Krav Maga/TMAs (with multiple attackers)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by cluebird, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

I'm wondering what peoples' opinions are here on MAP about the effectiveness of TMA's and -hold you breath, it's not MMA!- Krav Maga. I realize that Krav is effectively a mixture of different traditional styles.

What I'm wondering is do you think a person well-trained in multiple martial arts that form the basis for Krav Maga (boxing, muay thai, karate, judo, and jiu-jitsu), would be successful against a person trained heavily in Krav?

I'm thinking about this from a perspective that the person trained in multiple styles may have a better understanding of the mechanics and roots of the techniques than the Krav person.

Also, in regards to multiple attackers, do you think training in an art addressing multiple attackers is even worth it? Or do you think when it comes down to 3 on 1 or more, it's almost impossible for training to help you out, unless you can isolate each guy at a time.

Any insight on this would be great.

2. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Is the question (lets call it 2.5 years of training for arguements sake?)
    #1 = 2.5 years Krav Maga training
    vs
    #2 = 6 months each of boxing, muay thai, karate, judo, and jiu-jitsu

I'd give it to the Krav maga fighter all other things being equal, simply because 6 months is about long enough to get simple enough to be bad at mixing them lol.

3. cluebird

What about if the mixed guy had been training muay thai and judo for 2.5 years, and the krav guy had been training the same amount of time?

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You don't even have to use any timescale. It depends on each and every individual.

5. cluebird

I know, I know. It's the martial artist not the art. But I do think that all arts weren't "born equally".

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Under what circumstances would these two hypothetical people be fighting in?

7. Moi

Naked in a paddling pool full of spaghetti hoops. No rulz :woo:

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

In that case I'm going to assume they're also hot women, I can give it more thought if they're hot women.

9. Moi

Look like they're sweating to me :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

oooo, thats the stuff! :D

Getting serious for a minute and in answer to the question I'd say that the krav maga lady would win by 5 spanks, a nipple cripple and a wedgie.

11. Moi

I'm just wondering how tall you'd have to be to give her a wedgie that hurt :D

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

..............now thats just plain wrong :ban: :D

13. Daniel84

Daniel84 Valued Member

i've never been to a krav class but i went to keysi for a while and one thing that always struck me is that a lot of what you are doing is almost by necessity against a compliant partner. do these classes typically teach sparring or other methods to add aliveness to their training. i just remember thinking while we were going through a lot of techniques that against much more advanced people they could perform the actual technique perfectly but i was just thinking, i could smack you in the mouth right now. simply because their reactions were all off.

Don't get me wrong, i know sd is much different to sport but i really do think that to be really effective they need to include an element of sparring.

14. cluebird

As I can see, these are very deep and insightful answers.

15. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

You're answer is simple: Krav Maga is designed to beat knives, use guns and other nasty techs. Muay Thai and Judo aren't, but in the sporting enviroment are obviously superior. If you train 2 arts in the same time someone trains one, are you training each half the amount? or are you training 2 times as much?
    Give the Krav Maga an M16 and he will win
    Give the Krav Maga a Knife and he will win
    Give the Krav Maga a pistol and he will win
    Put them in an MMA fight, the MT/Judoka will win.
    Put them in a Bar Fight and my personal bet would be on the KM just for it's flagrant training in weapon methods and general training methodology (based on having watching the Human Weapon series up to Epi 7)

16. Moi

The spaghetti hoops pool was very deep, not very insightful though :rolleyes:

17. cluebird

Heh.

18. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Having done a year of KM, a year of boxing and 2 years of BJJ I would say the above is true especially if the years of KM included at least one fight class per week which included ground fighting along with the stand up sparring.

19. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

I haven't done Krav Maga specifically, but in my time in law enforcement I did have the opportunity to train in a similar fashion. This is just my take on it, but it's not so much what style you do, it's how you train.

If you are training to be an MMA fighter, then you train for ring combat. You train techniques that will give you a win in the ring. That's not to say that an MMA fighter can't defend themselves in a bar...but against someone who has trained to fight on the street, without ring rules, he may have a problem.

If you train for combat, then you will be good in combat, and a bar is more a combat situation. If you train for combat, and step in the ring, then you have to realize that the combat trained guy is going to lose from DQ or because he has to fight himself from calling on his combat techniques which waists those milliseconds that matter.

I know this one, because I've been there. Not in MMA, but in TKD. I trained for 10 years to defend myself on the street against criminals, and you step into the ring where low blows, throat chops, foot sweeps, and so on are against the rules, and it becomes an issue for a while to re-adjust.

Find what you want to train for, and train hard for it. You will be good. Just remember there is always someone better out there.

Brian

20. Moi

Where do you train to fight on the street? You're either street or you're not. Training doesn't come into it, society & upbringing maybe, proberly experience - but training?