Korean Question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Sackett, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Hello! One of the green belt kids in this evening's class asked what "Saju" in Saju Jirugi means, since it isn't the 4 we use when counting in Korean. I googled it, but couldn't come up with anything satisfactory.

Does anyone have a literal translation of "Saju Jirugi"?

Thanks.

2. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Hello,

It does indeed mean '4 Direction'. The 'sa' is 4 in Sino-Korean (based on Chinese) and I believe 'ju' means direction.

Sino-Korean
    1 = il
    2 = i
    3 = sam
    4 = sa
    5 = o
    6 = yuk
    7 = ch'il
    8 = p'al
    9 = ku
    10 = ship

All korean systems I've experienced including TKD seem to always use sino-korean when naming something ie set sparring, rank, hyung, exercises, etc.

Hope that helps. :)

Rob

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

Hey Rob Sir,

Sorry but what does Sino-korean mean?

Angie

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's the part of the Korean language that makes use of Chinese vocabulary Angie.

Have a look here for some more information.

Mitch

5. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

As Mitch says it literally means Chinese-Korean (Sino is used for Chinese in the same sort of way that Anglo is used to mean English ie “Anglo Sino relations” would mean the relationship between England and China).

Korean is heavily influence by Chinese and until relatively recently (15th Century AD) Chinese was the standard written language (FYI the Korean alphabet ‘Hangul’ was introduced by King Se-Jong, there is a 4th Dan pattern named after him). Today the vast majority of writing is done in ‘Hangul’, ‘Hanja’ (the Korean name for the Chinese Alphabet –confused yet?) is generally used only in academic works, in a similar way to how Latin is used in this country.

Having said that the Sino-Korean numbers are still in common use, the reason for this is the Native Korean system of counting only goes up to 99 so Sino-Korean is used for higher numbers.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Rob

Disclaimer: I am no expert on this and I'm sure someone will correct any mistakes, this is just stuff I've picked up over the years.

6. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

Rob T. I concur. Heck, i'm korean and i get confused sometimes, lol. 4 direction straight punch.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  7. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Thanks, all. Just the information I was looking for. I knew I could count on MAP!

8. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

Thanks For that sir!

Yes very much so, thank you although i now have another question (is it so wrong that i find all this facinating?!)

So on the back of a TAGB licence is that hangul or hanja?

9. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

I'm afraid it is very wrong to find this fascinating! If you carry on like this you’ll find your head full of completely useless stuff, there will be no room left for stuff that might actually be handy and you’ll find yourself generally confused and feeling very lost.

I really shouldn’t encourage you, it would be wrong – luckily I don’t seem to pay much attention to that stuff.

So as you’ve asked it’s Hangul on the back of the TAGB licence, here’s the two (both written by Gen Choi himself):

[​IMG]

Rob

10. Mitch

There are lots of resources out there, but if you fancy having a go at writing it yourself here's a simple guide.

Mitch

11. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

Ahhh, now see that would explain a lot of things!!!

So then Rob sir,

double punch - Doo jurigi

Is the 'Doo' bit Proper Korean or Chinese korean? (i'm obviously assuming here that you know EVERYTHING! LOL)

12. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

This is well cool :)

(I really am so sad! LOL)

13. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

you would think that they would use 'i' 이 - not 'dul' 둘 in this scenario.

14. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Which scenario, DaeHanL?

And, Angie, it may be sad, but at least you're not alone! You should have seen me and JD on my blackberry last night during the kids class trying to sort this out. Master T had to come fetch us to get back to teaching!

15. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

Erm......... What's a blackberry? I'm currently having visions of you an JD balancing on a very small piece of fruit?!? :confused:

16. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Just the Rob bit is great, don't need the sir (unless the queen comes to her senses and gives me a well deserved knighthood of course).

As I go through life I'm discovering how little I do know, let alone everything.

I have been taught both 'Doo jirugi' and 'Ibo jirugi' as double punch. Doo is based on Native Korean, ibo is Chinese(Sino)-Korean. Either is correct but as DaeHanL says you would have thought they would have based it on the Sino-Korean 'i' in the naming.

Rob.

17. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

That would be way fun! :happy: And I'm glad to see I am not the most technologically challenged person on the forum! I may not have a TV, but I do know that a blackberry is a portable internet enabled device. Basically a business person's I-phone. (Shoot, I'm a tkd theory geek, excel geek and have now revealed myself as a business person geek. :eek:)

We were trying to Google "Saju" most unsucessfully.

18. Mitch

A mobile device for accessing Internet and email.

Mitch

19. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

I hate to say it but if Anth is planning a "saddest thread on MAP" award we gotta be in the running.

Any Korean theory, history, and stuff is ok if you're interested - just don't let it take any time away from kicking and punching stuff. If you get the balance wrong (as I have in the past) you become a 'keyboard warrior' (new version of a 'paper tiger').

Rob

20. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

Wow I bin waiting ages to be able to say this friends quote to someone........

Joey: You don't have a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?

HAHAHA (It really is the little things in life............) :)

Someone should suggest that!

Athough on a serious note, i've learned something today (about tkd AND technology, thanks sackett) so i'm real pleased :)

And that's good advice too Rob sir (sorry i can't help the sir bit, i will try though, i have missed a capital letter off :cool:).

Thanks guys (and gals)