Korean Martial Arts SUPPLIES / WEAPONS

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I know all about the hundreds of Martial Art Supply Stores out there and on the internet.

When you look...Martial Arts Supply Stores do NOT specialize in Korean weaponry, supplies, etc., but every once in a while, you stumble upon something we use.

Of course, I also know about The Gaya Won...

Besides the obvious, I'm curious to know where most practitoners/instructors (YOU) obtain the "hard to find" items used in Kuk Sool...like swords, fans, etc., and whether or not you feel like the price is right...or not.

2. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

3. Out-to-Lunch

Oh, and as far as swords go, Master Janisse made my last practice sword:

[​IMG]

www.nkma.us

These swords are awesome, and custom made for Kuk Sool practice...

4. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Yes, I get mine from there too... I actually plan on checking out Korea Town sometime soon just to see what's around.

I think I read somewhere on MAP that a pair were picked up in Korea for only 6 bucks or so...? The cheapest I've been able to find is for $30 a pair.

5. Out-to-Lunch

Yeah, that does not surprise me :p I'm pretty sure all of these fans are mass produced for Buchaechum, but the martial arts appeal inflates the price lol Not too mention the import transportation costs...At least they hold up OK. I've only had to buy two pair in my time of Bu Chae practice, but I'm more hands off with my kong kyuk sa when it comes to weapons demos lol

6. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

The sword looks nice...what are the dimensions? Length?

How is the balance...especially when moving fast?

I have a few swords, they all work nicely...one I added extra weight to just to develop strength when practicing.

7. Out-to-Lunch

I enjoy this sword quite well...I dont have the exact dimensions available, I'll have to get back to you...Its made out of aircraft aluminum, but has decent weight to it (keep in mind, its a practice sword).

I was surprised with the balance, and handeling of the weapon...Its way better than anything else in its price range $150) that I have seen...Kevin KJN makes each one by hand, so you dont have the flaws and balance issues with most commercially produced blades (the hanguk sword form tigerclaw comes to mind).

A unique feature about these swords is that they have a rather strong magnetic "latch" built right in, to accommodate the twirling that we do in Kuk Sool style sword hyung.

Concerning strength training, I have a pretty nice cocobolo Japanese style "suburito" to practice with, one go with that and I'm ready to go back to a standard mok gum, or my practice sword lol

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Please tell me you have a handle and guard for that somewhere and that this is just a display case for the blade? If not, you mustn't use a weapon like that, as a wooden handle rather than a cord-bound one will become slick with enough use and can fly out of your hand, plus without a guard you have a possibility of accidentally grabbing the blade itself if the blade is used for thrusting. Admittedly this second issue isn't likely in patterns alone, but if you're training with a weapon you should still train with all the features in place.

For safety, even with a blunt blade, you should never use the sword as it is displayed there.

I only mention this because I've seen pictures of people using Japanese shinken (sharp blades) in display cases like this, and they are extremely dangerous to those around them.

9. ANG LANCASTER

ANG LANCASTER Valued Member

Does anyone know where I can get a practice sword for a 9 year old in the UK?

10. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

11. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Sorry to have to tell you this, Aegis, but this is quite common WRT kuk-sool practice swords.

OTOH, despite the retailer being located in the UK, perhaps you could find something similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    (website of the Tai chi sabre, pictured above)

Another possibility, although CUSTOMIZED swords usually run high:
    http://www.e-mudo.com/category_s/57.htm

I couldn't locate (using GOOGLE/GOGGLE) a website I was immensely intrigued with (less than a year ago). But it had authentic Korean styled swords (both practice and live blades) at fairly reasonable prices. If I can find the info again, I'll definitely post it (or at least PM you, Liam).

12. unknown-KJN

Although slightly off-topic, I wanted to mention that I once saw a pair of MA styled fans (as opposed to dance styled fans) that were owned by CKJN In Joo Suh. The inner spines were as thick (maybe more) as the outer two wedges on the dancing fans and its two outer wedges were perhaps 2 to 3 times as thick as it's inner spines. I'm pretty sure the fabric was a synthetic rather than silk, but was a little heavier weight than what I've seen as representative of the dance fans (more like the fabric found on the aluminum spined Kung-Fu fans). [​IMG]

This made them extremely heavy & durable compared to the dance fans (I sure as hell wouldn't want to get smacked by them in a demo, like I have been with those flimsy dance fans :p ). I suspect they were custom made, but sure would be nice to know where to get a pair like that, no matter what the cost! :cool:

