Knife Crime

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Simon, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Simon

Simon Bulldog Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I know you've all missed my videos, so here's one for you.

Knife crime - what can we do about it?

Frodocious, aaradia, Travess and 3 others like this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Nicely put across.

Not sure it will help reduce knife crime, as those kinds of neat disarm and counter techniques are low enough percentage for experienced martial artists in a live situation, let alone some scally who's watched a few youtube videos. Were you talking more about the glorification of knife fighting?

Totally agree on the context-free "revenge" attacks after a disarm you see a lot of (seen it in a lot of FMA videos as well as Krav).

3. Simon

Hi David, yes the video was aimed at the glorification, rather than any specific technique.

David Harrison likes this.
  4. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Active Member

Great video. I agree that some YouTube videos are irresponsible.

Anything we can do to reduce glorification is good.

Simon likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu Supporter

I was going to post this on MAP after watching it this week on YouTube.
    Great video and a very valuable message for all instructors publishing videos.

Monkey_Magic and Simon like this.
  6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Interesting comments, and I do agree!

The whole thing about taking a knife off an attacker and then slashing them to ribbons was something I always felt a little uncomfortable with when doing FMA. I learnt FMA to learn an art and had no interest in fighting or "self defence" (heck, my favourite weapon is the tomahawk!), but obviously not everyone is in the class for that same reason.

If you're learning the system for self defence, some of those finishes are dodgy at best and instructors need to be a little more responsible about what they are teaching as self defence.

-----

(Silly reply time)

All people need to do is get fitter or learn TKD or judo.

Tory MP says young people should 'get fitter' to protect against knife crime

axelb likes this.
  7. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Active Member

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Hopefully they are not admin if they are! :eek:

9. neems

neems Valued Member

My take is that stopping these tools being glorified is down to familiarity of responsible attitudes from those around them from a young age.

I sometimes go to wild camping/bushcraft events with a friend who's a trader, the knife safety courses they give the kids there are great, at the wilderness gathering I believe it's mandatory for kids to take the course in order to be able to carry their knives around the site, which they all do and there has to my knowledge never been an incident.

From there they use the knives for all sorts of activities, fire lighting, shelter building etc most will continue to do so wild camping with their parents whenever they get the chance.

I'm sure it doesn't even enter their minds that what they have is a weapon rather than a tool, it creates an entirely different attitude.
    Empowering the individual to act responsibly and take responsibility, rather than empowering (by creating a culture of fear around) pieces of sharp metal.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

How many of those events are attended by inner city kids from deprived neighbourhoods?

Simon and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Bear "all up in ma" Grills?

12. neems

neems Valued Member

There's nothing to stop anyone attending, if their parents wanted to empower them they easily could, instead they empower the sharp bits of metal.

Because of that a culture of personal responsibility will not have chance to develop, unfortunately. Instead they have a culture of fear and increasingly a dependence on an authoritarian state to regulate their every action, very unsuccessfully I might add when we look at the amount of stabbings in London.

13. Simon

Other than the incredible sense of exclusion felt by these young boys and girls.

That sounds like a politicians answer and a politician who had never visited an inner city.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I wouldn't say that it's 'easy' for a single parents with 3 kids working 2 jobs living in a flat with no garden on a dodgy estate in Battersea to take their kids to a Bushcraft course.
    I grew up in inner city London and the nearest I got to Bushcraft was sitting up a tree with a spud gun on Wimbledon common.

Simon and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool the merc with the mouth MAP 2017 Moi Award

Sounds like someone is blaming kids living in poor areas with high crime rates, for being poor and being fearful of the crime.

When you were a kid, who's choice was it to have the parents you did?

Why is it the fortunate tend to not realise that blind luck / good fortune had a large say in why they are in the postition they're in.

16. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think about this somewhat often. I am a fairly fortunate individual. A lot of that is due to having a bunch of advantages out of the starting gate. My parents don't come from money, but both managed to bootstrap themselves into lots of education (both ended up with PhDs), both got government jobs in the US (sciencey type jobs), and by the time I came around they would be considered upper middle class in terms of wealth/income.
    Despite various advantages, I can think of at least 2 major 'branch points' in my life where things could have gone very differently for me. For one, I could have landed in prison & been a convicted felon. That path was aborted, thankfully, and the consequences of how far down that path I had gone ended up being not particularly bad, due to various advantages I had. (That was when I was a young adult, 18-20 or so. I was a very different person at that time than I am now at 37.)

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Actually I think some of the kids involved in knife crime are highly personally responsible.
    They know that at 1am on a Saturday night, when they run into a rival group from a different estate or postcode, there won't be any police present, violence will be highly likely, and perhaps the only way they'll get out of the situation is to be armed and fight their way out.

18. David Harrison

Ever heard of Forest School? There are a number of schools in impoverished areas doing that now.

Obviously nowhere near enough, budgets being what they are these days. I wouldn't blame the parents, but I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids responsibility and resilience in that way.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh no....I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those kinds of courses at all. My own kids have done (or will do) similar stuff.

All I'm saying is that there are a whole load of other factors that prevent it being a real solution to the problem of knife crime in a city like London imho.

I dare say there'd even a be a massive cultural rift to cross to get people engage with it let alone have a tangible effect.
    Advertise a 'Bushcraft' course and many people in London would probably think it was a course on how to create a vajazzle.

Southpaw535 and David Harrison like this.
  20. David Harrison

Definitely. Many other factors are far more important and a few days of bushcraft can't change generational alienation.

In fact, we can look to many impoverished places around the globe where knives are used as tools from childhood and teenagers also use them as weapons against each other.