Kosho looks

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Korpy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I've heard someone say when they saw Kosho Ryu that it looked like TKD with black gi's. From what I seen it looks like Aikido with black gi's. What gives?

2. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

No. It looks like neither. Go look around some more.

3. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Agreed with Nuck.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well, I believe probably no one who does not study really knows what it is all about. They are trying it find out without actually learning it.

I have posted many times what it is and many want to keep asking after it has been mentioned a lot.
    Some of what you see is other katas that were incorperated into it.

But here is a statement again of what it is:

http://www.collectivesociety.com/skski/KSR.html

Gary

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    I thought I'd add this thought.

Many are asked not to comment on the art of Kosho for there really are not to many that are truly qualified to do so. The more wrong things mentioned, the more confusing it is.

As many know or don't know James Mitose gave Bruce Juchnik the ability to have his way with what he wanted to do. The core in what was in the books of James Mitose is taught, but there are other items that have been brought into the Kai by Hanshi, there is similarity and that is the key.

So if you see a move that looks to be what you think is another art form it is because all of the art forms are similar in nature. Say for example the attacker is coming at you with a #1 strike (overhand right punch) there are things you can do.

One-is to stop the strike before it gets there, (which has many applications) two-move yourself out of the way and have no contact, three-not be there in the first place :D And others that I could go into, but really no point.

If you are truly looking for information, there are several gatherings that are put on for all to attend and see what is taught.
    Many have been invited, responses to the invite are truly comical. And then still asking questions :confused:

If you need to ask a legitimate question, I'll answer it with an off the top of my head, or a link. Best I can do for now. By the way the "Gathering will be in Reno this year in October again.

http://www.collectivesociety.com/07poster.pdf

Hanshi asks the same of his students, as James Mitose asked of him, include the core of the material, and you can add some fluff if you want. But the core is worth "gold and silver" not to be given away.

It is in the book of 5 rings as to how Musashi taught his students also (last days).

Gary

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well here's a Kosho Ryu Kajukenbo seminar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWgQF1xH9JA"]Advanced Kajukenbo Self-Defense System (A.K.S.D.S.) KAJUKENBO KOSHO RYU - YouTube[/ame]

I'm sorry, but if that's what is being taught, look forward to be getting hit alot.

7. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

That is Nate Ortega's program - what he calls Advanced Kajukenbo. I don't think that is representative of the majority of Kosho schools. The Kosho Ryu part of his school name may be more of an identifier to tie in his roots. Not exactly sure.

8. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I thought that any time you didn't really know something, you'd just post a link to wikkipedia.

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Very slow motion and showing the movement of controling the head and spine.
    The core of the body is the key.

I'll say this, if you have the head the body follows, (a horse) similar in humans.
    Look for similarity in all things it is something I have given the link to.
    But you have to know what to look for.

The term advanced Kajukenbo would be appropriate in some circles. Not in others.

As far as getting hit, well you can not make an omlet, without breaking eggs.

If a prize fighter is aways defensive, the fight will not be there. Same in this scenario, if you fail to commit there is no fight. If commitment is there the fight will happen.

The key is using the folds of the body correctly to accomplish the act. A term we use is to "triangulate the body". Key word being triangle. Centerline is another term, it is used in many locations. Again similarity.

Is that John Sepulveda in the mirror? Sure looks like him. Body movements are a give away also. Do You know nuck?

Gary

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I know, but do you know? LOL... Why not come on up to Elk Grove like others have mentioned? Pat and I can show you all you want to know ;) It would be fun. :D

Gary

11. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Why so you could back out like you did with Nuck? I'm gonna waste my gas for that?

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Now that is not a true statement Dan.

We would train and play, have lunch on me, heck I could even show you around town LOL...Maybe nuck would like to join in? Pat has asked me to deliver the invitation numerous times. Especially to Nuck.

Gary

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Thanks Gary, but it's a little far to drive for lunch and to play in the air with no contact. (I know how you hate contact) You say you enjoyed it when you were with the LAPD. Was it because then you could do it with a badge on?

Anyways, if you're ever down this way, let me know.

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ok, hopefully I'll be able to make it this summer.

I can understand your ability not to understand the fact that at 65 we seem to not heal as quick and the time lost is not worth it regarding how hard it is to get back into shape after injury.

The contact was in a period of time when I was your age and younger, enjoyed it also. Yes, I believe when you are in a profession that is altercation oriented you need to spar.

I just finished over at Pats, been doing all the good stuff with the bags, sticks, and kata of a sort. I run around and jump and carry on. Me, myself and I.

Gary