knee sprain

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by matveimediaarts, Mar 8, 2014.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I have a (self-diagnosed) knee sprain. Pretty sure I got it in ballet this morning. It doesn't radiate pain. I only notice it really hurting when I let my knee bow backwards or jump. It's weird, as I was doing a lot of jumps this morning with no troubles. I didn't even notice it till a while after I got home.

Is ice the best route? It's the most common advice I'm aware of. Thanks! (sorry if this post is redundant-forum search did not find this topic hitherto discussed)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Don't apply ice directly as it can burn. Ice in a towel is the best method.

Rest comes next and then if the condition doesn't improve a quick check up is on order.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've had 2 suggested courses of action on ice.

One is the traditional ice pack applied through a cloth and held on the area for 10 minutes or so.

The other is an ice cube massage. Put some oil on the skin and rub an ice cube on the affected area for about 3 minutes. You have to keep the ice cube moving (hence the oil) and probably use a second when the first melts, but it is supposedly more effective than the ice pack method.

Mitch

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

A nice little trick if you are doing ice massage is to freeze water in a styrofoam cup. You can peel the cup back to where the ice is and still keep your hand from getting too cold or wet. Once you are finished you can stick what is still left back in the freezer so that it is ready and easy to use next time..

Ever tried to hang on to a wet cold ice cube?? :' P

LFD

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Because of this thread, I have. :hat: Had to switch to holding it with a paper towel. :cool:

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Neat tip!

I'm still amazed I got away with mentioning an oily massage to reduce swelling.

Mitch

7. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Does a knee support bandage really help speed up the healing? I think I have a minor strain/sprain (heard a pop when it happened). Really need this to heal fully within days! Thanks

8. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn’t bank on it healing within days. Most musculoskeletal injuries take a while to heal and it’s not worth risking long-term problems. Whereas a bit of patience (rest, ice and time) and, if required, physio therapy could avoid a permanent niggle.

axelb likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Knee supports keep it warm, and remind you and others there is an injury, apart from that by themselves, a normal tubular bandage type support doesnt do that much.

If there was a pop, it might not be a sprain.

EdiSco and Monkey_Magic like this.
  10. Monkey_Magic

I agree with Dead Pool: if there was a pop, it mightn’t be a sprain. I’d get it checked out by a physiotherapist.

The knee’s quite complicated, because of its wide range of movement. Hence there are lots of things that can go awry (muscles, tendons, ligaments, bruising a bone, etc). Hence I’d go to a physio for a check.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. EdiSco

I heard a couple of cracks when it happened. It's definitely a minor sprain as it's now getting back to normal. A friend gave me some MSM and glucosomine and chondritin tablets. Seem to be helping!

12. Monkey_Magic

If you have cracking or popping in your knee, this can be a sign of a meniscus tear or cartilage injury. These injuries are often caused by sudden twisting or other things you might do ballet or martial arts. No amount of MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin or collagen supplements can fix these particular injuries. To be on the safe side, why not see a physio?

EdiSco and Dead_pool like this.
  13. EdiSco

Feels almost healed today. I definitely heard a couple of quick cracks and it was a minor twist. Obviously no real damage was done luckily! The next morning it was worse. I actually continued as normal after the twist. Thank god no real damage was done. Cracks must have been something else like when you crack your knuckles? If I'd damaged it, I'd be in trouble by now o_O