knife defense

Discussion in 'Karate' started by gojuman, Oct 1, 2003.

1. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

what is your number 1 defense against a right handed over head knife attack?

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Depending on relative angles, length of blade, straight or reverse grip etc,

I'm imagining that he's already in range and the knife will connect. Therefore retreating would be too slow/late.

First: -

a) Move in to jam the descending forearm from beneath using left upward palm

or

b) Control the arc of the descending elbow with pressure from the outside using the left hand. Hopefully he stabs himself in the nuts ;)

Second (just about simultaneous): -

The other hand either assists in control or strikes to somewhere juicy. At this point I would expect to be already in, or moving into an offside position where he can't see me or reach me.

Rgds,
    David

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

move (away is best then leggit)

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

After wetting myself, move to their outside, bridging with something that looks like the bong sau of wing chun, take control of the arm, crash my body into theirs, doing everything I can to keep them unbalanced. Apply a joint to hopefully break the wrist. Keep hitting them until they are safely away from the knife and no further threat.

5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

When someone is about to use a knife they are usually nervous. This means that they are going to be using short very quick movements. The chances of you catching blocking etc. are pretty damn slim under real circumstances. Run away. If you have to resort to blocking then it should come naturally. As a defence though, quick low kicks are probably your best bet. Eventually he is probably going to go for the offending legs, when he does- catch him with a right punch to the throat.

6. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

kick his crotch?

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

the one my wado ryu instructor showed us-upward block to his forearm, then grab wrist followed by armbar using your shoulder as a fulcrum or a throw from that position, not letting go of his knife hand. Would that work?

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaahahaaaa

Ahem....

Maybe not.

9. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

"Fall to my knees, Scream " I'm a haemophilliac", then when he turns away in disgust, kick him in the back, stand on his neck & run like hell"

stolen from homer simpson but works like a charm :D

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sounds more of a old film style knife attack than real life. I doubt it would happen, but I'd either move away or move in a grab instead of waiting for the knife hand to come down on me.

Other method *might* work, but you risk the knife ending up in your arm or head :D

11. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

we call that the "psycho" knife attack, as seen in the movie . If the attack is for real and he is coming at you commited to his motion....
    1. while evading back with the right foot, bring both hands up and to the outside of his knife arm.
    2. parry (forearm/wrist, not knife!)the blow with both hands and accelerate his downward arc so that the knife is redirected into his own groin, thigh, etc.
    3. followup with a kneelift with the right leg and finish with a chop to the back of the neck with your left hand.

good luck.

12. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

move off line and flow.

what will be will be.

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Get knife in head
    What will be will be...
    I agree with PGM and the others.I doubt many people would actually attack you like that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Tripple back-ward sommersault followed bya fireball! ;)

Move to the outside, try and check the guys forearm/w the back of my right forearm (he's got a knife, your going to get cut, accept it), punch him, elbow him, knee him, head butt him try and check his knife hand wrist with my hand or try and trap it to my body (sounds dodgy but I'm sure some of the more experienced know what I mean). Hopefully he'l have dropped it, if not run passed him whilst he coughs up some teeth.

Either that or wet myself and end up in A&E. :)

15. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

When it comes to knives you only have one chance to defend yourself. if you HAVE to fight then trying to block with your arm is gonna be the last thing that arm ever does. Knife attacks are usually frenzied i.e. not just one single thrust or slash but repeated quick nervous slashes. To get an IDEA of what a real scenario would be like, try this.

Wear your favourite shirt preferably light coloured.
    Give your mate a big red marker pen.
    Tell him to try to use the pen like a knife and offer him a round of drinks if he gets you.
    You try and stop it happeneing by blocking and countering.
    See what happens...........

Reality: His attacks were quick short and sharp? He was very determined? Lots of red marks down you? That favourit shirt signifies the fact that you really dont want it (your body/life) ruined. Thats reality.

Forget the blocks dude for your famillies sake.

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

the ideal technique taugth in our style is :

left foot forward to move off center while intercepting the forearm with overhand cross block, not stopping his arm but redirecting it then into attackers own groin. Left punch to floating ribs, right palm heel to ear, and finally break the right knee with a blade kick.

but probaly the most effective defense against a knife attack is to shoot him in the torso with your pistol from 10 ft away.

David
    www.kempokarate.com

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That's better - but you may want to at least double that distance unless your gun is already out and you have a bead on him.

18. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Yes, that is what I was assuming LOL

19. David

So the answer is to not be there or to find yourself there and have to come up with an answer.

Nervous strikes from a knife attacker doing an overhand slash/stab? Nah!

I like the idea of practicing wearing a treasured shirt. But if you want to keep practicing, best to keep it to a competitive bet - at least you have incentive, still, without the drag of ruining good clothes.

Rgds,
    David

20. David

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003