Knife attack on camera

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Gyaku, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Or jumping out of a moving bus into traffic at anything up to 30mph.....I'd stick with the attacker....

2. af_sting

af_sting Teoul Moon Kung Fu

Do they commonly call the only deck on the single deckers a "top deck"?

Unless they mis-reported it, I think it was a double.

-Sting

3. Rainer.T88

Rainer.T88 New Member

Lets take worse case scenario, Lets say I was stabbed at my neck once and the attacker pulls the knife out. here's my most probable unplanned response.

1.) stand up. If i have still had my life
    2.) take a few steps back very quickly grabbing some ones bag along the way... while they start to notice my neck is bleeding.
    3.) RUN. LOL j/k i'll shout "UNCLE STOP THE BUS" in chinese or eng wadever
    4.) The bus driver brakes hard, theres bound to be inertia as learned in physics. so the attacker will either fall hard.. or stagger
    5. ) Whether fall or just a stagger ill take the bag in my hand. Thrust it Forward hard ... using it as shield while approaching.
    6.) The bus is quite cramp. no time for fanciful moves,no roundhouse kicks. a full force front kick would do. Hit his solar plex and take the wind out of him so he cant move.
    7.) whatever happens next will vary. In the worst case ill die of bleeding. The best is he goes to prison.

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You wouldnt be able to stand up. Picture yourself sitting on a bus. How would you stand up with someone stabing you and obstructing your path (standing in the isle)?

5. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Rainer.T88, you are so dead. Good luck shouting when your neck has been stabbed.

What I don't get is why everyone is only bringing up reactive knife defenses. I try to make proactive choices.

For example yesterday on the bus, I made a strategical choice. Should I sit in the seat that is near an exit, facing inward and has bars/wheel beside it, or sit in a cramped seat and stare into space. I chose the former seat.

6. NaughtyKnight

Im not going to catch the bus anymore. :cry: :eek:

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Most people have things to think about, and can't always act like CIA agents. You may not always have made a good choice, sometimes you just have to find the best way to deal with the consequences.

8. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Most people have things to think about, and can't always act like CIA agents. You may not always have made a good choice, sometimes you just have to find the best way to deal with the consequences.

You don't have to be a CIA agent to decide where to sit on a bus, or a restruant or anywhere.

I am just saying it's better to be proactive than reactive.

My rules of thumb are:

1) My back to the wall
    2) where you can see most(or all) people and entrances and exits.
    3) And aware.

This isn't really that hard to do. Also I think that when people, most of the time, have something on their mind, it is usually a stresser such as bills, groceries, work, ect..., which isn't good to be thinking about anyway. I think that most people would agree that it's better to try and live in the moment. I mean what's more important to think about, your life or work n bills?

You're right that a person even though being proactive might not make the right choice. But they made the best choice they could and I think that increases your chance of survival better than being in jammyland.

9. NaughtyKnight

You are way to paranoid. This isnt Iraq, you wont be facing death every time you jump on the train.

Here's my rule for sitting on train/bus.

1. My back facing towards ugly chicks and old men.
    2. My line of sight must include 2 chicks minimum.
    3. Not the middle seat between to fat people, smells so bad.
    4. Near the window so i can call out to chicks outside.
    5. NOT NEAR ANY LITTLE KIDS (unless their mother is hot)
    6. Not near any goths (unless they're hot goth chicks).
    7. Not near any phsyco looking people (unless they're hot chicks).
    8. Not near any people that look like the will talk your ear off (unless they are hot).

Thats the only rules you need for a pleasent trip. :D

10. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

It sounds like you are obsessed with girls mate but then again who isn't apart from people who are gay or biy

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  11. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Think Im gonna modify that and print that off and put it up at my desk in work for who is allowed to talk to me :D

12. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

13. Rainer.T88

Rainer.T88 New Member

Theres defintely space to stand... dun be lame unless he's world fattest dude

and for not being able to shout, its not true if it doenst totally destroy your voice box. have you ever read a woman that gave birth after her head had been decapitated from her body a few seconds later?? If u havent , Be amazed

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  14. NaughtyKnight

Err ok man.

Sorry, I wouldnt know, never read or seen it, Im not into snuff.

15. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

I am not paranoid. Paranoia is fear. I am not affraid, just aware of my surroundings. Fear and awareness do not always go hand in hand.

Think of it this way. Which driver is safer from getting into an accident? One that is aware and takes appropriate actions to avoid potential accidents? Or a drive that is blasting music, talking on his cell phone and thinking about dinner? Now switch "driver" for "civilian" and "(an) accident(s)" for "(a) life-threatening situation(s)."

I have a certificate in Spontaneous Knife Defense from Steve Summerville. The main thing he stressed during the course, was observation skills.

16. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Let me clear up the confusion once and for all - the 133 bus is definitely a double decker bus. The attack occurred to the rear of the bus - somewhere I rarely sit. I feel so secure now...I work in Kennington and have often caught that bus.
    One top tip is don't have your phone on display on the bus - have it on vibrate alert and only use it in an emergency ("Er, hi, police please - some dude is waving a knife at me and wants this phone...") :D

17. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

Martial arts should teach us not only how to fight, but the judgement to know when and when not to fight. A strong person can admit when he is out numbered or out gunned. I'm sitting down unarmed, he is standing up with a knife in his hand asking for my phone. It's a material possession, a piece of plastic with some wires, he can have the damn thing.

As I got the phone ready to hand to him, I'd keep my hands up covering my face and neck in a passive manner, palms towards him. I'd act worried but not scared, telling him he can even have my coat if he wants, I'd then keep this in front of me wrapping it round my left hand, acting as an oversized glove should he try to stab or slash. But I wouldn't attack him unless I thought he was about to attack me or someone around me.

This subject brings up a good point about clothes and surroundings, how many of you people spar in crowded places? How many of you train in crowded places with your work clothes on? Or your Friday night clothes on? It becomes a different ball game altogether. Heavier/lighter shoes, a heavier or more restrictive coat that doesn't allow you to punch with any great force. I know a lot of you people out there do train for these types of scenarios, I just thought it was a valid point that is worth bringing up.

We have to remember that this actually happened.
    The guy was sitting on a bus in the middle of the day and he was stabbed repeatedly in the head and neck.
    And we are chatting about how we would have done this and we would have done that. I just hope that he is okay and the attacker is taught not to do that again.

Like my second paragraph, that is what I like to think I would do, but I don't know whether I'd do the coat thing. I would have to assess my attacker's mood, then judge to see if he would allow me to take my coat off.

Hindsight is a frustrating but educational gift.

-M.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

:D

Anything to say on that Scarlet? Also, whether slip-on shoes or not, throwing a shoe at someone about to stab you repeatedly is a bad idea.

19. NaughtyKnight

Yeah bloody oath, leave your shoes on.

20. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

To quote Austin Powers... "A shoe? Who throws a shoe? Honestly..."

:D

Is it me or does most of the **** that happens on public buses happen at or near the back? For what its worth, I try to be aware as well but I tend to get nauseous on those damn sideways facing seats with all the stop and go and heaters blasting. I like the forward facing seats.