Knuckle press ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by funkymonk, Oct 14, 2004.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

When i began training 3 years ago we were told that gentlemen over the age of 16 had to do press ups on their forefist knuckles (ap joomuk). I understood it was for conditioning the hands in preparation for breaking techniques. However we have recently been told that it is now up to the individual and i've heard that knuckle press ups can lead to arthiritus in later life. What are peoples opinions on knuckle press ups? Will they benefit me in any way or are they a waste of time? :confused:

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

knuckle press ups are fine and very good for conditioning your knuckles for punches etc.

however dont "over do it", make sure that you dont do too many, basically know your limits and make sure that once you finish the press ups, massage the knuckle area. :)

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

This would probably get a better answer in Health and Fitness.

I've moved it there for you

4. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Knuckle push-ups are remnants of old-school "hardcore" training...and very overrated. For stronger punches, try plyometric push-ups. For conditioning the hand, try hitting the heavy bag without gloves. That's about it.

6. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

i can't do knuckle pushups because when i was a kid, i had an accident that resulted in making my 2nd and 3rd finger protrude out a little when i clench my fist on my right hand. totally painful when i do knuckle press ups, but totally painful (to my opponent) when i connect a punch without a glove on :D.. it's like a mini elbow strike with each hook :D

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

We're talking about "kunckles" NOT "fist" pushups right???

Well, the most "knuckles" i've done is about 5. . . . but they can really strengthen my leopard fists tho. . . . .

But I don't plan on overdoing it. It's not good to overdo ANYTHING, really. But small amounts can help I believe.

8. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

Knuckle pushups keep my wrists straight which gives me a little more control and power in my reps.

9. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i'd say it should be up to the individual. there are benefits to them, but all i can say has already been said, don't go over the top, know your limits. i think hitting a heavy bag with no gloves is more likely to cause injury than knuckle press ups.

10. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

yeah. my first two fingers are protruding, and they're NOT aligned. thus, when i do knuckle push-ups, the left hand is okay, but only one finger is actually in contact with the ground on my right hand, the pointer finger (the middle finger is also misaligned, but only by about 1/4", the pointy finger is protruding about 1"). hurts like nuts
    :cry: . never had the guts to have it surgically repaired.

edit: knuckle pushups are for numbing the sensation when you punch. ideally you just do it with your first 2 knuckles since that's what you're hitting with. if you can't do knuckle pushups (or is a sissy like me) ya can alternatively just hit a pail filled with sand, pea gravel, or pea gravel mixed with sand. if you want it more compact, add water to the pail of sand. i don't do it though, i just hit the bag :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

People have this idea that conditioning their hands in this way is going to turn them into a killing machine. Knuckle pushups have little merit over the regular variety (for a harder exercise, dips are significantly better), may be dangerous and also cause ugly callouses on your hands. If it were as brilliant as some people make out, MMA fighters and boxers would use them. On the whole, they don't.