Knife Defence

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pugil 2, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Pugil 2

Pugil 2 New Member

What are your thoughts on this video everyone?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guLgrSBu1hA"]Systema Russian Martial Art Knife Disarming Seminar in Toronto 2003 - YouTube[/ame]

2. embra

embra Valued Member

Do not agree with his central premise:- If you don't have time to move out of the road, try and use your arms/body movement to parry with feet static. This can be kebab time. The attacks are training attacks and not realistic in tempo or variation e.g. no slashes or whips just simple single thrusts.

If there isn't time and space to evade - step back quickly to gain a fraction of time and space.

If you are completely boxed in with no way out at all e.g. in a lift - jump down his throat faster than he stabs. Can't say I have tried this beyond basic training (my friend used this technique when attacked by a dog recently i.e. dog's teeth being replacement for knife.) Can't say I fancy trying it out either.

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

About par for the course for systema AFAIK.
    Which is to say, a fat dude in camo doing his best to look nonplussed while pontificating about strategy and brushing away attacks whose primary attitude is something like "What will he do to me this time?"

As for the specific movement, no angles, no footwork, no threat and no control. It's clear that this is pervasive issue in his movement as many of his "no, come back later" picks leave the knifer on the inside and him with no controls and no positional advantage. A double jab would kill him nine times out of ten doing that.

The more I see, the surer I become that Systema is really just a Bujinkan offshoot somehow.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. Pugil 2

Pugil 2 New Member

Personally, I'm not too sure about this, especially against a wild slashing and stabbing psycho attacker - let alone someone skilled in Filipino or Indonesian martial arts. Give me a bar stool, or a big stick, every time!

5. embra

embra Valued Member

if there isnt time to evade, then there will not be time to pick anything up.

6. Pugil 2

Pugil 2 New Member

Yes, I totally agree with you. When I said that "I'm not too sure about this" I was referring to the video clip itself, and hadn't seen your post before I posted.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If there isn't time to evade, it doesn't matter what techniqes you train in. You've let someone close, draw and use a weapon before you started to deal with the situation.
    If he's got two brain cells to rub together and he wants to kill you, that's what's going to happen.

These "real fight" discussions always seem to gloss over the number one priority, and that's keeping a running inventory on what's going on around you and especially inside your "bubble". If you're letting strangers behind, beside, or up close to you unaddressed, there is absolutely no technique or tool that will make it anything but simple to kill you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Let's be frank here, it was terrible. People barely being touched and falling over, terrible technique, pathetic realism and what looks like a class full of brainwashed students.

I'm just waiting for the Systema guys to come on here and tell us we need to try it before we criticise.

Not for me thanks.

9. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Not very impressed

Choosing to put your hands out to evade a knife attack rather than getting off the line of attack with your body? You're gonna loose some fingers there buddy, not to mention getting skewered

Maybe the guy thinks his huge beer gut will protect his vital organs from a knife. Is that why he looks so non chalent?

I haven't really seen systema outside of Youtube so I hate to say it all looks pretty terrible....but the evidence is piling up

Incidently there is a System class starting where I train whilst our class is happening. I'll poke my head in and have a gander

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

That was really really.........

Rubbish.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Systema is really, really bad at weaponry....remember when Karl Tanswell ripped them a new one?

I will refrain from commenting on their empty hand aspects for now

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've seen this type of knife defense before.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE"]LIVING COLOUR - Jim Carey-Karate Instructor - YouTube[/ame]

13. Janno

Janno Valued Member

There is stuff that works in theory.

And there is stuff that works in practice.

And there is stuff that works neither in theory, nor in practice. And that's what this is.

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

He died at 1.10 with s severed artery in his right armpit.
    Pathetic and dangerous.
    If i see one more knife defence drill where the attacker stabs like this, i think i'll ... scream...