Krav Maga with a detached retina?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by shadowzoid, Sep 2, 2010.

1. shadowzoid

shadowzoid New Member

I've had one detached retina before (i come from a family history of thin retinas) and I was wondering if I should do Krav Maga? I only want to learn self-defense (since I basically can't even make one punch), and was wondering what to take. The other arts take too long, and doesn't have as much focus on self-defense. MMA and those things are too concentrated on competition, and definitly too hard core. But how about Krav Maga? Should I take it (no competition, just self-defense)? If not, what would you recommend for self-defense?

fyi, my cousin has the same problem as me, and he is a karate instructor, so idk

2. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Is it just the getting-punched bit that shouldn't be done or can generally getting thrown/falling down/wrestling cause a detachment?
    Because you can get headgear which protects your whole face which could enable you to go 100% with others.

Other options are to start a grappling art, like Judo, BJJ or wrestling.

(Do Judo if you can it's pretty much the best)

3. shadowzoid

shadowzoid New Member

its mostly just getting punched in the face, or large jerking motions. The doctor wasnt very clear on the jerking motion. I mean, I can ride intense rollercoasters, and stuff like that. What initially started it was me getting rammed in the eye playing rugby in the 5th grade

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Ask your doctor. If he OKs it, sit down with the instructor and let him know of the situation beforehand.