Kodokan Goshin Jutsu

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Princess Haru, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I just stumbled across this on youtube today, and wondered if any BJA clubs do these techniques individually or as a long kata, and if so is it just restricted to higher Dan grades.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMt57kVJhLE"]kodokan goshin jutsu full film - YouTube[/ame]

2. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I cant talk about the BJA or even the BJC but I think both groups are teaching it but I dont know at what grade.
    I was taught it by Mike Finn when I trained with him in the very early 1980s.

3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

You need to learn some kata now for 3rd dan but I don't think it's goshin jutsu. Generally the BJA and Judo Scotland will run a couple of courses a year for people who are interested.

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

According to the old Kodokan rules when I lived in Japan, you had to be 5th dan or above to learn the Kodokan Goshinjutsu.

The main ones to learn prior to 3rd dan were the nage no kata and katame no kata, which really give you the meat and potatoes of judo technique.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I hadn't seen Katame no Kata until a few days ago. All that moving in kneeling posture

6. Kogusoku

Great to train for grappling basics especially if the uke is used to doing the ebi (shrimp) and is using aliveness to escape from the holds and strangles.

The nage no kata and katame no kata were collectively called the randori no kata, since it gave students a good basis in the patterns in which randori were conducted.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Great find thanks Haruka

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You have just made me a very happy Budoka.

:)

9. Kogusoku

For every katame-waza the uke is supposed to be held for a count of ten seconds. I remember that some sensei would have it at thirty seconds.

10. Kogusoku

Hey, you know in some koryu bujutsu ryuha, there was a saying; 「敵は馬鹿ではない!」 "Teki ha baka dewanai." - "The enemy isn't a fool." Training for aliveness was part and parcel, that's why a lot of koryu jujutsu ryuha had randori, or shiai-geiko.