Also WRT the sword you pictured in your post. The hangeul etched on it reads: 잣 밧가ㅟㄷㅅ which is jibberish since the jamo ㅟㄷㅅ are never displayed like that (s/b 위드스 maybe? although this still doesn't translate to anything). Just wondering. If you know then please explain, if not, then it gives you something to ask next time you see master Janisse.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  13. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

There are these, but I've never ordered from them

http://www.martialartswords.com/index.php?cPath=2_13
    (I would love to have one of the Jikdos)
    http://www.dogum.co.kr/shop/

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

That's really quite scary. Among Japanese Sword Arts, seeing a blade used like this is terrifying as the wooden mountings are usually only to protect live blades during transport, and as such they are not securely mounted, they do not have adequate grip for long use and they don't have a hand guard.

Is this really a sword configuration condoned by the heads of the art, as this really is quite worrying to see. I don't doubt that the blade itself is nicely made, but that sort of mounting has never historically been for anything other than display, transport and storage.

15. Out-to-Lunch

This is not a display "case" (or as you may know shirasaya). Kuk Sool is NOT Japanese kenjutsu, or iaido. Its methods differ considerably, and this type of blade is a child of the variation. A tsuba (as the Japanese call it) would inhibit the execution of our Yuk Gum (reverse sword) wielding techniques.

FWIW I trained for about 4 years in Eishin Ryu Iaido, and am familar with those methods as well...Its a different color horse with Kuk Sool sword play, and different "rules" apply. :cool:

The Hangul is actually printed (on some form of transparent label), and then attached to the scabbard. I am aware that its a "funny" form of the hangul "lettering". Its actually, supposed to phonetically display my (Polish) name lol

Personally, I write it more like this: 밧가윗

16. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Hi Ang,

PSBN Paul Baxter is currently making some fantastic swords. I recently got a pair from him and am very pleased with them. I know he makes them in smaller sizes as well for reasonable prices.

If you want his details, PM me.

17. unknown-KJN

Okay, that makes more sense and is the proper way to transliterate (but now your *cover* is blown). I thought the script looked TOO perfect, but I figured that maybe it was drawn using a stencil and then etched by tracing the stenciled drawing with a wood-burning tool.

[​IMG]

I have to differ with you on this point. A handguard MIGHT get in the way of executing yuk-guhm, but as long as it's not TOO large in diameter the natural bend in the wrist when placing the back of the blade alongside your forearm should accommodate a modest projection off the handle. FWIW.

And Aegis, don't get worried about safety issues, as this type of scabbard & handle (yes indeed, very much like a shirasaya) is not used for live blades. In fact, it's rarely used on steel blades (where a fine edge could be ground even if originally absent) but only on aluminum blades (read the description posted along with the picture). Although, it looks sharp, you could run your finger down it without so much as a nick. ;)

And thanks, ImaJayhawk, the Martial Arts Swords link you provided is what I was thinking about.

18. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

FWIW, I have one of the WKSA practice swords: curved blade, all steel, handle is cord-bound, the guard is the WKSA lotus logo. It's actually quite nice. My teacher at the time (KJN Dewain Perry), a sword aficionado, hand-picked it from a shipment at HQ for me. I'm not sure they sell this particular configuration any longer. It's similar to this one, but steel, not aluminium; no blood groove; cord-wrapping instead of whatever that "weaving" is on the handle in the picture; and a nice wood scabbard instead of the black lacquer. But you can get the idea.

Anyway, I have no problems doing yuk-guhm meditations with that sword... the guard poses no problem. At least for me and my wrists/forearms. On the other hand, at the beginning of Jung Gum Hyung where you twirl the still-sheathed sword and therefore your right hand must straddle the guard to hold both the handle and the scabbard so the scabbard doesn't fly off? THAT is quite awkward and difficult (and a bit painful) with the guard on my particular sword.

19. unknown-KJN

Sorry for the off-topic nonsense, but I just have to respond to this:
    Try placing the handguard between your middle finger & index finger while doing this twirling motion. That way you can use your index finger to help keep the scabbard from flying off (at least, that's how I do it).

EDIT:
    Sorry. I meant to say to place the handguard between your ring finger & little finger (essentially holding the case/scabbard), and use your pinky to help hold the sword inside the scabbard while twirling.

20. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

thanks Unknown-KJN...I have seen the link for those swords...they are nice!