Knife hand training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KonGato, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

My point in highlighting that was really just say 'hey look, these thing do place considerable stresses on the body'. As you say though, the human body can cope with such stresses remarkably well.

But I just think that striking a target with zero give to it, with the side of a small thin bone just isn't that good an idea. The target should have some give, or only offer such resistance as you can overcome (ie. you break it).

Personally I save the little finger edge of my hand for softer targets such as the neck. More resilient targets can have my forearm instead - the ulna is a dramatically thicker bone than any of the metacarpals, and so will absorb the impact so much more effectively.

Mike

2. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

When doing the horizontal knife-hand strike (i.e. strike at waist/rib-cage level) and with palm up (as in the first pictures in my previous post):

- Should the arm be in a straight line from hand to biceps?

I am wondering, because I feel a bit sore after training just below the biceps - in the place where overarm meets underarm.

See this picture.

SANY0721.JPG

Do you believe this is "normal" soreness, as when training untrained muscles?
    Or could it have to do with me not keeping my arm in a straight line?

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

In all seriousness though, this is definitely stuff you need to be asking your instructor rather than others on an Internet forum. Especially when it's something they should be able to easily answer for you.

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

You mean with the elbow completely straight? No definitely not.

There are too many factors to say categorically. I'd need to see you doing it. One thought though, I sometime see people striking like this with the arm too far out to the side. This often results in strain around the elbow or even the front of the shoulder. You should be striking a target more in front of you than to the side.

Mike

5. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Catch up Kumo.. He has been given examples on tape and in words.
    He's gone and overtrained it already. KonGato, think of it like weight-training. You work the muscle, then you give it a recovery period.. Similar situation here mate.
    At first you should be lightly thudding target as i stated before, in order for your body to adjust. If you post injury next day your pretty much exsposing the fact that you went at it like a wildman :).

Your photo of injured area, that could not happen from the strike i suggested to you.
    You have turned your palm to face down and locked arm straight tucked your thumb in and gone for that shot by the sounds of it..

You said you train shaolin kungfu, are there any karate clubs nearby. Perhaps you could search you-tube for this exact topic with many examples from accepted sources etc.
    "from the hip" you said when striking!!!.. Thats not what anyone suggested here, is that shaolin way? 2 yrs shaolin and no knifehand training or delivery knowledge!
    Join a respected karate-do club NOW lol. Seriously mate, maybe train what you do now but definately crosstrain in something else.
    While your resting that arm, youve got research time for you-tube vids and karate clubs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

My point was, if he is learning under a teacher these are things he should be asking his teacher. There comes a point where you get beyond just sharing different ideas and getting into the realm of being where you need a teacher to show you the way. His questions can be answered within minutes by his own teacher. My question is, why is he not asking him?

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I apologise Kuma, i can see thats what you meant now. Think i'll make my next coffee a de-caf :)

8. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

You're right, I should be asking my teachers :)

I happen to be a bit shy when it comes to confronting them with questions, that's why I ask this on inetrnet :) After our "intermediate class" they always have to rush to the "advanced class". Not much time for questions, but I'll try to ask them BEFORE class hehe..

But I will go and ask them next class.

Thanks for all the advice :)