Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Epitome, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Epitome

Epitome Banned Banned

How many people here do krav?

I am pretty new at it but i wondered what are your thoughts on it.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have seen some good, some bad and some terrible - it seems to be standard RBSD dressed up in different clothes

3. APC

APC Valued Member

hi there, been training with ikmf for about 2yrs. Passed P3 last week. My only gripe is that I don't get to train every night. I blame that on my wife.

4. OmegaPwnsAlpha

OmegaPwnsAlpha New Member

I recently started doing Krav Maga (KMG) and here are my thoughts: Everything is allowed when it comes down the streets, competition sports can't save your ass (so effectively) as Krav(or other self defense based sports), cause there are rules bound. It's easy and efficient and also a good fighting sport for beginners I guess. Well you can defend yourself in a shorter time span than someone doing a more advanced, technical fighting sport. It's very realistic cause you re-enact a scene and also make the habit after the exercise to run away or run to the exit or throw away the weapon so you won't get behind bars yourself, or check your body while you are running if you are hit by the knife but don't feel anything because of the adrenaline. It's those little details that can make a difference. In only 2 months time I saw chokes, knifes, sticks, and pistol techniques (oh yeah 360 defense ofcourse and . I'm very happy with my club and trainer though it's quite costly for 2 evenings a week.

5. Hannibal

"We train for the str33tz not 4 sp0rtz" - *yawn* Same tired old nonsense trotted out by the RBSD crowd

Krav is nothing different than any other number of those type of systems out there.

6. Wastelander

Wastelander Valued Member

This is the same thing I have seen--some good, some bad, and some that is obviously taught by people who learned their "Krav Maga" from videos on the internet.

I think that as long as you train it with a reputable instructor, the techniques are simple and effective, and you get the opportunity to spar (or at least work full power, full speed techniques against a resisting opponent) on a fairly regular basis then you should be fine. The biggest problems I see are when they only train against compliant partners and so when someone resists or hits them they don't know what to do and freeze up, thereby nullifying all of their training.

7. Hannibal

Krav is a training method IMO - it has no techniques of it's own per se so can hardly be a style. That is why i just class it as RBSD

8. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

However, shouting 'KRAV MAGA!' like a kiai after every technique does sound awesome. I know, because I do it sometimes. At Tai Chi.

9. Hannibal

Try "FUS RO DAH!" next time - I will love you forever if you do

10. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

I love it. I don't think it is the "worlds greatest martial art" or the "ultimate street defence system" or even anything particulalry new. It's just nice and simple and it has just clicked with me for some reason. Wish I'd found it years ago.

11. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

When the student is ready, the teacher appears...

:bow1:

/gongclash

12. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

I keep hearing RBSD what is RBSD?

13. Hannibal

Reality Based Self Defence

You can also call it "LARP'ing in Camo" but that would be cruel.....

14. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

You both had me in stitches for a minute there!

Reality Based Self Defense :)

15. Pkhamidar2com

So why is RBSD bad?

Would DART be a form or RBSD as they have reality scenarios and i heard DART is really good from people on this forum?

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Reality Based Self Defence.
    It's what JWT does with his DART group.
    You role play certain scenarios and confrontation (so yeah its a type of LARP) and react to them.
    E.G. so guy hassling you when you're taking a leak (except the guy shows real aggression and intention to hurt you, but you're wearing armour so there's less damage).

17. Pkhamidar2com

What does LARP mean?

so many acronyms :'( but ill learn them one day :D

Does JWT stand for anything aswell? Or is that just his username, or his initials?

18. Hannibal

Live Action Role Playing

19. Pkhamidar2com

Ah i see thanks :) Isnt that that stuff people do when they wear costumes and stuff? Like those guys who do that wizard stuff and knight thingy?

saw it on role models movie :p

20. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

There's good RBSD (pragmatic strategies for keeping yourself safe and responding to the adrenaline and stress of actual combat with realistic techniques delivered within the guidelines set down by local laws) and there's bad RBSD (YOU TOO CAN BE A DEADLY COMMANDO AND DEFEND AGAINST ALL THE GUN ATTACKS JUST LIKE A DEADLY COMMANDO AND DID I MENTION WE'LL MAKE YOU JUST LIKE A DEADLY COMMANDO?!).