Korean Martial Arts SUPPLIES / WEAPONS

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

that was one intresting article.
    its ashame its not like that nowadays. though, i suppose todays students are relieved that it isn't! lol

2. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Right now I'm working with a few Mapper's here who are need of good quality uniforms that don't cost an arm and a leg...

I am working with a middleman supplier right now on a few items...one is uniforms. The prices are right (and cheaper than others) but the quality is great.

I also have a nack for obtaining some things that are a little more difficult to find for "our" system of Kuk Sool.

For example:

Instructor Uniforms - Student Uniforms - Tassle Dobaks (Long Gold Fringe) Uniforms.

Korean Fans in small medium and large sizes and with either red feathers or white...or with black bamboo or natural.

practice Kagum (Aluminum Swords) - standard and inexpensive...
    for custom I would visit Kuk Sool of Pasadena.

Anything you are interested in...don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. If I can't get, I sure I can point you in the right direction.

3. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Found this while browsing Master Sims facebook photo section dedicated to Jay Lee...

[​IMG]

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

So which of the two koreans in that picture is Jay Lee? Is he the one facing the camera who's just visible over the white guy's shoulder, or is he the one with his back to the camera who's doing a technique to that white guy?

EDIT:

As for pictures depicting the animal totem uniforms, here are two pertinent shots from that magazine article which ImaJayhawk provided a link for in post #138.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

He's the one up a tree in the background Unknown! ;)

6. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Actually, I think he's the one who should be kicking out the inside of the outstretched front leg of guy-in-black (the one with his back to the camera)...

7. unknown-KJN

Alright! I admit I was having some fun with the name thing...

I know full well that Jay Lee isn't korean, but a great-great-nephew of General Robert E. Lee (made famous in the War Between the States).

The KSW master standing behind him in that photo, is the now deceased Jung Seong Park, who was a remarkable master when it came to teaching MA philosophy and kihak (the study of KI).

The KSW master who Pugil thinks needs help with his stances, is Long Kyu Park, and if not mistaken, was probably a contemporary of Pugil's own master, Mok Yang Kim. :dunno:

EDIT:

IDK why there's a gap in this list, but it makes finding Jay Lee VERY easy:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  8. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

The problem with the word 'stance' is that it suggests a fixed position, whereas the person in the black uniform, who is about to execute Ki Bon Soo 1 in that picture, is involved in the dynamics of stepping. Having said that, however, his position appears poor (to me at least) in that he has made an overly-long first step. In addition to that, he has not made much influence on his partner's relatively stable position when he grabbed the hand/wrist. Which means that, especially if he were doing the technique for real, the guy in regular street clothing could very easily kick to the inside knee of his outstretched leg.

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

OK....once again...need a little help here.

Unless I miss my guess, the use of elongated stances is an attribute of a training framework, right? I note that when individuals perform a free-flow demo against multiple partners that the stances are significantly shorter. Is this conclusion accurate?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. unknown-KJN

100%

Ollie's just being cantankerous, IMO. ;)

11. Bruce W Sims

much grass.

B.

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

"bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative"? Nope, that's not what I'm being at all.

In any case, it's not so much the length of the step that troubles me, it's just that he has placed himself in a less stable position to that of his opponent. Even if we are only talking about a moment in time, it still seems significant to me. I mean, go study the picture again. He could at least have drawn the other person's arm across his front more, which would have both disrupted his balance and also loaded his front leg (with his own body weight) so that it would be difficult to pick the front foot from the floor in order to kick with it.

13. unknown-KJN

Well, it's obvious to me you're relying on the dictionary installed on your mac to decipher what I meant... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I was always led to believe that "cantankerous" especially when used to describe a lovable dottering elderly type (not that I think you fall into this category), is not meant to be taken as strong as the synonyms of "irascible" or "querulous" but is merely a more COLORFUL word to be used in place of words like "brusque" or better yet, "bluff." Hopefully, you know I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner. :Angel:

As for the stances, I'll not speculate on what was taking place, since I wasn't there. Heaven only knows why master Park was so stretched out (and he may have done exactly what you said about redistributing Jay Lee's balance, a mere instant after the photo was snapped - it does look to be rather early in the technique, after all).

14. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Generally speaking, the sooner you counter another's attack the better — but I'm sure you are fully aware of that fact already Unknown.

Same with locks and holds — don't wait for your opponent to fully apply something and then try to get out of it. Instead, go with the movement and counter in the most obvious, and most straightforward manner. In this example, lift your front foot swiftly and kick the inside of the guy's outstretched leg.

Enough! I've done this to death! ;)

15. Bruce W Sims

Not to put too fine a point on this.....

In the practice of AIKI arts there is training approach in which a partner seizes some location on the individual such as the wrist, arm, belt, hair, etc etc. In training the attacking individual is allowed to secure their grip, thus requiring the practitioner to develop the accuracy of their response in order to effect a counter. This has become one of the most misunderstood approaches as it often sets the stage for "what-would-you-do-if"-encounters out in public which inherently end badly. This training approach is only intended to foster accuracy, confidence and authority in executing a technique. It would be ludicrous, in an altercation to wait for the attacker to fully accomplish a grip before responding.

As in the case of KARATE or TKD "one-steps" this is only a training venue. I don't think anyone actually expects that people truly fight in this manner. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

apologies for the necro, but i didnt see a sword in the seoul national museum without a guard. this is the biggest museum in s. korea. also visited the happy mountains of silla kings in gyeong ju. will see cheolla do museum this year.

question: is there a sword in korean history without a guard. seen the minimal approach in the silla tomb...

17. Bruce W Sims

Concerning the "guard", perhaps a bit of additional information is warranted.

The use of the guard is not just to protect the hand. In the proper use of the sword the guard is also used to facilitate the parry and assist in redirecting, sometimes even trapping, the enemy's weapon. It is instructive that swords were not a primary weapon on Korean battlefields. Rather they were almost always ancillary. Archers carried a TO, as did officers, cavalry and musket-men. The idea of two Korean soldiers dueling on a battlefield with sabres would be about as prevalent as two adversaries on a modern battlefield dueling with pistols. As a result the idea of using a sword has less to do with fencing another sword than with using the blade/guard combination to revector an attack and counter with a cut or thrust. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Did you check out the videos here?
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34120047&postcount=26

19. unknown-KJN

Thanks for sharing those "History Special" videos, Jayhawk. :cool:

And despite being a bit long, that entire thread is worth a read, IMO (IOW, I'm uncertain why you decided to use the *single-post view* for your link). But no matter, as I'll stick a link to the thread below. ;)

And FWIW, regarding the recent quote of mine by SsangKall, please note that I did say that a guardless blade is common for PRACTICE swords, when answering the concerns of Aegis. Personally, I can't fathom NOT having at least a small handguard if a sword is to be used in actual combat.

20. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Just trying to point out that a couple of those swords at the end of the first video didn't appear to have hand guards. (Guess I could have said that... :) )