Korean swords

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JTMS, Sep 21, 2011.

1. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I am looking for an inexpensive source for Jung Gum purchase. I have been bringing swords back from Korea during my yearly visit for some time now. This process to say the least, has been inconvenient. I would like to find a US based source to buy affordable practice Korean style straight swords for my students. Any tips?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hi, Moosulmaster.

IDK if they are equipped to do mass production or not, but I have only heard good things about the quality these guys put into their weaponry; Kuk Sool Pasadena (BTW, I noticed that they are KSGA members like yourself).

A quick look at their website tells me they no longer have the link to the fact that they do custom weaponry, but I'm pretty sure they haven't abandoned this endeavor. [edit: the info says the contact is Lary Franklin, but his son Jason now conducts all the D2D operations, FYI]

I happened to have saved a few pictures of their samplings, and have attached a collage below for your perusal. :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I'm not sure what we're talking about, but there seems to be a lot of threads on wanting to locate Korean swords, though I'm not sure I agree with what folks in KUK SUL call a "Korean Sword". Seems that there was quite a flurry about this with folks in the NKMAA and I think Master Kevin (Janisse) had a line on some domestic sources.

Not to sound sarcastic or anything, but I tend to use traditional weapons as I need to feel the balance of an authentic piece. However, based on the architecture of what I have seen KS people use, and how they use it, I'm thinking that there may be two options that a lot of people don't usually consider.
    a.) Its possible to buy an inexpensive Japanese sword which often have little SORI (IE curve to the blade). Removing the guard or replacing it with a simple brass spacer ground to the right size might help.
    b.) The other thing....and I mean this seriously is to simply fabricate your own piece. High carbon is available at HOME DEPOT in adequate lengthes. A simple flat grind on one edge and shape the point. The handle can be something scavaged, or something constructed. Why make this second suggestion? Well, most people lose interest after the novelty wears off. Then too most people are not going to be doing any validation cutting.
    c.) Oh.... I just thought of a third option. The Aikido people use an item that does not have an edge or standard fittings and these are pretty easily found here in the States at MA shops. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

4. MACA

MACA Valued Member

5. Bruce W Sims

Thanks, MACA..... your suggestion gave me another idea. There are quite a few folks who offer bare blades not unlike the ones seen on the KRIS location under "Japanese Blades". I am also thinking that a number of these inexpensive straight-bladed "NINJA" swords could easily be modified to approximate the KS architecture, though, again, I mention this only because I'm thinking that this discussion is about keeping with the KS idea of a Korean sword, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

7. klaasb

klaasb ....

Bringing swords from Korea might prove to be difficult. Asking them to ship the sword to your home address is easy.
    I have buying swords from Sehyun Kumdo for years without any problems. Swords get shipped in a nice box, bubble wrapped etc etc. In the last few years their collection of traditional Korean swords has grown.
    http://www.sehyun-kumdo.com/

High quality for a good price.

8. klaasb

klaasb ....

Bringing swords from Korea might prove to be difficult. Asking them to ship the sword to your home address is easy.
    I have buying swords from Sehyun Kumdo for years without any problems. Swords get shipped in a nice box, bubble wrapped etc etc. In the last few years their collection of traditional Korean swords has grown.
    http://www.sehyun-kumdo.com/

High quality for a good price.

9. Bruce W Sims

I agree that SEHYUN produces wonderful items. What I have noticed over the years is that they are pretty-much stuck on the SSANGSOODO after the architecture of Japanese KATANA-s. Nothing wrong with that for the KUMDO crowd or even for some GUEM BEOP practitioners. The problem comes in where people want to use one of the other architectures of Korean sword such as the TO or GUEM or this modern piece that the KS folks have adopted. Can SEHYUN help ouyt in these areas? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Do you want aluminum swords or real swords without an edge?

11. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

BLMAS

Here are some photos of Korean swords that are made of very high quality materials...and can be made both sharp or dull for practice. Hand made, hand forged, hand assembled...very good swords! But, they are real...not fake aluminum...so they have proper balance and feel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  12. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Assuming he still makes them, I plan on buying mine from KJN Ian Cameron who makes them himself to size.

13. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

on the linked-in kma group i lurk on, i noticed a recent debate on chinese measurement of the ssang su do. you have to figure they are grossly over estimating its size. the same page says that they can jump ten feet in a single bound. at an average height of 5' something and in sandals, i don't think so.

how is the modern kuk sul blade sooooo radically different from the old school blades. a straight edge = jedok geom
    slight curve = ssang su do

14. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

I remember, years ago my instructor had his blade created by some KSW folks who, at the time, were living in North Dakota if I recall. It was an excellent blade.

Sadly, I don't recall the name, and my instructor has vanished from the Martial Arts world entirely.

15. klaasb

klaasb ....

I think that Sehyun's biggest group of customers come from kumdo practitioners (daehan kumdo) but in my experience they can make just about anything you want. When you tell them exactly what you want, they can make it for you.

16. klaasb

klaasb ....

17. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Random Thought: Though these are NOT Korean swords they are straight bladed ones and if one is looking for a cheap demo sword that models "close enough" to the Korean sword, you can always by the Demo swords from AWMA/Century/Tiger Claw. They are affordable, put together well enough to use for training, and if re-wrapped and had a new tassel hanging off it one might not be able to tell the difference....from far away. LOL

18. klaasb

klaasb ....

Sehyun Kumdo has stopped making steel and aluminum swords :(

19. Bruce W Sims

Actually, I'm rather sorry to hear that, Klaas. As you know I am not a huge fan of the current pre-occupation with two-handed sabres, but I always thought that SEYHUN turned-out excellent products.

I understand that there are obscure smiths in Korea who produce occassional pieces in an effort to preserve and promote Korean sword work. Seems that these are always getting eclipsed by the more high-profile groups like HDGD.

BTW: I notice that Great River still has some naked blades that might be worthy of remounting. Of course, this is a pretty rarified purchase and not everybody is going to want to foot the bill. I purchased a Korean blade and had it remounted in the fashion of a QING Dyn Imperial carry. The dignity comes from the blade and not how its dressed, and I could handle the idea of some "garage monkey" taking it and using it to cut plastic bottles.

Oh well.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  20. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

just got some new ones at hq:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]