Knife attack on camera

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Gyaku, Feb 25, 2005.

1. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

i understand now, thanks! There are fists like that in CMA too. :)

2. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

SilatPupil - Interesting ideas, but kicking in a London bus is hard, especially when its running, although if you have the ability I suppose it could be done..

Also if you look closely at the picture the victim was being grabbed by one hand and stabbed by the other, not sure if you can easily kick in that position.
    Another good idea, but if you look at the report, the guy did this and still got his hands badly hurt. And the guy still got stabbed in the neck.

My response would of been a fast jab to his nose and then sprint down the stairs on the guys left.

3. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

London buses have such a narrow pathway so its near impossible to run. Could've stood up, held the bars, jumped and kicked him as hard as possible(if he had MA training).

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

the way I see it the attacker is on his lead leg, to facilitate a swinging slash or stab. Yhe victim has reached out to touch his attacker, to try push him away....at this point a good boot in the knee would have floored him, followed by another in the head ...... then disarm of knife and slap a joint lock on him, or pile on him to control.... I cant see any stairs, looks like a single decker to me ??? The victim is also leaving his entire torso open, which is a very large target for the attacker..... Now Im not blaming the lad, maybe is is untrained, inexperienced, or just scared....its easy to criticise/evaluate what he did/did not do, but if someone learns from it, its worthwhile....

5. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Good point! My mistake. I have seen other pics of the attack, it looks like the guy ran up to the victim, grabbed him and started stabbing. So I would of gone for the knifers elbow, and held it, them pummel him with my free right

At which point our man then tried to grapple with the knifeman's arm, and recieved further injuries in the process.

6. Sgt_Major

Stupid to grapple with it when the knife still in the hand......range is too close for knife....stick/bottle maybe you could get away with it, but not a knife. Range/distance is best when dealing with knives....

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Always thought it was the black and decker drill. :D

They teach you that in Silat? :Angel:

8. ubermint

ubermint Banned Banned

And yet, in combat sports where kicking the knee is allowed, it simply doesn't produce that effect.

In muay thai, we actually block kicks with our knees. We use a push kick like a boxer's jab in muay thai, and we hit the legs a lot. I have struck the kneecap plenty of times.
    For creating distance, disrupting balance and setting up a thai roundhouse, the push kick works great.
    But instant kneecap breaking is largely a myth.

As for the whole "what would you do?" question: Once again, I think that kind of speculation can only put you in an increasing spiral of paranoia, until you're theorizing what kind of laser-hand block you'd use to defend against an armoured tyrannosaurus. If you want to know what you can do against a knife, have someone who hasn't been indoctrinated to fear you (IE not your students) come at you with a marker blade, full resistance.
    I can't tell you what to talk about, but the speculation just doesn't seem healthy to me.

9. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

So what's wrong with jumping through the window, or throwing your shoe at him, or throwing something at hit, like the seat cushion. Or you could break the window and then jump through it.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Jump through the window on the double decker bus? You should be a stuntman.

Throw your shoe? "Hold on a sec mate, stop swinging that knife at me while I take my shoe off and throw it at you. You can then carry on slashing my neck."

Break the window then jump through it? Again, a double decker bus, and how would you break the window then jump in the 1 second you have to do it before you get stabbed in the neck?

11. Sgt_Major

It was a single decker adam ...... :D

As for kicks to knee, im not sure, I dislocated my cousins knee in class with a well aimed kick to just under the cap in an upwards kick....was pretty nasty looking all pushed up and to the side..... had a casat for 6 weeks :eek: :eek:

12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Firstly, it was a single decker, which would make jumping through the window a perfectly acceptable option. Thirdly, if you're wearing those slip off shoes, they come off real easily. Secondly, I obviously can't count. Fourthly, back on track now, breaking the window is done only in the event that the window was not already open. :D

13. Preta

Preta New Member

There's too many "What ifs?" to consider from our standpoint. The next time someone tries to stab me, I'll just let you know how it goes and we'll start from there.

-Adam

14. NaughtyKnight

I also block with my knee. When you are blocking with your knee you are creating a triangle which gives your leg extreme support and power.

If your standing on your leg and take a kick to side of it, say goodbye to walking for a long time.

15. Trinity

Trinity New Member

When you say breakin a knee cap is a myth i agree but but a short quick side kick to the front of the knee will snap the leg backwards (it works) Anyway to answer the original question i would not stop a bloke from stabing another guy its none of my business maybe the bloke getting stabed rapped the guy doing the stabings kids or missus. Get off the bus and keep out of it

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  16. Trinity

Trinity New Member

i have trained in defence againts all different kinds of weapons including knives and i sort of agree with urbermint its a whiole different ball game when somebody is actually trying to kill you or if somebody knows how to use a knife. I do believe though that i would have more of a chance in surviving a knife attack than the average joe on the street even if its only a 2% more chance of surviving, due to the fact that i like to live i will take that 2% over not knowing how to defend at all.

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The worst injury I ever got in martial arts training (as opposed to sparring or being a padded attacker) was a torn ACL and medial meniscus. It was from a Thai kick to the side of the knee angling down. I went down and couldn't support my weight on that leg.

18. NaughtyKnight

OWW. I feel you man.

Knees are the most painful place to get injured. :cry:

19. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Don't those buses have an emergency exit door at the back? If so that's where i'd be trying to get to.
    Mind you in that situation i just don't know how i'd react until it happened.

20. NaughtyKnight

That would mean moving the attacker aside, running past him, openeing the door and getting out. All while a knife is slashing your throat.