knife throwing

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aikidoka-je, Jan 31, 2008.

1. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

wellcome to the weapons thread where you can talk about knife throwing

want to share techniques talk about your favorit throwing knife or any think else related to throwing knifes post them here

have a good day poeple

[​IMG]

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Anyone else used to play 'Split the kipper?'

3. aikidoka-je

i dont know what that is but it sounds good can you tell me about it

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's a knife throwing game we used to play as kids. You'd start facing each other, the knife would be thrown outside of your foot. You place your foot where the knife landed (if it stuck in the ground) gradually getting wider and wider. There was a way of stopping this by throwing the knife between your legs but I forget the details. Good game

edit: I think if you miss the other person gets to 'split the kipper' ie: throwing the knife between your feet. If they succeded they could resume an upright position.

It's like twister for nutters :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  5. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

We used to play a similar game as kids, different name.
    Does anyone else think that picture looks just like a curtain weight?

6. aikidoka-je

the picture its a rare japanese ninja throwing knife called a kunai thay are about 1 lb

the kunai was once kind of a tool in old japan but when sharpend it is a great throwing knife

7. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

-so the ring in the rear is not for attaching hair/etc. for stabilisation, then? I've seen pictures (on this forium, I believe) of chineese throwing-darts with something light attached at the rear to stabilize the weapon, so it doesn't rotate in flight; a sort of mini-jarvelin :p

8. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

We played it here in Scotland where it was called 'knifey'

Louie

9. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Still looks just like a curtain weight. :D

10. aikidoka-je

i found a great kunai demonstration video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvp8jkmWBN0"]Kunai Throwing Techniques - YouTube[/ame]

11. donb

donb restless spirit

You guys have never seen this knife in "Naruto"? Anyway, not to advertize but i prefer Hibben throwing knives, been playing with it for years; did a lot with Hwarangdo back then.

12. aikidoka-je

yeah i have seen it in naruto its quite a famous throwing knife it also appers in samurai deeper kyo my own original manga lizardstones and many other anime manga

13. aikidoka-je

today i was throwing knifes and i found if you hold it like a dart and throw it like knife it works great :D

14. aikidoka-je

about the kunai

kunais come in four different sizes
    1-the first kunai maid in over 100 years i think it messured 6 to 7 inches where the handle ended it had a more rounded blade top then the one shown in the picture
    2-the kunai shown in the picture it was maid havier and a little shorter 5 iches
    3-the same only 12 inches
    4-this fourth kunai has more and an arrow head for a blade
    ----------
    here are the most effective ways to throw a kunai this may not work with other knives
    1-if your kunai has cord wrap hold by the ring make sure that your kunais tip is pointing to the sky move your kunai over your head and then throw
    2-this way is if your kunai has wrap do a normal throw holding the knive by the tip
    3-and make sure you wrist isstraight when throwing
    ----------
    the kunais history and story
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunai
    ----------
    sorry i havent posted anything in a while good day people :D

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I personally see no point in shelling out extra dough for a kunai when you can buy a throwing knife for less (except for the cool points)

16. aikidoka-je

i can see that mostly the people that buy it are knive collecters naruto fans or people that are realy in to trowing knives like me

so people i was wondering what is the best wood for throwing knives i normaly use a big 2 by 12

17. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I am going to post this in big letters so everyone understands and reads this:

That is not a kunai. No kunai has looked like that historically, ever. That is a make-believe weapon from Naruto.

That is no more a kunai than this is a sword:

[​IMG]

A real kunai looks like this:

[​IMG]

Stop pretending you live in an anime, and buy a real knife. Kunai are shovels. LITERALLY A DIGGING TOOL. They arent sharp, they arent rare, they arent magical.

Those are too heavy and worthless. You are better off making bo shuriken out of a nail, or just throwing a really heavy book than carrying that peice of crap around.

The ring in the back is used for aesthetic purposes BECAUSE IT IS FROM AN ANIME AND IT LOOKS COOL TO FLING IT AROUND ON YOUR FINGER.

Please dont take advice from anime. Please.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  18. aikidoka-je

not to argue i think you for telling everyone
    --
    the kunai was once a digging tool and back in the day of the ninja and samurai the kunai could be sharpened
    sometimes a ring was attached to tie chains or rope to be used for war
    --
    naruto brought the kunai back and thay began making real ones after making replicas of the naruto kunai
    --
    i am going off of japanese history any way lets get back to knife throwing
    --
    thanks for looking banpen fugyo and remenber people this isint all about kunais its about knifes in general good day :)

19. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

They were never "gone". They are obsolete. They were only used a long time ago because people had nothing else to use... and even then they werent used much. They were barely used for throwing. Naruto didnt "bring them back". The "kunai" you are using were created BECAUSE of Naruto.

People in REAL ninjutsu schools use the REAL kunai in practice, not that Naruto, wannabe-real, too heavy crap.

I dont know how to explain this to you any better. Even the ones made of iron arent real. The only similarity between what you are using and a real one is the name that the Naruto author gavem them: KUNAI.

KUNAI ARE SHOVELS. They are BARELY sharp. They look like a teardrop, not a knife. And they were barely used for throwing.

Stop training with this, and start learning real knife throwing or bo shuriken throwing.

Im not saying this to be an ass, but training with those is just as realistic as training with Cloud's Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII.

No such thing.....ever.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  20. aikidoka-je

thank you for explaining

you gave me an idea if i can get a kunai to work half the time like i am starting i will probly be way better with a real throwing knife any one else who owns one shoud try that i think :D