactical Krav Maga we pressure test it, full contact drills while padded up, to get the action as real as possible.
    That sort of training I like.

I july I will be starting to teach Tactical Krav Maga Self Defence in Thailand.