Knee replacement surgery.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by pseudo, Jun 27, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Just curious how many of you have had knee replacement surgery or knee Surgey in general.

How painful was it?

How long was the recovery time?

How did it impact you future participation in your chosen MA?

A few years back when I still played soccer I had a friend (sports therapist) have a look at my knees and she was sure I was going to need surgery in my late 30 early 40 depending on how hard I was on them. Well, my job is exceedingly hard on my knees, im concerned that need surgery will be necessary much sooner then I would like. I wont lie, the idea of surgery let alone knee surgery terrifies me.

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I don't know what the citeria that as used but people almost NEVER get knee replacements at the ages you mention. There are other procedures that are more reasonable for the ages mentioned. I would not even entertain this idea. If you are working hard at the moment you are unlikely a candidate.

Your friend sort of did you a dis-service. Knee replacments tend not to be done until people are in their late 60's and normally it is only because you have pain soooo severe that you can't stand to move. Surgeons will not do it earlier for a number of reasons. A knee replacement will not do the same things as a normal knee so you are better off looking at a number of other procedures first that may make you more comfortable/extend the life of you knee.

Have you actually seen a medical professional ? If not you might be worrying yourself over nothing. I have treated many total knee replacements and there are quite clear criteria that your doctor/surgeon will consider before offering this sort of operation to you.

Get looked at first before you get too concerned.

Just sayin'

LFD

3. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

No, you are correct, I have been to the doctors several times in regards to my knees, but they have never address the problem properly. (In other words, they never bothered running test because im too young) which is why I asked a friend who could give me an idea. In her defense she did say I should get the opinion of a doctor, so I dont think she did me a disservice.

I have grinding in my knees, the knee cap vibrates a lot when I put pressure on them ( think leg extension)s, I have had them pop out of joint and give out climbing, lots of pressure along the side and around the knee cap after alot of activity.

Trust im not looking for a diagnostic from map members, and im not the type of person that will go for surgery as quick fix (I have never had surgery) and it will have to be dier before I got under the knife, I am terrified of the idea.

I am however concerned because it has been progressively been getting worst. All I was hoping for is how their experience was for those who had to have a knee procedure?

Added*

Just for the record, I live in Canada where medical care is inexpensive and the list for non-life threatening surgeries are very, very long... so even of I was accepted for such a procedure today, I'd be lucky if I got it by the time I was in my late 40s. (A friend of mine waited 12 years for her hip replacement surgery)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I've had knee surgery on both of my knees. One was martial arts related the other was the result of a serious motor crash. The surgery itself wasn't painful. The recovery was, more so psychologically than physically. But different people have different threshold's when it comes to pain. Recovery depends on the surgery and the severity of the problem. Both of my knee surgeries have taken me about 2 years to fully recover from. Both of my surgeries has had a major impact on what I do, these days I do Boxing because its easier on my knees than Muay Thai (and other martial arts that involve kicking).

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Right, I think I understand your situation a bit better.

A knee replacement is a major procedure for severe degenerative changes in the knee. This involves removing the top of the shin bone, the bottom of your thigh bone and removing your cruciate ligaments. You end up usually having a maximum of 115 degrees of knee flexion as the hardware will not safely work past this range without potential damage. This is ok and works well for alot of older people who suffer from intractable pain and restricted mobility.

http://physioworks.com.au/images/Injuries-Conditions/knee-replacement.png

I was at a conference a few weeks ago with a consultant orthpaedic surgeon (in his late 70's) who was one of the original designers of total knee replacements and continues to be involved in the industry to this day. His two sons are also both consultant surgeons. His son asked his dad , with his bad knees, would he have a knee replacement? The older surgeon said not yet thank you.

You have lots of potential ops that might work for you as well as other treatments. I think that the doctors don't always explain things well but they ALWAYS put people off these surgeries until absolutely necessary (unless you live somewhere where you can pay someone to do this... ).

Certainly recovery time varies with the surgery proposed but I would think it also depends on what you intend to do afterwards how long ''recovery'' will take

LFD

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Mate, listen to Late for Dinner, he's a chartered physio (your friend was a sports therapist, so am I, but we're nowhere near the same level as physios; a ST is essentially a personal trainer who knows how to do massages and other entry-level therapeutic interventions).

I had a THR done 5 years ago at age 25, but only because I had to (army injury related issue). The surgery had a massive impact on my life, and the only reason I could return to martial arts is because I was at such a high level prior to the procedure (not trying to blow my own trumpet here). Even now, I'm probably only 75% what I was before. I walk funny too. There are a number of limits I have to consider every day, and a second THR is something I need to think about in a few decades' time (the replacement will outlast me, but the bone around it won't).

Any kind of replacement surgery is the last thing you should be considering.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I got put under for a few hours for surgery.
    Woke up completely disorientated and I really didn't like that feeling. I was out and about walking (and went to a stag do) 2 days later). I was still bandaged up and stuff.

I shouldve taken another month or 2 off from training. What I did though was turn up to training but as padholder/waterboy. That in itself was too much and I didnt heal right and my knee has popped in/out since.

So my advice is rest rest rest (and listen to LFD)

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Thank you for the time guys.

I guess I have an excuse to learn escrima and bartitsu... not that I ever needed one.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Do prehab now, and either change the way you work or change your job, its not worth your ability to walk.