Koryu in Farnborough / Aldershot (South UK)

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by Kobudo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

I'm going to be moving to this area sometime over the summer - does anyone know of any Koryu dojo in this area.

I'm aware of some X-Kan or spin off dojo, but I have trained in the Genbukan previously, and am really looking for a dojo that belongs to a particular school, rather than a mixture...

I've found a Daito Ryu class nearby on line, but can't see anything else around.

TIA

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

3. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Thanks Infesticon, is Farnham close by?

Is this like Takagi Yoshin Ryu? I noticed Takamatsu and Hatsumi on the lineage chart?

Didnt you used to train at a Genbukan dojo?

4. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think Farnham is close. Depends on how much travel you can be bothered with.

Moto-Ha Yoshin ryu is an off shoot of Hontai Yoshin Ryu Takagi ryu. I think there is a lineage chart on the website. The red line is Yasumoto Sensei's, he received Menkyo Kaiden from Minaki Sensei.

This club is the same club I used to train at but my instructor decided to join Moto-Ha.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

6. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Thanks Infesticon #1 - it looks good, if everything goes to plan I 'll probably see you in the near future!

7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

As far as I know this event is yearly and organised by Lee and Paul Master's. They use the Shin Gi Tai facility because it's well equipped.

But I can't really comment, I've never attended.

8. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Thanks Prizewriter - I'll look into this

Added

I've managed to find where the study group is for Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, but it looks like this is on the side of training in Mizu Ryu, a modern ryu, and Combat Ju Jitsu, so I don't think it's really what I'm looking for - I'm more looking to focus on a specific Koryu under a Sensei, rather than study group.

A little put off by a modern Shihan who's created their own Ryu...

Thanks for the pointer though - Tenjin Shinyo Ryu does look interesting. but looks like Southend for an actual Dojo which is miles away

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Farnham isn't far from Aldershot/Farnborough. I used to live there on the Sandy Hill Estate back in the 80's. Originally from Aldershot myself.

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

What are you after (Kenjutsu, Bojutsu, Jujutsu etc.)?

How far are you prepared to travel?

The group I train with meet weekly in Camberley and/or London.

If you are interested, you will need to make contact with the group first so suitability can be assessed.

https://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/

Gary

11. Namtar

Namtar New Member

Hi Kobudo,

as Infesticon mentioned the one in Farnham (literally a couple of miles from Aldershot) is now studying a Koryu Jujutsu style branched of from the mainline Hontai Yoshin Ryu branch.

The Sensei was previously associated with the Kokusai Jujutsu Renmei (the Jujutsu arm of Genbukan) but has recently moved across to Moto Ha Yoshin Ryu.

We still do some Kenjutsu training as well but the MHYR Jujutsu is the main focus now. Other than the others mentioned here i am not aware of any others in the area.

12. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Thanks Gary Wado - looks interesting, what night do you train in Camberley?

Namtar - do you train at the Farnham dojo too? What Kenjutsu style is it you practice?

13. Namtar

Namtar New Member

Hi Kobudo,

I do train there but have to say i'm not 100% sure of the kenjutsu style we do. We're primarily JuJutsu and recently have been focussed entirely on the MHYR style as we've recently moved over to that.

As I said though earlier, the Sensei has a background in Genbukan JuJutsu (KJJR) so the Ken style is probably from that.

14. Guy Preston

Guy Preston Valued Member

Hi Kobudo,

I was made aware of this thread by one of my students.

I teach at the Farnham Dojo - it's now known as Eikoku Nanbu Yoshinkan Shibu Dojo (English Southern Region Yoshinkan Branch Dojo) - but I can't change my name on here until i've done 50 posts.... which will take a while as I don't really post on forums very often.

We practice Moto-Ha Yoshin Ryu, under Yasumoto Akiyoshi Soke. This is a Menkyo Kaiden branch of the Hontai Yoshin Ryu / Takagi Ryu lineage going back to the 1600's.

The sword we practiced was Genbukan style, but we're mainly focusing on Jujutsu and Hanbo now, then onto Kodachi, Ken and Chobo in the future.

I was previosuly in KJJR, but moved away a few years back - Moto-Ha Yoshin Ryu is like nothing I've ever done previously, and Yasumoto Soke is fantastic!!

Please feel free to come and try a class anytime, and email/call me if you have any other questions regarding our classes, as I may not see responses posted on here.

Our website also has relevant information www.motohayoshinryu.webs.com

I hope to see you training soon!!

Thanks

Guy

15. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Thanks Guy, I will email you

16. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Camberley is usually Sunday Morning 10.00am to 1.00pm

17. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Anyone have any info on this Ryu? They're actually in Farnborough...

http://www.waregachijujitsukai.co.uk/

The organisation is founded by a guy called Mike Johnson, they do Go No Sen Ryu, it looks like he had training in Daito Ryu from his write up, and this is a spin off from that - but no other info, anyone familiar with him?

It's Koryu I'm really looking for, but if this has links to Daito Ryu and it's right on my doorstep, I may go try a class, it's on different days to the other classes I've been looking at

18. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Juko-ryu ju jitsu is the other part of his background. That style reads like a who's who of dodgy JJ guys, including Robert Clarke and Rod Sacharnoski... read more about it here. Eugene did a ton of research and was pretty active on E-Budo for a time about JJ in Britain:

http://eugenesbigadventure.blogspot.co.uk/p/origins-of-british-jujitsu.html

Daito Ryu, like Aikido, is an art based on concepts and principles, not techniques per se. If someone has "added" to DR, they would need to do so in a way that agrees with the physical principals that hold the art together, otherwise they are doing something else.

Never trained there but I'd be cautious based on the Juko Ryu connection (which is a mix of Judo, Karate, and other bits and bobs with no real rhyme or reason behind it), as Juko Ryu is in no way shape or form closely related to Koryu.

19. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

20. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

If it's Koryu you are after - the spelling of "Jujitsu" should have been a red flag from the get go.