Kodokan Kata's

Discussion in 'Judo' started by hardball, Jul 4, 2013.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Cheers Mates,

Have any of you ever had to learn kime no kata? Looking for tips on learning this two man kata. I knew it back in 2007 but completely forgot it. I have the kodokan judo text and I'm going to watch it on youtube. Just looking for tips that I may not have thought of.

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Find somebody who can show you in person?

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes, when Im training in Judo, If you dont train at a Judo dojo, why would you?

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You don't need to train Judo to do Judo kata, you can just decide to take them and incorporate them into a hodgepodge interpretation of martial arts and teach them to your students.

Youtube, some PDFs and some tips from a MA forum should be enough to blag your way through it and call yourself Sensei.

5. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Went through kime no kata this morning with the book and youtube. It went just fine.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How do you know?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Ha Ha Ha Ha

I don't even use that title. My students call me Coach.

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

That's a relief, I thought for a moment you were teaching people martial arts without knowing what you were doing and having them call you 'sensei' , but if it's just 'coach' that's fine.

9. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Man, I'm humble. I don't even feel like a Sensei. LOL. Coach suits me just fine. Humility is the true essence of martial arts; NOT trash talking as many think.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why the problem with using sensei but not coach?

11. Dean Winchester

ps saying "I'm humble" tends to make you look the opposite.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Some arts (with established lineages) have students who study them for their own sake, to preserve the heritage.

Other arts that are invented are marketed to and attract students for more practical purposes, such as learning how to defend themselves.

If you make up an art, call yourself coach, teach people how to defend themselves, but don't actually know what it is you are doing and rely on YouTube, books and forums for your own 'training' then you are misleading your students, which could cause them serious problems should they believe that they have learnt skills that have some sort of biomechanical or technical advantage, but are really just things some guy picked up from a movie.

I personally am too humble to try to make up crap from watching a video and then passing it off as a martial art to my student, whether they call me Soke, Sensei, Coach, or just plain Mattt.

Well, actually humble isn't the right word, embarrassed to try to pull that one off might be more appropriate.

13. Dean Winchester

It could be worse, he could be playing at being a ninja..... :whistle:

:D

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is that what Hatsumi means when he says "Go play" then?

15. Dean Winchester

No but I can't say what he means as it'll breach ToS.

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Cool!

Maybe if you video yourself performing the technique, people may be able to offer more advice which you could have overlooked.

Also, which youtube clip did you use to learn the technique?

:)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013